Harvest vs Kill Poll

Harvest or Kill, which is a better term for what we do?

• Harvest

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Kill

Votes: 150 82.9%

• Total voters

zankuleg

FNG
Our biologist has told us the last 3 years not to shoot any does on our north Sumter\south Pickens property. So none have been shot there.

My 15 year old son killed 2 does, a 7 point and 4 hogs in one weekend at a friends farm in Emmelle. They are soybean farmers and told him to shoot whatever he saw. The deer eat the money right out of his pocket every night.

And before people complain about his shooting that many in one weekend he hunted all day saturday and sunday. Killed the buck and a doe saturday morning. Killed 1 hog Saturday afternoon. 3 hogs Sunday morning and the last doe Sunday afternoon, We saw over 45 deer those 2 days and probably about 25 hogs. The place is overrun.

coyoteman

FNG
Killed or shot for me I guess...I think it's easier for the guys that farm or manage whitetails to use the term harvest..watch it grow for years and years all the while praying it doesn't cross on to public land and get killed by me or some other schmuck. Maybe someday I'll turn turn into a harvester but until then I'll just keep on shoot'n and kill'n lol

16Bore

WKR
If I’m talking to a snowflake, it’s “grocery shopping”

"It was me or the bear, so I harvested him."
"I made a perfect harvest shot."
"Coyotes are harvesting fawns like crazy."
"That guy is a stone cold harvester!"
"You could harvest a T Rex with that load."
"I see those big eyelashes and wonder how anyone could harvest it."

So there.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Harvest does not make sense to me when it comes to fair chase hunting. If you are going to harvest something, there isn't really any doubt of success.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I prefer murder. Kill just sounds too soft.

My wife's friends ask me if I "caught" anything when I get back from a hunt. I laugh every time!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How about slaughter? Now that's a term I can really appreciate, especially when talking to the pita types....although, I don't recall ever crossing paths with a pita person in AK.

amassi

WKR
Harvest out of respect and enjoyment for the activity--
In the Marine Corps we kill things we hate and I dont like to apply it to things I appreciate and enjoy. But, this isnt "1984" so the word police arent enforcing newspeak just yet so who the fart cares what someone calls taking an animal's life through the judicious application of lethal force.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: jsb

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure who's right but I'd be happy to use either one at this point in the season.

So far I've killed my legs and harvested some rubber off the bottom of my boots.

ptarmigan

FNG
I giggle when, mostly non-hunters, ask if I caught a deer this year. Caught implies it can be released again! I usually say: "No, I killed one...or I was hoping to kill one...."

I had never heard anybody say that until I moved to Alaska. Most Native Alaskans that I talk to about hunting use that term. They always say they "caught" a caribou, moose, or whatever.

Harvest? We did it to ourselves.

"I let him/her go for seed."
"I think we've got a good crop of fawns."
"She's a ripe old doe for sure."
"Easy pickings....just a forky!"

Actually 'harvest' is perfectly acceptable to me. Some might prefer to use it in polite company, or in describing their appreciation for a an animal they have taken for food. I don't agree with using the term to be politically correct or avoid the obvious fact that something had to bleed and die....just like chickens and lambs and calves.....in order to be harvested.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04