Has anyone missed a shot opportunity because of a slider sight?

nastynick

FNG
I run a 3-pin slider, 20, 35, 50, I can dial to 120 for practice but treat it like a fixed pin during hunting season.

I haven't missed a shot opportunity but was practicing recently and switched from 80 yds to 40 yds and had to let-down because I realized I needed to dial it back to zero. (would have certainly lost an arrow on that one).

87TT

WKR
I was dialed to 100 and shot at 20. Still haven't found that arrow and it's in the back yard. Hahahaha

Gumbo

WKR
Depends on how and what you hunt. I haven't needed to shoot an Elk past 35 yards in almost 50 years of hunting. Spot n stalk Deer or Antelope, several pins might be beneficial.
Very true. I am an open country hunter and my shots usually start at 35 yards. I can see whitetail and timber elk hunters seeing an advantage to fewer pins.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 3 pin slider. To me it’s best of both world. I get a clean sight picture. I have it set for 30-40-50. Anything outside of that I normally have time to range. Anything inside 50 I can pin gap shoot or if I can get away with it I can dial right up to my exact yardage. A lot of guys say it’s more crap to mess up but in my opinion looking at 5 or 7 pins can be a shit show too picking the wrong pin on accident which I’ve done. Whatever is most comfortable for you I guess. For me it’s 3 pins. Anything inside of 30 dies with my 30 yard pin. I like to have a clean sight picture. Practicing is paramount to mirror how you will shoot in the woods. Don’t dial in every shot (unless your running a single) learn to pin gap or learn to hold over or under for a single.

406unltd

WKR
It could definitely happen in the right scenario. With that said someone like myself that hunts thick timber with a 50yd shot being long, I believe that my double pin fast eddie is great. I set my bottom pin to 40 and that gives me easy top pin lethality from 20-30. I stole a couple dabs of white nail polish from my wife and made a 35 and 50 yard dot on my post for any other situation. With my sight set this way I am good out to 50 without touching my sight. I feel like since I practice a lot this way I am confident that I will be able to make the shot this way. The nail polish dots are not as good as a fiber pin and I am aware of that but it is an effective way to give my preferred single pin sight more versatility. So in my opinion I actually do get to have my cake and eat it too.