Has anyone ever measured how loud their compound bow is?

Elite

WKR
I have a Elite Ritual. And it used to be whisper quiet from what I remember but now it’s has some noise while shooting it . I have had the timing checked and every bolt on it. Shot it with out the sight and it’s still noisy I find. So I downloaded a decimal level app and highest I got was 81-82. Just curious if this is a normal amount of noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can look at grabbing an app for your phone, such as NIOSH SLM, and take readings. Log them over time.

Should also be able to do it with clothing.

Have you changed your arrow weight? I notice a significant increase in bow noise when I switch from heavy (550-600 gr) hunting arrows to light (low 400's) 3D arrows. This is just perceived noise though; I've never attempted to actually measure the decibels.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Ive tried the app and a cheap Db meter- i didnt get consistent readings from either.

After seeing hundreds of animals die to an arrow I’m a believer in a quiet bow. It’s one of my top criteria.

I think the quality of the sound matters: A low thump gets less reaction than a sharper thwack, IME.

I shot for Onieda back in the day and the loud slap from that bow got animals flinching and ducking on every shot- it was an eye opener.

it’s counterintuitive but the faster the arrow(= louder bow) the more animal movement to wreck your shot locations.

Last edited:
Ive tried the app and a cheap Db meter- i didnt get consistent readings from either.

After seeing hundreds of animals die to an arrow I’m a believer in a quiet bow. It’s one of my top criteria.

I think the quality of the sound matters: A low thump gets less reaction than a sharper thwack, IME.

I shot for Onieda back in the day and the loud slap from that bow got animals flinching and ducking on every shot- it was an eye opener.

it’s counterintuitive but the faster the arrow the more animal movement to wreck your shot locations.

DiD yOu tRy ShoOtiNg a HeAvY ArRoW OveR 600 GrAiNs?!

I shot 2 deer last year with my Realm at 65# on comfort and a 450g arrow. Neither ducked or ran. Just hopped and looked around then walking off and expiring.

Will_m

WKR
DiD yOu tRy ShoOtiNg a HeAvY ArRoW OveR 600 GrAiNs?!

I shot 2 deer last year with my Realm at 65# on comfort and a 450g arrow. Neither ducked or ran. Just hopped and looked around then walking off and expiring.
I'm impressed at the dedication to trolling it must have taken to type out this first sentence.

I didnt know what it was, I try to give guys the benefit of the doubt Even if they drank the Ranchfairyashbykoolaid- grin

Now YOU on the other hand.......are too much of a dedicated bowhunter to be a troll.

Ahh, you see sir, I troll the rest of the forum....

We could make a good dumpster fire with the I don't want to buy ammo for grizzly thread.

I have hunted with arrows up to 840 grains.

Ive seen hundreds of animals killed with arrows from 360gr to the 840’s. The difference in noise between my 500gr compound arrow and one thats 100-150gr more is not significant but the trajectory sure is.
There is a diminishing return in going with a very heavy arrow.

IMO, A good 450-550 gr arrow gives most guys the best of all worlds.

-

You're absolutely correct. However Oneida shooters will tell you they're only loud because you're shooting an arrow that doesn't weight 700+. As if compounds don't experience the same dynamics.
I didnt know what it was, I try to give guys the benefit of the doubt Even if they drank the Ranchfairyashbykoolaid- grin

Now YOU on the other hand.......are too much of a dedicated bowhunter to be a troll.

Pure sarcasm. Oneida fan boys and RF fan boys are in the same overlap