Has Anyone Done a True DIY?

cfdjay

WKR
In other words you didn't pay anyone to pick the hunting area for you. You found the area or shove off point for your raft and just went after it.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, every year until becoming an outfitter.
Little different for me being an Alberta resident and can bow hunt moose every year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sure, for my CO moose......no raft needed. I was actually helping a buddy out with his first archery elk hunt when I shot my moose. I was even carrying my bugle tube.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Probably should've been more specific and said Alaska

So you mean no hiring of a air charter to drop you off at a place you selected as well correct? It would be interesting to know how many non res come up here and kill a moose without hiring a air charter to get out to a spot. I would guess 90% of ak residents do a "true diy" every year. we did our first real moose hunt last year and shot a forkie that was more work then i thought it would have been. learned a big lesson and i will never try to drag a raft 5 miles up a glacial river (or any river in that matter) again. We thought we were gettting away from people but guess what, ended up being a atv trail all the way out there. The people we met on the ATVs were real nice and couldnt belive we went up there in a raft. I told them they wouldnt have to worry about ever seeing us again in that spot.

So you mean no hiring of a air charter to drop you off at a place you selected as well correct? It would be interesting to know how many non res come up here and kill a moose without hiring a air charter to get out to a spot. I would guess 90% of ak residents do a "true diy" every year. we did our first real moose hunt last year and shot a forkie that was more work then i thought it would have been. learned a big lesson and i will never try to drag a raft 5 miles up a glacial river (or any river in that matter) again. We thought we were gettting away from people but guess what, ended up being a atv trail all the way out there. The people we met on the ATVs were real nice and couldnt belive we went up there in a raft. I told them they wouldnt have to worry about ever seeing us again in that spot.
That’s a story that I’m afraid will happen to me, but I know I’ll laugh if it does.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
2012 trailered OHVs to AK. Bought tags at Walmart. Drove OHVs into the tundra. Went 3 for 3 on bulls.

Great trip.

galamb

FNG
I have "never" used an outfitter for moose and have been hunting them since the 1970's.

But I have lived in Ontario and Newfoundland for a total of 45 of those years so knew where I was going and didn't need the help.

As I have gotten older and softer I no longer hard camp but instead rent a cabin at an outfitter and bring the ATV to get me to where I will start walking.

My very unpopular opinion is that Alaska could use about 10x the amount of nonmotorized hunting zones near the road system than it currently has. I'm afraid my house may be burnt down if I ever submitted a proposal along those lines. I would like to see more opportunity for guys that don't have an ATV or plane to do things like you described and get in deep powered by straight up grit.

i would stand by your house with a fire extinguisher! it was funny talking to those guys. they were really upset that other people use "their trail" to get back to the area with atvs and make ruts/ruin the trail. The thing is if you make a trail on public land people are going to use it. They came off pretty heated at first until they found out we dragged the boat up the river, then they started to be more friendly.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
My children were raised on moose, dip-netted salmon, halibut taken in my zodiac, and an occasional caribou and black bear. No commercial services of any kind ever used for twenty-five years...total DIY in the strictest sense of the definition.

Ten years ago, I reached the point that I was tired of watching more and more people pushing further and further out into remote hunting areas via advanced motorized access vehicles. I did not want to continue spending hard-earned vacation time to hunt and enjoy our wonderful state, just to be progressively pushed and eventually crowded by others...dip-netting aside!! I finally took a friend up on his multiple offers to fly me out and drop me off in the middle of nowhere in western Alaska, and I've got to say that it has been totally wonderful with complete remote solitude for hunting, hundred-mile pack-rafting and fly-fishing heaven for ten years now...two trips a year, each year...waaaay worth every single penny to use his flight services for transport. Therefore, I guess I'm no longer a DIY person?

Edit: I put a question mark at the end of my last sentence.

Last edited:
OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
My children were raised on moose, dip-netted salmon, halibut taken in my zodiac, and an occasional caribou and black bear. No commercial services of any kind ever used for twenty-five years...total DIY in the strictest sense of the definition.

Ten years ago, I reached the point that I was tired of watching more and more people pushing further and further out into remote hunting areas via advanced motorized access vehicles. I did not want to continue spending hard-earned vacation time to hunt and enjoy our wonderful state, just to be progressively pushed and eventually crowded by others...dip-netting aside!! I finally took a friend up on his multiple offers to fly me out and drop me off in the middle of nowhere in western Alaska, and I've got to say that it has been totally wonderful with complete remote solitude for hunting, hundred-mile pack-rafting and fly-fishing heaven for ten years now...two trips a year, each year...waaaay worth every single penny to use his flight services for transport. Therefore, I guess I'm no longer a DIY person.

Maybe not but what an awesome story...sort of....if you know what I mean

I don't get the feeling this thread is about defining 'true' diy....maybe more about the possibility of a nonresident arriving in-state and hunting moose without the help (and extra cost) of hiring other services. We all know it's possible. We also know there's a very big and steep learning curve to organizing your own moose hunt....carrying it out unassisted...and getting into a good moose area. It can certainly be done, though it's a very tall order for a nonresident first-time up there hunter. I admire anyone who tries it simply for the effort required.

I personally require a full backcountry experience devoid of other hunters, jet boats, atv ruts and signs of man. That means I'm hiring a pilot. I still have to hunt and work my guts out with a severe gear weight limit. I hunt exclusively with a stickbow in an area which isn't known for lots of huge bulls. It requires a lot of dedication to go there knowing I'm coming home hungry unless I can get 20 yards from a bull. Anything killed gets the full backpack treatment back to camp, vs using an atv or boat.

Pilot or no pilot....moose hunting and killing is a tough business. You can be assured you'll work very hard, unless you happen to get very lucky.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
I don't get the feeling this thread is about defining 'true' diy....maybe more about the possibility of a nonresident arriving in-state and hunting moose without the help (and extra cost) of hiring other services. We all know it's possible. We also know there's a very big and steep learning curve to organizing your own moose hunt....carrying it out unassisted...and getting into a good moose area. It can certainly be done, though it's a very tall order for a nonresident first-time up there hunter. I admire anyone who tries it simply for the effort required.

I personally require a full backcountry experience devoid of other hunters, jet boats, atv ruts and signs of man. That means I'm hiring a pilot. I still have to hunt and work my guts out with a severe gear weight limit. I hunt exclusively with a stickbow in an area which isn't known for lots of huge bulls. It requires a lot of dedication to go there knowing I'm coming home hungry unless I can get 20 yards from a bull. Anything killed gets the full backpack treatment back to camp, vs using an atv or boat.

Pilot or no pilot....moose hunting and killing is a tough business. You can be assured you'll work very hard, unless you happen to get very lucky.

Phenomenal and very accurate take on the intent of the post. "TRUE DIY" is subjective.