Has anyone ran both Kifaru and Stone Glacier Systems?

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for anyone that has ran the Kifaru pack system and the Stone Glacier pack system. Wanted to know what were some differences you noticed and any comparisons.

I have both, but both are from several years back. SG at the time I purchased was a minimalist type of pack, while Kifaru (The DT1) was much more organizational oriented. Both have their place. I have not kept up with eithers offerings as what I have serves me well. Both fit and function well for what they are designed for. Both haul heavy loads well and as comfortable as they can, considering the weight. What I mean is that it is comfortable to carry a heavy load with either system, except for the weight itself; altitude is not a friend when hauling heavy loads (I am referring to 100+ pounds.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have both. The SG is noticeably lighter and more maneuverable. It moves with you, yet is still torsionally rigid to carry loads. Very comfortable for me, but it took some trial and error to get the belt fit right as I am in between sizes.

The Kifaru is a beast. I have the Duplex Frame. It’s big, sturdy and rigid. It does not move. If I have to carry a 80-100lb load, or something big and awkward, it’s my choice.

So what I usually do is carry the SG on day hunts where loads are smaller but yet it can also get a whole deer out. I also prefer it if I’m going to be busting brush and going up and down and around obstacles. It’s just a more comfortable and nimble pack when loads are like #60 and under.

Then on multi day hunts I usually take the Kifaru. Especially in open country. Or when I know I’m going to have to carry a serious load.

This is just my take. My SG gets used more and is probably more practical in most cases, But I’m also glad to have the Kifaru when I need it.

Last edited:

ST52v

WKR
My brother has, maybe he will chime in when he’s done hunting this weekend.

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. The SG is noticeably lighter and more maneuverable. It moves with you, yet is still torsionally rigid to carry loads. Very comfortable for me, but it took some trial and error to get the belt fit right as I am in between sizes.

The Kifaru is a beast. I have the Duplex Frame. It’s big, sturdy and rigid. It does not move. If I have to carry a 80-100lb load, or something big and awkward, it’s my choice.

So what I usually do is carry the SG on day hunts where loads are smaller but yet it can also get a whole deer out. I also prefer it if I’m going to be busting brush and going up and down and around obstacles. It’s just a more comfortable and nimble pack when loads are like #60 and under.

Then on multi day hunts I usually take the Kifaru. Especially in open country. Or when I know I’m going to have to carry a serious load.

This is just my take. My SG gets used more and is probably more practical in most cases, But I’m also glad to have the Kifaru when I need it.
Thank you thats exactly what I'm thinking. I have the Kifaru 44mag and love it but its definitely heavy. I've heard good things about SG what specific pack and frame do you have?

SG more streamlined, feels more minimalist. I like how the load sling keeps the load higher on your back when compared to the kifaru load shelf. SG xcurve frame fit me better. Kifaru more customizable with pockets/pouches and I liked the kifaru belt better than SG. bags were slightly heavier though on kifaru and didn't feel as streamlined when compared to the stone glacier. you can narrow it down with internet insight but ultimately unless you load up both with weight on YOUR back you won;t know what is best for you.

brsnow

WKR
SG also has the evo frame, very light and not curved. I run one of these and a seek outside revolution. If you are looking at SG, try both frames.

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
SG more streamlined, feels more minimalist. I like how the load sling keeps the load higher on your back when compared to the kifaru load shelf. SG xcurve frame fit me better. Kifaru more customizable with pockets/pouches and I liked the kifaru belt better than SG. bags were slightly heavier though on kifaru and didn't feel as streamlined when compared to the stone glacier. you can narrow it down with internet insight but ultimately unless you load up both with weight on YOUR back you won;t know what is best for you.
I gotcha yeah I've been running the Kifaru duplex lite with the 44mag. Love it but looking to try something new ill prolly just order one and try them both.

SDHNTR

WKR
Thank you thats exactly what I'm thinking. I have the Kifaru 44mag and love it but its definitely heavy. I've heard good things about SG what specific pack and frame do you have?
Not sure what the frame is now called but it’s one of their original versions and is several years old. It’s served me well. I have an Approach and a Solo bag, depending on the need.

I’ve never ran a backpack. I like to run outside. I love wearing my 44mag on my back.

Thank you!
This whole run,ran and running thing is just stupid.
Stop trying to emulate everyone, and be yourself.
You don’t run a pack. You wear or use one.
Stop being a sheep.

SG is lighter and more streamlined.
Kifaru is beefy, and heavier.
You’ll never break a SG pack under even extreme conditions.
My Kifaru slid down, no matter what I did.
SG Evo Krux is awesome.

wyodan

WKR
I have both. I even just packed up both today to see which one felt better. SG feels better for my next hunt. With the same gear, the SG 5900 was 3-4 pounds lighter than the Kifaru, hunter frame and Reckoning. I like the SG rifle carrier better, thinking about trying to make it work on the Kifaru. It's a wash for which frame fits better, sometimes just seems like the day. Kifaru has a better belt. SG belt doesn't seem to have a good place for my bear spray, and chafes me a bit unless I have a base layer on. SG load carrying system seems to work easier and better than Kifaru. Kifaru bags always leave something for me to desire. Kifaru frame feels a little burlier, not that I could overload either frame anymore. That's about all I got.

I’ve had a couple Kifaru packs, a DT1 and a KU, but ended up selling both when I got my first SG about 6 years ago. I had some pretty major issues with the DT1 belt rubbing raw spots on my hips and lumbar area when carrying heavy loads (100 lbs and above), and the KU just didn’t carry heavier (60+ lbs), loads well at all. I’ve had a SG Xcurve, and currently have two SG frames, an EVO and a Krux. The Krux style frame seems to work the best for my back shape. The Xcurve works, but just not as well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I just swapped out the x-curve stays for evo stays in my x-curve frame, 6' tall but short torso so the x-curve did not work well for me (top of stays too close to the back of my head). If you get Kifaru aluminum stays you can custom shape them, the SG stays are carbon fiber (I believe) and the shape cannot be changed. I have those aluminum stays in my duplex frame but I have not played with it much. The SG is definitely more minimalist and lighter, the straps on the Kifaru pull thru the buckles much easier and the belt is also much easier to adjust than the SG but I still use my SG and just deal with those minor issues......but the difference is very noticeable to me. I may wax some of the SG straps but not the belt strap.

Csr service with SG is absolutely top notch, they have treated me very well. Both are great pack frames although different. Big difference in compartmentalization in the bags with Kifaru having much more options. My amr bag is very light and weighs relatively the same as my SG bag but has more capacity.

Last edited:

Tradchef

WKR
I used the SG R3 3300 two years ago with the x curve. Sweet system but im pretty short and I couldn’t get used to my head hitting the frame in day mode. The Krux Evo fixed that problem for shorter people. other than that it rode well, felt great, hauled meat and heavy weight well.
I have the kifaru lite frame in a 24” model. I have used the woodsman, reckoning and cargo panel and guide lid so far. I think the SG is more comfortable in day mode but loaded down I like my kifaru better. Plus I’m a meat in the bag guy too and the center zip on the reckoning is awesome for that as is the cargo panel. The sky talus looks like that would be like the reckoning on the SG side.
Point being.......none are perfect. You need to just weigh out the things you need vs things you want vs things you don’t need and go from there. Then it’s all about what fits you right. Both are amazing companies and have customer service that is top notch.

Last edited:

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Both are great for carrying loads with a slight edge to SG in my opinion (full disclosure I run Kifaru now)- little things that are important to me..... The Kifaru hip belt gives you more options, especially if a side arm is part of your kit and/or you carry a Nalgene. The SG hydro holster is a terrible piece of kit in my opinion.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
I have both as well. I have the Sky Talus 6900 with an xcurve frame and kifaru tactical duplex and the duplex light, with a fulcrum, crater and muskeg 7000. As said above both are comfortable and will haul loads well. A lot is personal fit. Stone Glacier is more minimalist, I do like the ability to add pockets etc to the Kifaru. I now run the Kifaru’s and my gf runs the Stone Glacier. One thing I noticed about the Stone Glacier is that the pack seemed to go taller to gain the cubic inches. I had trouble on multi day hunts getting everything in. To me the bigger kifaru packs seem to have a little more circumference which helps for some of the bulkier items. Probably the Stone 7900 would be a little more comparable but I definitely like the way the Kifaru’s pack better. I was forever fighting to get the zipper closed on the Stone. Overall both are great packs. It’s all about preference I think.