Has anyone gone from sliders back to fixed?

I'm surprised reading thru this how many set a top pin for 20. I find it a lot easier to set a top pin for 25 so I gain another 5 on the back end. 20-25 doesn't matter imo for hunting accuracy. However I find that additional 5 on the far side to be helpful. If that's 45 or 65. I have thought of going to 30 for 3 pin.

I'm surprised reading thru this how many set a top pin for 20. I find it a lot easier to set a top pin for 25 so I gain another 5 on the back end. 20-25 doesn't matter imo for hunting accuracy. However I find that additional 5 on the far side to be helpful. If that's 45 or 65. I have thought of going to 30 for 3 pin.

I used to do that when I was on a fixed multi pin 25, 35, 45, 55, 65.. Now I'm at 20 and 35 for my 2 pin slider

Same thing tho, why not set them further?

I bounce around between 3 and 5 pin sliders, just don't see the point of 20.

I could ask you the converse. I'm an East coast hunter. I've shot exactly 1 deer over 65 yards. killed maybe 2 between 35 and 45. maybe killed 25 deer between 5 and 25 yards.. I rarely have 40 yard+ opportunities. so I have less reason to have a 5 pin sight. heck... I should probably have a 12 yard and 25 yard pin

I could ask you the converse. I'm an East coast hunter. I've shot exactly 1 deer over 65 yards. killed maybe 2 between 35 and 45. maybe killed 25 deer between 5 and 25 yards.. I rarely have 40 yard+ opportunities. so I have less reason to have a 5 pin sight. heck... I should probably have a 12 yard and 25 yard pin

Well 12 yards and 25 are the same on my cut chart, so I don't worry about closer than that.

We hunt the same state, I just want to maximize my yardage whenever I can, I do tend to hunt more open areas and take longer shots, plus I'll take an immediate follow up shot when presented the opportunity, so again, I want to shoot as far as possible without touching anything. Point being the difference from 20-25 is pretty slim. When I shot fixed pin classes I'd set a 17 yard pin, then 27. That 17 was the highest my arrow ever traveled and I used it more as a high stop than anything, rather than an aiming point.

I shot a fixed pin, typically 4 pin at 20 yard intervals out to 80, for 20 years. I switched to a spot Hogg Fast Eddie two years ago. I’m still debating which is better. Long range the slider is nice, but there are times it would be difficult/impossible to adjust in hunting situations. I don’t think there is a right answer:)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I ordered an Option 8, I do not plan on using 8 pins, but it gives more travel for the slider pin. It sounds like a good bit of the best of both slider and fixed, though it sounds like most people do not get the distance from an Option 8 they can from a slider where the whole pin housing moves.

Well 12 yards and 25 are the same on my cut chart, so I don't worry about closer than that.

We hunt the same state, I just want to maximize my yardage whenever I can, I do tend to hunt more open areas and take longer shots, plus I'll take an immediate follow up shot when presented the opportunity, so again, I want to shoot as far as possible without touching anything. Point being the difference from 20-25 is pretty slim. When I shot fixed pin classes I'd set a 17 yard pin, then 27. That 17 was the highest my arrow ever traveled and I used it more as a high stop than anything, rather than an aiming point.

I don't think there is necessarily a 1 size fits all.. I like the fact that I've gone to a 2 pin slide sight. I could probably dial the sight so its sitting on 25 probably 40, but I come back to why bother with it. the 2 pin setup covers me out to 40 yards which is where all my shots take place. If I'm looking at further shots, I feel confident that i'd have time to dial the pin appropriately.

Love the single pin. No clutter. Great view. I can see the value of a fixed pin setup. Although I don't know that I would go more than a 3 pin/slider setup just cuz 5 pins gets to be a lot in the scope housing.

Millerdyl

FNG
I haven't yet but I'm thinking about it for next year to save some weight. My fast eddie xl is heavy

Pramo

WKR
I keep debating this for elk and going to a five pin fixed. I use a fast eddie double pin and am good to 45 yards but bulls tend move around a lot so it's one less thing to think about.

I highly recommend trying the trick pin system with a single pin slider. Similar concept to ezv but also have ability to shoot precise at further distance. There is an article on Rokslide about it. Takes some practice but it has worked on several animals for me and I see no need to go back to fixed.

Bldtralr

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a 7 -pin fixed for many many years 20-80 yards had to battle the bottom pin and the bubble but made it work. Then I tried a 5 pin MBG slider with dual indicators top pin float out to 50 than bottom pin float out to 120 with the same advantage as a fixed 20-60 set pins. Never really got use to it and for hunting WAAAY too much going on in the heat of the battle went back to fixed. Then I saw my buddy's MBG Pro 5 pin version with it mounted kind of high, but still 40-yard pin was dead middle so I tried that and all i can say is wow won't be going back anytime soon. Locked down 20-60 fixed narrow throat pins and use the dial of death at 3-d's .15 out to 120+ with just the top pin as a floater no more pin gaping for me. If you don't change your set up often and get the right sight tape the pro version are the cat's meow.

4rcgoat

WKR
I shot a 7 -pin fixed for many many years 20-80 yards had to battle the bottom pin and the bubble but made it work. Then I tried a 5 pin MBG slider with dual indicators top pin float out to 50 than bottom pin float out to 120 with the same advantage as a fixed 20-60 set pins. Never really got use to it and for hunting WAAAY too much going on in the heat of the battle went back to fixed. Then I saw my buddy's MBG Pro 5 pin version with it mounted kind of high, but still 40-yard pin was dead middle so I tried that and all i can say is wow won't be going back anytime soon. Locked down 20-60 fixed narrow throat pins and use the dial of death at 3-d's .15 out to 120+ with just the top pin as a floater no more pin gaping for me. If you don't change your set up often and get the right sight tape the pro version are the cat's meow.
I'm in same boat,have always run a 3 or 5 pin fixed. Ran an accutouch slider with spot hogg double pin scope this year for elk,great setup but just too many moving parts. Going to mount the slider on the backup bow for 3d,and go to a 5 pin fixed with the smaller pro pin from MBG.

2rocky

WKR
I've never had a slider or dial on my sight. As many times as I have used the wrong pin, I'd be doubly PO'ed if I dialed a distance, the target critter moved, and I shot the wrong distance.

First to admit I’m always tinkering, researching and reading forums to find the next best things.
My current obsession has had me thinking about sight tapes, added weight, more moving parts, etc.
I’m Strictly bow hunting, but I practice 3-4 nights a week 20-75 yards is typical. I’ve been thinking out of all my hunts using an option 4S with 4 pin or MBG 3 pin mountain lite (10yard gaps on pin) I have yet to ever turn the dials for a kill. 80% saddle hunting with 20% spot and stalk.
My last obsession was going to a single pin slider with a form of 2nd pin or triple stack.
I found I was a bit more accurate with top pin, quicker target acquisition, but that’s where it stopped. I was horrible getting the accuracy I want out of the 2nd pin, yes vitals would have been hit but I didn’t find it as clear of picture as horizontal pins. That’s out.
As anyone gone from sliders to a fixed multi pin sight and had that ah ha moment or am I just trying to buy something again?
Researching options from top tier manufacturers it seems multi pin and single pin sliders are the focus.
If anyone has made switch what sight did they stumble on?
Currently eying SH Hunter but most reviews date back to 2011 and stop 2013. Am I going backwards?
Currently shooting PSE Levitate 60# with 460 grain arrows so pin gap is approx. 3/16. Figuring in that 270-280fps, no chrono.
I have never dialed in a hunting situation besides wanting to shoot with my top pin, which was completely unnecessary, but I had time

My only hang up with a fixed sight is the ability to practice at further distance on foam, and potential long follow up shots… I got by just fine for a long time with 4 and 5 pin fixed and may go back (getting ready to completely start over on my bow setup) I think the 5 pin grinder might be what I go with and accept 60yds as my longest pin… I don’t think there is any real world downside for the hunting I do

I used a single pin this year and liked it alright, but it’s not the most practical for me… the mbg mtn lite is a pretty awesome sight (shooting a fast eddie current) and my mtn lite is now my wife’s… this time I’m either getting another or a 5 pin grinder.

I honestly don’t think I can help you pick the best sight for you since we all hunt different and have different preferences… what I like, some don’t… the best sight for many may not work well for me.

I think a custom 5 pin makes most sense for my needs, all green pins, top 2 will be .019, bottom 3 will be .010

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I started with 3 fixed then went to a 5 then to a 7 but that’s just to many pins. Tried the single pin slider but after losing a couple of deer from letting down when they moved and where not at 15 yards instead was like 30 I said piss on that. Then went with the iq pro hunter 2 fixed and the 3rd pin moved but the housing stays put my favorite hunting site. Could not get past 80 with it and I like to shoot that for fun the last several years. So went with a cbe engage 3 pin like the site a lot but made a buzz on the shot so went with the fast eddy xl triple stack. My problem this year is I get dialed in at 20 and 60 all is good then the next day I’m high or low change everything then again the next day I’m high or low on both sliders. Last year I had zero problems with the slider. I must be changing my anchor or something when I slide it down cause at 60 my peep does not ring the housing maybe 3/4 of it. I’m pulling my hair out with this thing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from the SpotHog 2 pin slider to the EZV and Ill never go back. I get lethal (not super tight) groups out to 70yds. My range finder gathers dust in my bino harness and my big shot deer target is great for practice. This is not a sight for everyone but I love it, just works with my brain! No more sight tapes, range finding, sliding, forgetting to slide or getting my pins mixed up! Just "Frame it and Claim it!"

Hnthrdr

WKR
Started with fixed, picked up a 2 pin slider and it is deadly from 5-50 yards when you set the top pin at 30. Anything over 50 yards I should get a chance to dial it up, but I hunt timber mostly so most shots are 30 or less

bober90

FNG
I went from a slider back to a fixed pin, but more because of where I hunt the majority of the time. East of the Mississippi, I don't generally have to take a shot over 35-45 yards and it's nice not having to dial in the sight. The downside is I can't reach out beyond 65-70 yards confidently because of the pins (definitely not on an animal).

I may however look into getting a 3 pin slider where the pins are considered "fixed" when at the top of the tape and the bottom pin is the "slider" to adjust range out. I think that could strike a nice balance between fixed/slider benefits and not clog the sight window.