Has anyone hunted Snow Sheep?

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering booking a hunt for Kamchatka Snow Sheep in 2023 and I’m doing some research. I’ve heard of some people taking a waterproof bag and packing material to bring back salted capes and skulls in their luggage. Does anyone know if this is possible from Russia or is a shipper your only choice?

Would also love to hear of your experiences from anyone who’s done a hunt for snow sheep in Kamchatka.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Thinking it would have to be sent to an approved Taxidermist. I dont know for sure, just a guess.

Usually with importation the US makes the rules. I am not sure, but some species have to be dipped to import in "green" state (non tanned hide). This rule may also be for certain countries, as Canada and mexico are not an issue.

Pretty sure that any finished taxidermy (tanned, boiled) can be brought in as long as you declare it and gave proper forms, and its not a CITES protected animal. Things like warthog, crocs etc also have other restrictions.

The best option by far would be to call the USFW office at the airport you plan to fly into with the stuff and get it all squared away since they will be the ones checking you on the way back. If they let it through you are Good To Go!

Let us know what you find out (y)

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Usually with importation the US makes the rules. I am not sure, but some species have to be dipped to import in "green" state (non tanned hide). This rule may also be for certain countries, as Canada and mexico are not an issue.

Pretty sure that any finished taxidermy (tanned, boiled) can be brought in as long as you declare it and gave proper forms, and its not a CITES protected animal. Things like warthog, crocs etc also have other restrictions.

The best option by far would be to call the USFW office at the airport you plan to fly into with the stuff and get it all squared away since they will be the ones checking you on the way back. If they let it through you are Good To Go!

Let us know what you find out (y)
Good idea to call the USFW at the customs airport.

idig4au

WKR
Yes I hunted snow sheep in 2019. Yes it’s possible to bring back with you but it will take a few extra days in Moscow for paperwork to be completed and you’ll need to make sure capes are dry.

I shipped my cape and horns as I was flying Aeroflot through LAX and didn’t want to take chances there with USDA and USFWS. I typically ship all my trophies back to ensure my capes are 100% dry and let my customs brokerage deal with the paperwork. Cost of hunts are too expensive to run the risk of getting your trophies seized at port of entry by some government bureaucratic entity!

I hunted the Milkovo Region of Kamchatka in 2019. Incredible adventure from start to finish. An extensively experienced sheep hunting buddy brought his sheep back from Russia on several hunts and explained the process to me. However, like the previous poster I did not want the extra time and hassle of getting the hide and horns completely prepped and dealing with Aeroflot, never mind USFWS. The Visa process and weapon clearance are challenge enough. I had also taken an exceptional ram and didn’t want any chances of anything going sideways. The savings just isn’t worth the risk.

Another consideration is COVID has impacted everything. So, I would assume the processes and requirements for exporting and importing sport hunted trophies have changed as well. Best to check with both the outfitter and USFWS.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure to post this hunt report on here for us. I had an opportunity back in 2018 for a cancellation hunt through some very reputable friends at Sheep Show for $14K. I didn't have the best business year and passed on it. I still regret it.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure to post this hunt report on here for us. I had an opportunity back in 2018 for a cancellation hunt through some very reputable friends at Sheep Show for $14K. I didn't have the best business year and passed on it. I still regret it.
Unfortunately the risk of travel being prior military and what goes along with that has my friend and I deciding the risk isn’t worth it. I just booked a Dall hunt in AK.

Unfortunately the risk of travel being prior military and what goes along with that has my friend and I deciding the risk isn’t worth it. I just booked a Dall hunt in AK.
Pity! Kamchatka is a fantastic adventure literally on the other side of the world. Personally don’t see any additional danger in being prior military and traveling to the Russian Federation - same as any other US citizen.