Has anyone figured out a hunting bipod yet?

Harris swivel, 9-13” with the segmented lower legs for prone or backpack and the 13-27” for sitting. Sounds like Harris just isn’t in fashion though even though they work great and you can probably get two of each for the price of something that is in prc fashion? Just go with sling swivel versions, take no time to put on also. Then use for any other rifles in the safe as well.

Over the pack for mountain hunts. The prone bipod for more day hunts, range work, specific but less common used for hunts, just rides in truck depending if plan to stalk and set up from a bare ridge top and don’t need a pack. Sitting height works well for predator calling or other sits and having in the pack for more more general purpose day hunting.

A guy also needs taller adjustable length sticks or trigger grip sticks for blinds. That should cover most needs.

Speaking only as a hunter here so maybe you’re inquiring for something that will be more specific for a competitive shooting sport of some kind?

I know it would seem weird to have anything less than several hundred dollars attached to a fancy hunting rifle but that’s a mental issue. They are largely as useful as a sling and they ride as an accessory that goes with my sling but not always do they head afield, mission specific luxuries that only go when likely useful. Kind of like throwing gloves and a toque in the pack for your head and hands but for your rifle. 😉

I have a few different bi-pods on my rifles and hardly ever use them when hunting, find it faster and easier to just rest off the back pack.

Seeknelk

WKR
Spartan Javelin on my 300 PRC. 10" gong at 1055 is usually taking a beating. Rear support matters a ton also at distance. On this long range forum.

Spartan Javelin tall(I think? Names have changed) with gunsmith adapters flush in several guns. Weights about 6oz. Rides in vest pocket, snaps in place in seconds, kill shit, go pack it out. Plenty solid to get hits at 1 mile ,300 PRC. I'll never pack 10oz or more always attached to front of stock, again.
My only hesitation with this is not having a rest for steep angle shots, or taking shot from a steep angle. I’ve been using a hatch and logs it but yes the weight is annoying.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve used my Hatch all fall, and the Javelin last fall. And the Atlas at the range. I go back and confirm my original assertion.

The atlas is either too short or too long , depending on the configuration. Near worthless in the field, but has the best mechanics and leg deployment front to back (push a button).

The javelin is ok for what it is, but it’s not very versatile nor solid. It wiggles too much. Height options are limited to fixed leg length.

The Hatch is the most useful and versatile, but that damn front to back leg deployment method is just ridiculous. Really frustrating, unnecessarily difficult and sloppy. You can tell it was redneck engineered in someone’s garage.

Blend the Atlas’ mechanics with the Hatch’s leg’s versatility, and the Javelin’s carbon fiber lightness, and you’d have perfect. But evidently that’s too challenging, or it costs a mint.

Seeknelk

WKR
I’ve used my Hatch all fall, and the Javelin last fall. And the Atlas at the range. I go back and confirm my original assertion.

The atlas is either too short or too long , depending on the configuration. Near worthless in the field, but has the best mechanics and leg deployment front to back (push a button).

The javelin is ok for what it is, but it’s not very versatile nor solid. It wiggles too much. Height options are limited to fixed leg length.

The Hatch is the most useful and versatile, but that damn front to back leg deployment method is just ridiculous. Really frustrating, unnecessarily difficult and sloppy. You can tell it was redneck engineered in someone’s garage.

Blend the Atlas’ mechanics with the Hatch’s leg’s versatility, and the Javelin’s carbon fiber lightness, and you’d have perfect. But evidently that’s too challenging, or it costs a mint.
So the spartan doesn't come with telescoping legs anymore? Mine just twist and slide up or down.
It would be nice if it had 4" to 36" 4oz legs that locked in any angle and still weighed nothing. There's just a point where you have to use your pack and/or tripod and improvise. Or hire a dude to always be with you hauling a RRS Anvil tripod set up , ready to slip it under your gun😂. Probably cheaper than some options.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
So the spartan doesn't come with telescoping legs anymore? Mine just twist and slide up or down.
It would be nice if it had 4" to 36" 4oz legs that locked in any angle and still weighed nothing. There's just a point where you have to use your pack and/or tripod and improvise. Or hire a dude to always be with you hauling a RRS Anvil tripod set up , ready to slip it under your gun😂. Probably cheaper than some options.
The Spartan legs telescope a little bit, just not enough to be that useful. The Hatch will go super low for downhill prone, or plenty tall enough for seated/kneeling. Like I said, by far the most useful. The functionality is the best out there. My complaint is just the engineering oversight in how the legs are folded front to back is annoying. It’s just a dumb design and could have been more well thought out, ala Atlas and push a button to move the legs.

Seeknelk

WKR

The Spartan legs telescope a little bit, not enough to be that useful. The Hatch will go super low for downhill prone, or seated/kneeling. Like I said, by far the most useful. And my complaints are not so bad that it’s unusable in the field, far from it, it’s just the engineering oversights are mildly annoying.
Yeah I guess my older Spartan is probably only adjusting 4". I'm actually very shocked at basically being able to shoot almost all critters since getting it... prone. From bighorn to blackbear. Plains to NW Montana jungle. Kinda weird.

The hatch is a good hunting bipod. I get annoyed with it just doing range work. It’s a little sloppy and has too much play for my liking. I’ve got an atlas now that I think gives me slightly tighter groups at 600+.

Lately I’ve alternated between brining the atlas and also my trekking pole shooting sticks (wiser precision, they’re awesome), and brining the hatch. Killed animals with all three of these this fall and it’s sort of a toss up for me still.

Make the hatch with less play in the legs and spiked feet, and I’d be done trying other options. Might actually DIY some spiked feet and call it good. If you can preload the legs enough the play is a non issue, but the rotating rubber feet are harder to effectively preload for sure.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The hatch is a good hunting bipod. I get annoyed with it just doing range work. It’s a little sloppy and has too much play for my liking. I’ve got an atlas now that I think gives me slightly tighter groups at 600+.

Lately I’ve alternated between brining the atlas and also my trekking pole shooting sticks (wiser precision, they’re awesome), and brining the hatch. Killed animals with all three of these this fall and it’s sort of a toss up for me still.

Make the hatch with less play in the legs and spiked feet, and I’d be done trying other options. Might actually DIY some spiked feet and call it good. If you can preload the legs enough the play is a non issue, but the rotating rubber feet are harder to effectively preload for sure.
That slop in the legs is because of that screw and friction washer design. The screw needs to be loose enough to allow for the legs to fold. Tighten it up to take out the slop and you can’t move the legs. Just dumb.

That slop in the legs is because of that screw and friction washer design. The screw needs to be loose enough to allow for the legs to fold. Tighten it up to take out the slop and you can’t move the legs. Just dumb.
Let’s head up the R and D department of the Rokslide special bipod and make something perfect

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own atlas, hatch, Harris, & mdt ckye pod… when I want the best of the best especially when hunting with a magnum gun - ckye pod all the way. It’s the heaviest but worth packing it for the best performance. I get super frustrated with using an atlas in field… it’s never the right height and changing out the legs is a pain. I really like the hatch’s versatility. I love how you can extend one leg down to your hip and have a very sturdy hold while taking a standing upright offhand shot. I agree the shortcomings of Hatch, but they don’t bug me enough to not use it, especially in the snow. I go back and forth, but if Im anticipating long range shooting I go ckye pod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, Hatch is the only bipod I have used or been around that is worth packing in western mountains. If there was better I’d buy it no matter the cost. I think it is vital to have a bipod that can be deployed in seconds to shoot ACCURATELY in any topography, (uphill, downhill, side hill etc) I’ve seen to many giant bucks slip away….

Hatch was definitely built by western hunters.

I’ve watched guys screw around with a variety of bipods, most take waaaaay to long to shoot accurately off in many conditions. In hunting, set up time is to valuable.

Having said that, I really wish Hatch would fix some of the issues you have mentioned. Until then I’m going to use it because it’s so far better than all other I have tried or been around.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
In my opinion, Hatch is the only bipod I have used or been around that is worth packing in western mountains. If there was better I’d buy it no matter the cost. I think it is vital to have a bipod that can be deployed in seconds to shoot ACCURATELY in any topography, (uphill, downhill, side hill etc) I’ve seen to many giant bucks slip away….

I’ve watched guys screw around with a variety of bipods, most take waaaaay to long to shoot accurately off in many conditions. In hunting, set up time is to valuable.

Having said that, I really wish Hatch would fix some of the issues you have mentioned. Until then I’m going to use it because it’s so far better than all other I have tried or been around.
My sentiments exactly. But why don’t they fix the problems?

ID_Matt

WKR

Have you compared the hatch to a MDT triple pull?