Has Anyone Done a True DIY?

I got dropped off in a float plane at a remote cabin 6 years in a row.

So I guess it wasn't a true DIY but there is no such thing for a NR where I hunted.

We killed 3 bulls (all with bows).

Finally got priced out of that game. I miss it badly.

Ten years ago, I reached the point that I was tired of watching more and more people pushing further and further out into remote hunting areas via advanced motorized access vehicles. I did not want to continue spending hard-earned vacation time to hunt and enjoy our wonderful state, just to be progressively pushed and eventually crowded by others...dip-netting aside!! I finally took a friend up on his multiple offers to fly me out and drop me off in the middle of nowhere in western Alaska, and I've got to say that it has been totally wonderful with complete remote solitude for hunting, hundred-mile pack-rafting and fly-fishing heaven for ten years now...two trips a year, each year...waaaay worth every single penny to use his flight services for transport. Therefore, I guess I'm no longer a DIY person?
You're a do-it-yourself dude in my handbook Doc. It's all relative anyway. If diy really meant we all had to do it without the help of others.....any others.....then few would qualify under those stringent limits. My wife will tell you there's no truth to my claims of doing a diy hunt....she's the first, last and most important legs of my transport plans!
:ROFLMAO:

AKDoc

WKR
You're a do-it-yourself dude in my handbook Doc. It's all relative anyway. If diy really meant we all had to do it without the help of others.....any others.....then few would qualify under those stringent limits. My wife will tell you there's no truth to my claims of doing a diy hunt....she's the first, last and most important legs of my transport plans!
:ROFLMAO:
Back at you KD!!! I totally agree with your perspective on DIY, as well as the primary importance of having a wonderful wife at the core of each trip...we share that (and many other things) in common, sir.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Guess most of my AK moose hunts don’t qualify as do it yourself hunts. Like KD And AKDoc, I use a flight service to get to my destination then everything after that is on me. Most of my elk hunting in Montana fits cfdjay’s definition Of do it yourself hunts.

Yep that’s what we did in 2020

92f6d746b2b2e57ba3ca19dd8da5c1db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Guess most of my AK moose hunts don’t qualify as do it yourself hunts. Like KD And AKDoc, I use a flight service to get to my destination then everything after that is on me. Most of my elk hunting in Montana fits cfdjay’s definition Of do it yourself hunts.

Most certainly the term "DIY" is subjective at best. As stated before it's a rather new term in the grand scheme of hunting and I can only speak for myself on what it means. I am not afraid to admit it comes from a place of pride for me. In a world where people pay for simplicity and ease their way into "success" (whatever that is) I have lines to what I consider DIY when it comes to the outdoors and hunting.

It's honestly one of the things that attracts me to these forums the most. There seems to be many like minded people.

I have boundaries for myself as to what I consider DIY (for myself). For example, if I'm able to do it then I try to find a way to not pay someone else to. We can certainly get into the weeds with this and I'm certainly not looking to debate. It's a matter of opinion and personal choice. Nothing more. A good example is using a pilot/transporter to get from point A to point B. Can I fly? Am I a pilot? No. Is it the only way to get there? Yes.

Now, can I find animals on my own? Can I read maps? Can I network, make friends and talk to people for info? Yes

So using a pilot for transportation solely vs using a transporter guide service to put you on animals AND handle much of your logistics is a different thing. Again, solely my opinion and in no way am I saying that anyone else's is wrong.

Thank you guys for your feedback in the post. It's been incredible.

And HAPPY EASTER

I have only been hunting up here for 10 years and the hardest thing I have found to deal with is how to get away from other people when hunting the road system. The easiest way is to buy sxs and carry more gas then everyone else that gets expensive and seems like you could do a couple flyout trips for the price of them sxs and you wont see anyone else. Of all the big game hunts up here I have done the thing that has taken the most work and time is just trying to figure out how to find areas with good habitat that other people are to lazy to get to. One that comes to mind is hiking in 13 miles to go caribou hunting. No one was there and as soon as it opened to atvs the last 2 days, a big group came in to hunt for 2 days. I do wish they had more areas walk in only like on the Denali hwy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk