Has anybody seen the new Victory VAP SS arrow?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
This arrow was at ATA, and looks absolutely amazing. Victory has the specs on their website but they aren't going to hit the market until April. Wondering if anyone has had their eyes on them yet and what some opinions might be.
vap ss.jpg

wysongdog

WKR
I haven't yet but they look really sweet. They may just be in my quiver for elk season. Will have to get some and try them

dkime

WKR
156$ a dozen for .006” shafts, .204 with a half out, and is still probably subject to bending. I’ll let someone else be a guinea pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what's the theory with the stainless? I read about them, but it sounds really gimmicky.... they talk about the stainless in the shafts, but no real reasoning

OP
jakelogsdon

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
It's like a stainless mesh or something actually embedded in the carbon. I dont think they are subject to bend, but I could be wrong. I'm going to try them when I can get my hands on some and will post a review.

COLT45

FNG
I bought 2 dozen back in March. Awesome shafts and the 50 grain insert was nice to add some foc

dkime

WKR
It’s a .165 diameter, not .204

5b84151437a55b80c4394ae41f062b4e.jpg

Do they know that? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COLT45

FNG
What spine did u get and what was your total weight?
I am shooting the 350’s. Haven't weighed them but they are cut to 26” carbon to carbon and using the 50 grain insert with a 100 grain head. So im prob just a lil over 400 gpi with the fletching and nock added in. Im shooting a 72 lb vertix @ 26.5 DL.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using the vapp ss in 250 spine and I'm not very impressed with them with regards to durability. Week old and I already have had two break. One mid shaft the other behind the insert. The flight though is amazing.

They were a pain to get to spin true as well 10/12 good, one meh the other is way out of tolerance.

Arrow is 28" carbon to carbon, ethics inserts (Alu post, ss footer) and 150grain head. Total arrow weight of 605 grains'ish. Foc no clue, but guessing around 17-20% from where it balances on my finger, I don't really care so much for FOC anyways, more a durable arrow , because if you build them with tough components it should be there.

Now, I expect some to breakor lose some as it's the nature of the beast, but so far I'm not.impressed with durability given these shafts are suppose to be tough . Last time I saw results like this it was due to thin wall thickness on the shaft. Those arrows were in the 7gpi range though and out of an 80lb bow, so that was kind of expected they would blow up on impact.

Maybe those were just two defective arrows, and the rest will be stellar? Its also my first foray into 166 arrows I normally shoot 204 as I always felt they were tougher due to the area the forces are spread over. I also have to realize I'm shootimg the arrow with a fairly heavy tip weight about 270 grains if Im remembering the ethics insert weight correctly, when most of these are designed for a lot less, so maybe the arrow is experiencing to much forces and causing the blow out?

Anyways, I'll continue to shoot them, but doubtful I'll be buying any more, to pricey here in Canada by the time you bought the arrows and good components your in the 30-40 dollar range for an arrow, not to mention they are difficult to get, where I can walk I to lost shops and get a dozen axis arrows.

Picture of the break on the attached arrow it is a very clean break, no tear out on the carbon like I normally see on mid shaft breaks. The second Arrow I don't seem to have a pic off. See if I can find it, hopefully I didnt toss the shaft already as it was the other day.
4323e1c151ba4fdfd7be0a9c9e3f0f47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

buggz

FNG
Wow.
Please tell Victory about the failures.
Not that I am in any way affiliated, just another customer.
I am testing both the Xtorsion and the SS Elites.

I bought a dozen sport 350 spine. Penetration is seems good on targets, no animals yet. No durability issues like you had either. Turkey will b first real test in few weeks.

Spiegel

FNG
I've used 250 Xtorsions and have no issue with durability, if anything I was pleasantly surprised by them. And someone mentioned FOC about them, I thought the stainless mesh was to help add overall weight of the arrow and not help with FOC

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Wow.
Please tell Victory about the failures.
Not that I am in any way affiliated, just another customer.
I am testing both the Xtorsion and the SS Elites.
One thing I've learned in this indistry is the arrow manufactures do not care. We have a built arrows and I consideryaelf lucky if I get 10/12 on a 0.001 tolerance arrow to get it to spin true. It should be 12/12 and all the arrows consistent. Nock tuning shouldn't be a thing but it is because the qc is severely lacking.

Now there are a few xo.kanies out there that are smaller and take pride in. The arrows they sell and go out of the way if the customer has arrows out of tolerance.

Right now I'm debating going to those premium companies to get better qc, however I'd also like to find a relatively decently priced arrow that is quality I like. So far that is the Easton axis arrows. I can buy 12 bareshaft match grade for 169 cdn dollars , everything else I buy in the 0.001 tolerance is well over 200 cdn. Think I'm just gonna go back to those and call it a day.

Overwire

FNG
I'm using the vapp ss in 250 spine and I'm not very impressed with them with regards to durability. Week old and I already have had two break. One mid shaft the other behind the insert. The flight though is amazing.

They were a pain to get to spin true as well 10/12 good, one meh the other is way out of tolerance.

Arrow is 28" carbon to carbon, ethics inserts (Alu post, ss footer) and 150grain head. Total arrow weight of 605 grains'ish. Foc no clue, but guessing around 17-20% from where it balances on my finger, I don't really care so much for FOC anyways, more a durable arrow , because if you build them with tough components it should be there.

Now, I expect some to breakor lose some as it's the nature of the beast, but so far I'm not.impressed with durability given these shafts are suppose to be tough . Last time I saw results like this it was due to thin wall thickness on the shaft. Those arrows were in the 7gpi range though and out of an 80lb bow, so that was kind of expected they would blow up on impact.

Maybe those were just two defective arrows, and the rest will be stellar? Its also my first foray into 166 arrows I normally shoot 204 as I always felt they were tougher due to the area the forces are spread over. I also have to realize I'm shootimg the arrow with a fairly heavy tip weight about 270 grains if Im remembering the ethics insert weight correctly, when most of these are designed for a lot less, so maybe the arrow is experiencing to much forces and causing the blow out?

Anyways, I'll continue to shoot them, but doubtful I'll be buying any more, to pricey here in Canada by the time you bought the arrows and good components your in the 30-40 dollar range for an arrow, not to mention they are difficult to get, where I can walk I to lost shops and get a dozen axis arrows.

Picture of the break on the attached arrow it is a very clean break, no tear out on the carbon like I normally see on mid shaft breaks. The second Arrow I don't seem to have a pic off. See if I can find it, hopefully I didnt toss the shaft already as it was the other day.
4323e1c151ba4fdfd7be0a9c9e3f0f47.jpg

What did the arrows hit to cause the breaks? I’ve had a similar experience with the the VAP TKO’s any time they impact anything relatively hard (such as a tree trunk). The regular VAPs seem to be tougher in such situations in my experience.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Cold rhinehart target that sits outside all year at the range. its hard, but not that hard.

Had one literally blow up into a million pieces today. I forgot to adjust my sight for 50yds and left it at 80 i was shooting at previously and launched it square into a tree. oddly it didn't stick and it blew up. wasn't expecting it to survive, but most arrows i have shot into a tree stick into them, these exploded.

Anyways, I don't expect arrows to not break when hitting things/etc, i just am not impressed with the durability of these at all. My easton axis arrows have been thru the ringer and are significantly cheaper. and they do not explode unless the glance off a branch and hit a tree sideways. even then the breaks are not straight across, they tear out.

I'm going to just not bother using these again, oddly i have talked to others whom have all said that this is quite common for victory arrows. never heard it before, but others have talked to me about this being an issue with victory arrows in general.