Has anyone missed a shot opportunity because of a slider sight?

KHNC

WKR
I love single pin sights. But no longer for elk! Now i use the Option 6 from Option archery. It addresses ALL issues with multi-pins or sliders. Best sight on the market in my opinion.

I bought the option archery sight this last year and loved it.
It lets you keep your fixed pins as well as have a single pin sight if you wont.
I used the fixed pins for my whitetail hunting and the single for antelope and elk.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
When I first used a single pin, it cost me one animal. That was to user error however. I set my sight to 50, thought it was 60 (which had been the norm every other time), didn't check and shot under a buck at 70. I then went to the double pin and enjoyed it. Covers pretty much every range you need and with practice, I would shot 0-60 without moving the sight.
Currently running a 5 pin slider now and like it a bit better than the double pin.

Austink47

WKR
Yes once. Bright side is when you have your pin set at 60 and a you shoot at 30 it goes way over the bulls back.

kicker338

WKR
Missed a chance at a bull not because of a slider or a fixed pin sight. A slider would have been useless as the elk was long gone before I could have used a slider and as it turned out my fixed pin didn't help either, my hand deld range finder was the culprit. After trying to range it, the elk took off before I could draw. The range turned out to be about 40yds. The next yr. I switched to the EZV sight and hunted that area again, same spot where the bull was, had I had the EZV that elk would be dead.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I am using the Option 8S but only 3 pins 30/40/50. The 50 pin is my slider. I just recently removed my 20 pin. I like this sight because my housing does not move so my fixed pins are always 30/40 and never move in case I forget to reset it after and encounter. This really isn't an issue for me since 40 is my limit unless things are absolutely perfect and the elk is not aware of my presence (probably more of issue for those who will shoot longer distances). The only reason I would dial in anything is if I got a long range follow up shot. The front can be flipped to make it a single pin view if I was to dial a longer shot in. I like to practice out longer also so the slider pin is nice for that.

I could see where a 2 pin slider setup could work for my purposes and I would dial anything over 40 otherwise they would just stay set at 30/40.

I haven’t, but I would have missed an opportunity on 2 bucks traveling together last year if I were using a slider. As it was, I only got a shot off on the second one. They were traveling about 50 yards behind each other.

I might have missed one the year before as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I have always stayed away from single pin adjustable sights because I can see the possibility of it costing me an opportunity as I mostly hunt on the ground. I have a spott hogg 7 pin and enjoy the ability to stay at full draw as an animal moves about. I have it sighted for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 90.

Gumbo

WKR
6-pin slider for me...I can't imagine trying to hunt in the west with 3-4 pins, let alone one. Essentially I treat it as a 6-pin fixed for hunting, and practice at longer ranges. Works great because 70+ a couple holdover yards is my max hunting shot.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Had a 7 pin fixed for the last decade. This year, moved to a 3 pin slider (30, 40, 50). We will see how it goes, but as other have said, I think the multiple pin sliders are the best of both worlds. A single pin can definitely be good for deer. My dad had one that he shot many deer with starting in the 90s.

For elk, I think you have to have multiple pins. As others have said, longer then 50 yards, I should have some time and I shouldn't be shooting past that if I don't. The other thing for me, you "should" be more accurate when your pin is closer to the middle of your peep/sight window. It is important to be the most accurate on longer shots...so for me, it made sense. Also, with generally 500 to 550 grain arrows for elk hunting...a range finder and dialing in rather then gap shooting should be beneficial in the 50 - 70 range.

I could see having a fourth pin to get to 60, or if you want a 20 pin, etc.

wapitibob

WKR
6-pin slider for me...I can't imagine trying to hunt in the west with 3-4 pins, let alone one.

Depends on how and what you hunt. I haven't needed to shoot an Elk past 35 yards in almost 50 years of hunting. Spot n stalk Deer or Antelope, several pins might be beneficial.

5-pin slider works for me. Practice to a hundred and hunt with the fixed pins 20-60.

If I were to use a slider, it would probably be 3-pin. 20,30,40 should be fine for 98% of my whitetail situations. The adjustment should cover the other 2% of whitetail and 95% of everything Western within my ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzby

WKR
If someone misses a shot it’s not because of the sight. User error. It happens with fixed multi pin sights too.

I had the opposite experience with the 5-pin sight. Thought I was using the 30yd pin but shot over bucks back. Too much clutter for me so I have been using a single pin ever since. Like others have said I practice shooting 0-40yds without moving the slider if it is farther than that I should have time to adjust.

Trial153

WKR
Nope. In fact I would say I made a few shots that I wouldn't have attempted if couldnt dial it exactly.