Harvest vs Kill Poll

Harvest or Kill, which is a better term for what we do?

• Harvest

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Kill

Votes: 150 82.9%

• Total voters
Like troutbum, I usually use "took", or "shot", also simply "hunted". Perhaps it's a regional slang thing too as I'm also in south central AK.

I wouldn't say "kill" though. Not out of PC but for accuracy. And it's just as easy to be more accurate with a different word. Everyone knows that taking, shooting, harvesting involves killing an animal. But not every killing involves taking great care to do so humanely and with honorable purpose.

I more often than not use kill, but also use shot, take, and sometimes though no often, use harvest. I don't much care for political correctness in any venue. The term harvest, to me, seems pretty applicable, right along side of kill, cause we do both. We manage (conserve) our game animals to keep populations to the point we can kill/harvest them without doing harm to the population. We grow them for mostly our own benefit, though there are side benefits as well.

The terms are not synonyms. I just searched the Colorado Regs and found the word "Harvest" over 20 times. "Kill" is also published (13 times) but "kill" is used in reference to the taking of the animals life. "Harvest" refers to removing the animal from the kill site, which is what is required for game hunting. Therefore, I kill AND harvest deer, vermin on the other hand, I simply kill.

jmez

WKR
I say kill/killed. I see no need to rub it in anyone's face, but I also don't see a need to gloss over what I'm really doing so as not to offend.

Of course in western South Dakota, about 99% of the time when someone finds out you went hunting their exact words are " Did you kill anything?"

ODB

WKR
I use kill, but it is only one word in hundreds that describe the event. If you are mindful of how you tell your story, using the word “kill” will have absolutely no effect. We should work on the rest of our words than worry about “kill.”

Need an option for 'both'. Which one I say depends on my audience. Several posters above describe the reasoning well.

Fitzwho

WKR
^^^This^^^

You kill an animal, then are required to harvest the edible portions of the kill/carcass (per state law for each species).

I unfortunately have killed quite a few tomato plants.

Farm animals are slaughtered. Wild game is killed. Meat is butchered and processed. Grains are harvested. Fruits and vegetables are picked. Something like that for the most part. Worked for decades if not centuries. Still works now. I tend to use use shot and killed interchangeably.

amp713

WKR
I killed a raccoon yesterday and I harvested a grouse today. But I'm trying to kill an elk and harvest the last of my garden this weekend.....

See how they work either way? Why do we care what word someone uses..... quit nitpicking stuff to death.

KurtR

WKR
I say kill/killed. I see no need to rub it in anyone's face, but I also don't see a need to gloss over what I'm really doing so as not to offend.

Of course in western South Dakota, about 99% of the time when someone finds out you went hunting their exact words are " Did you kill anything?"

yep I was thinking same thing. Add that I live in a little town and during deer season every one is looking in backs of pick ups for big deer and then congratulating strangers in the grocery store parking lots for killing a nice one. Hell we still put pictures in the paper when a kid kills his first deer. Reasons I will never leave Sodak