Has anyone gone from sliders back to fixed?

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
First to admit I’m always tinkering, researching and reading forums to find the next best things.
My current obsession has had me thinking about sight tapes, added weight, more moving parts, etc.
I’m Strictly bow hunting, but I practice 3-4 nights a week 20-75 yards is typical. I’ve been thinking out of all my hunts using an option 4S with 4 pin or MBG 3 pin mountain lite (10yard gaps on pin) I have yet to ever turn the dials for a kill. 80% saddle hunting with 20% spot and stalk.
My last obsession was going to a single pin slider with a form of 2nd pin or triple stack.
I found I was a bit more accurate with top pin, quicker target acquisition, but that’s where it stopped. I was horrible getting the accuracy I want out of the 2nd pin, yes vitals would have been hit but I didn’t find it as clear of picture as horizontal pins. That’s out.
As anyone gone from sliders to a fixed multi pin sight and had that ah ha moment or am I just trying to buy something again?
Researching options from top tier manufacturers it seems multi pin and single pin sliders are the focus.
If anyone has made switch what sight did they stumble on?
Currently eying SH Hunter but most reviews date back to 2011 and stop 2013. Am I going backwards?
Currently shooting PSE Levitate 60# with 460 grain arrows so pin gap is approx. 3/16. Figuring in that 270-280fps, no chrono.

rclouse79

WKR
I tried the ezv sight this off-season, which has similar aspects to fixed pins. I loved the open sight picture and my groups using the hash marks at known distances. My last six shots at unknown distances between 15 and 50 yards at the 3D range was enough for me to sell my single pin slider. 1731B28C-B809-44F8-A8BF-B5B418D26984.jpeg9024CFFE-3EDF-4DC9-8645-19B8EFBE017B.jpeg

kickemall

WKR
I went from a Spot Hog Hunter fixed seven pin to a Fast Eddie five pin slider and back to the seven pin fixed. After having to change tapes and screw with the slider every time I changed anything I changed back to fixed. Accuracy was about the same and the fixed pin was so much faster and simpler for me.

Last edited:
I went from 5 pin spot hogg to a 2 pin fast eddie thrn a 3 pin fast eddie before the triple stack and now I'm using a 7 pin spot hogg hunter and love the lack of moving parts

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I went from a 4 pin slider to a 5 pin slider. I've shot animals out to 70 yards with the 4 pin effectively by holding over (pronghorn). With the 5 pin I'm good out to 60 without touching anything which is a good self imposed distance limit. I routinely practice out to 100 so the slider is nice for that.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested to hear thoughts too. I have been shooting a fixed seven pin spot Hogg for +/- 13 years. I am intrigued by a multi pin fast Eddie but I have a serious aversion to moving parts on a bow. So much so that I still shoot a whisker biscuit. I bought a qad years ago but I can’t work up the nerve to put it on, ha.

JjamesIII

WKR
Five pin slider, never considered going back. Best of both worlds. Five fixed gets me to 60 yards, after that yardage becomes very critical and splitting pins isn’t going to be very accurate. I like to practice out to 100 yards, you really notice a two yard error at that distance. Having more than five pins crowds my sight picture. I like horizontal pins rather than vertical. I would never even consider a single pin slider for hunting, even though they are great for target shooting.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Went from fixed 5 pins, to 3 pin slider (hogg father), to 2 pin fast eddie, to triple stack, back to 2 pin fast eddie.

I like shooting 100+ yards way too much to ever have a fixed pin. I liked 3 horizontal pins (5 is too much clutter), didn't like 3 vertical pins in the triple stack. Really like 2 vertical pins.

Tater1973

WKR
MBG Ascent Verdict 3 pin slider for years but added 2 more pins this year so now it’s a 5 pin slider. Shot an HHA single pin for years but got burned numerous times when afield. Keep it simple stupid.

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
Unless I never planned on practicing past my furthest fixed pin distance, I wouldn't switch from a slider. Slider sights are so solid these days, moving parts is hardly a consideration for me. Shooting long distance with a slider sight is too fun and improves my shooting better than anything else.

If you don't like moving it when your hunting, get a slider that has the same amount of pins as you would on a fixed pin sight and don't move it while hunting. Still as simple as can be, but the best of both worlds. In my opinion the only "negative" of a slider is having a slightly heavier sight. I think they are better than fixed in basically every other way.

Stalker69

WKR
There's no way I would go back to a multi fixed pin. Single pin slider is the second best thing I've done, first is a thumb release. Just wish I would have done them long ago.

Dirtbag

WKR
I used to shoot a fixed five and switched to a single pin slider in 2014. I can't imagine ever going back.

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Nother vote for the sider.... shot the hogg it 7 pin for a long time.... picked up the fast eddie xl when it came out and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.... then when they came out with the double pin it was just another win..... there is no way in hell I could go back....

A.AYE.RON

FNG
I went from slider to fixed back to slider. Prefer the slider and the options it provides.

A.AYE.RON

FNG
Started with a Spot Hogg double pin Fast Eddie to a Black Gold 5 pin fixed then back to a Spot Hogg triple stack Fast Eddie.

KHNC

WKR
I have found what i think to be the best sight made in the Option 6 from Option Archery. I love a slider, but not for elk hunting. The O6 takes care of it all.

Two five pin Black Gold Ascent/Whitetail sliders, using the exact same 1-3/4" sight ring and pin configuration as my old BG Rush fixed pin sight I have on one of my back-up bows...the other has the slider.

I've slid the slider all the way down to 61 yards from 60 on one kill. Otherwise I shot a bunch of critters using the slider's 5-pins just as if I was using my Rush fixed pin.

If it wasn't for liking to practice at longer than 60 yd ranges, and the remote possibility of dialing in an unusual situation I'd ditch the slider.

Good post by the original poster.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have a couple Spot Hogg SDP sights and got a Fast Eddie MRT 3 pin sight this spring.
I like the slider, but found I sight in a 20, 30 and 40. Most of my practice is out to 60, so I don’t move it much. I’m ready not sure if I like the sight that much or the .010 pins that it came with.
Had a small issue with the sight vibrating down while shooting. Easy fix, but will always be in the back of my mind.

Holocene

WKR
I've debated this question a little over the years and keep drifting back to a 5- or 3-pin slider for two main reasons:
  1. Ability to train at longer distances to focus on form and arrow performance
  2. Ability to dial in yardage at 3D and local broadhead league where I'm proofing my EQUIPMENT and SIGHT TAPE and want to rule out range estimation as a factor.
The Spot Hogg Fast Eddie is bombproof, light enough, and offers a few advantages that many 5-pin fixed sights don't have. Axcel makes some nixed fixed 5-pins as well.

For a pure elk hunting bow, I'm thinking of refurbishing my Halon 32 with a lightweight 5-pin fixed. Will probably go with the Axcel as it has true 1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis adjustment features.