Harvesting Animals with CWD

I’ve been in the ADC field for nearly 40 years and worked on a couple of large scale deer culling projects.

Out of the 3000+ samples submitted I received back 21 positive results. Only two of those were surprises to me based on observations of the deer while living or immediately upon killing them.

During the early stages there are no outward visible cues. Once the incubation period has reached a short threshold you start to be able to see ques such as dehydration, sunken eyes, erratic era movement, etc.

CWD much like anthrax has been around since the dawn of time. You’re far more likely to die from a lightning strike or e coli tainted fast food then CWD tainted wild game.

I’ve been to dozens of seminars regarding CWD. Much like global warming there’s a whole lot of the sky is falling effect going on with no real long-term data to back it up.

30 years of data on CWD and 100 or so years of data on climate change does not a scientific consensus make. Meanwhile there’s a lot of “researchers “cashing in on both

psu927

FNG
in our area any deer shot have to be processed on site, and you can cut off and label the head and send it in for testing. They have on site dumpsters at game lands for such use.

88man

FNG
Just think all the CWD deer the coyotes and Lions are getting in the later stages

88man

FNG
I’ve been in the ADC field for nearly 40 years and worked on a couple of large scale deer culling projects.

Out of the 3000+ samples submitted I received back 21 positive results. Only two of those were surprises to me based on observations of the deer while living or immediately upon killing them.

During the early stages there are no outward visible cues. Once the incubation period has reached a short threshold you start to be able to see ques such as dehydration, sunken eyes, erratic era movement, etc.

CWD much like anthrax has been around since the dawn of time. You’re far more likely to die from a lightning strike or e coli tainted fast food then CWD tainted wild game.

I’ve been to dozens of seminars regarding CWD. Much like global warming there’s a whole lot of the sky is falling effect going on with no real long-term data to back it up.

30 years of data on CWD and 100 or so years of data on climate change does not a scientific consensus make. Meanwhile there’s a lot of “researchers “cashing in on both
Dont bring climate change up on this board as there is another hunting forum and they talk about it every day!!!

I hear a lot of guys say they would eat a CWD positive animal as there's never been a documented case of transmission to humans. However, they still recommend you don't eat the meat. The question I would ask is would you feel comfortable feeding the meat to your children? Regardless of what I "think" is safe, I won't knowingly feed a CWD positive animal to my kids until it is stated to be safe by the state/gov. I do a lot of things that aren't safe, but I won't subject my kids to the same and I won't keep a food product in my house (that my family would assume to be safe) if I can't feed my whole family with it.
"Hi we're from the government and we're here to help care for your health..." 😂😂😂😂

WCB

WKR
Besides that there hasn’t been a link to a human with CWD, the other side of the topic to be aware of is how much humans are influencing the rapid spread of CWD.
Practices like bait piles, placing scents, or the use of urine based scents are becoming illegal. These things artificially congregate deer, and increase the likelihood of transmitting the disease.

How remains are disposed of is also a huge contributing factor.
Tossing the guts and bones in the back 40 creates the potential for ‘hot spots’ where deer can uptake the prions, or scavengers can spread the prions across the landscape through their feces.

If you were to look at all the culminated statistical data over the last 10 years available from all the impacted states, the current trend of the spread of CWD paints a grim picture.
States that have never had positives, but test the same amount of animals annually, are being added to the states that now have CWD in the wild herds.
Sorry but the practice of having bait piles or using scent being a major driver is absolutely BS. People saying this must not know what a licking branch is? or a natural mineral lick? scrape? Has anyone ever seen wintering grounds where 100+ (maybe hundreds) of deer gather and are constantly interacting with each other?

Deer are herd animals and interact nose to nose all the time

rob86jeep

WKR
At the risk of getting off on a tangent, that's the same government that is telling you that you need a COVID vaccination and that masks are mandatory.
I shouldn't have said gov. I meant scientific research but I'm sure after science determines it to be ok/not ok then the DNR or state agencies will be the ones pushing out the studies to the people.

Sorry but the practice of having bait piles or using scent being a major driver is absolutely BS. People saying this must not know what a licking branch is? or a natural mineral lick? scrape? Has anyone ever seen wintering grounds where 100+ (maybe hundreds) of deer gather and are constantly interacting with each other?

Deer are herd animals and interact nose to nose all the time

Actually, you’re wrong.
Bait piles/salt blocks ect..have been PROVEN TO CONTAIN CWD passed on from CWD positive animals,

I do know what a licking branch is, as well as what a natural mineral site is, along with what a scrape is…
What’s your point?
One has absolutely zero to do with the other.

Wintering grounds?
Yep, they exist naturally and made made.
Like, the Estes Park golf course, where the Estes park elk herd has the highest CWD prevalence of any herd in the state.

Yep, herd animals have continual natural social contact.
What’s your point?
One has absolutely zero to do with the other.