Has anybody ever used Cuben Fiber rain gear?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking about trying it out also but I have good rain gear right now and I haven't wanted to spend the money just to try it. I think the Zpacks stuff would work perfect for my uses.

For the price and durability risk, I would prefer a good quality rain jacket like a KUIU. Even if it cost more.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The weight savings would be the reason for getting it hammer. Cuben is actually pretty tough but you would still have to be careful with it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
SHTF, it is pretty noisy for sure. The rain gear I wear now is noisy as hell too though. (Marmot precip pants and Mountain Hardware coat)

I think the cuben fiber rain gear would work well for rifle hunting when you don't expect to have to wear it all the time. More for passing storms or wearing while glassing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hear its awfully noisy

All the cuben fiber stuff I've been around is.

Some of the companies that make cuben fiber pack, state that they are not as robust as their other packs made of different materials. For items and garments that see a lot of use (rain gear) I think the weight savings is not worth the noise/cost/and lack of abrasion resistance for me atleast.

IMO there are better options out there for UL rain gear. For example, I have used my GoLite Malpais (7 oz and $125) up here in Alaska with success...nope not as robust as my Kryptek Koldo, but its 1/4 the weight and for me its worth it.

Heck I was wearing it when I shot my grizz in June.....don't let GoLite see this...using their tent and jacket to kill bear...oops :)

http://vimeo.com/68429410