Has anyone made a scope / barrel cover?

Years ago I made a rifle cover, but I used tiny zippers that were a pain to open, but the rifle stayed real clean on my pack.

Now I'd like to make a cover similar to the Stealthyhunter style but with some of my own tweaks. I'm planning to use Sunbrella as the main material. Im planning to sandwich some type of padding between layers of material. What would you use as padding? I'll post pics when I get it done. Thanks for any input.

Todd

Geewhiz

WKR
Don’t know much about materials but this sounds like a cool idea. I’ve seen the stealthy hunter one but it just seams kinda bulky to me

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider

I have this one and I really like it. Neoprene material, soft on the inside. Doesn’t impeded the bolt action and doesn’t get in the way at all.

Geewhiz

WKR

I have this one and I really like it. Neoprene material, soft on the inside. Doesn’t impeded the bolt action and doesn’t get in the way at all.

I have a similar neoprene one too but in my mind I'd like something that wraps around to cover the action and trigger as well.

OP
T
Thanks for the ideas. I'm also trying to keep needles, leaves, dirt out of the barrel, action and protect the scope while the rifle is strapped on the side of my pack.

madcalfe

WKR
electrical tape the end of the barrel
vet wrap your scope
I've also made a little sleeve that slides onto my proof barrel so it doesn't get scratched up on rocks and trees when sheep hunting.
quite a bit lighter than a Stealthy hunter setup

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I've done the tape on the barrel but I run a muzzle break and the tape doesnt work so well.

Thank you,
Todd
Haha, My buddy tapped his barrel/muzzle brake and shot a moose last year, the tape comes off! We joked that he probably had to use a half of a roll but it does work.

I modified a gun sock by cutting off the back half (roughly) and added some elastic to fit around the scope. Wasn't pretty but it worked. For backpack hunts I made a rifle cover out silpoly membrane with a drawstring that weighs about .75oz and then warp the foam I use for my glossing pad around the scope and action and cinch it to my pack.

madcalfe

WKR
I've done the tape on the barrel but I run a muzzle break and the tape doesnt work so well.

Thank you,
Todd
I as well run a muzzle break. just have to tape the end in a cross then fold over down the barrel, then 1 wrap around the barrel to secure it if that makes sense lol.