Has anyone studied Kyudo?

I was doing some internet searching for a YouTube project I'm working on about the history of women and hunting, more specifically bowhunting.

This image of Hangaku Gozen appeared. She was a Samari warrior skilled in archery from the late 12th and early 13th century. That got me more interested in Kyudo which is considered a Japanese martial art centered around archery.

From what I've gathered, it emphasizes a specific shot process with a long bow, but I'm sure it can be adapted to many other styles of bows. A handful of books have been written on it. I haven't read them yet, but I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar, or had any experience with it?
HangakubyYoshitoshiTaiso1885-56a040fa3df78cafdaa0b1a4.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't have any experience with it but I've seen a demonstration of it once. It goes against everything I believe in as far as actual archery is concerned but it was interesting.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
FullSkipChain

Not the highest quality production here, but it's a vibe. Especially if you want to make your own bow or want to nerd out on bow physics. I dig the spiritual piece of being in alignment. I think animals can pick up on the slightest energy of a hunter. Especially desperation. :ROFLMAO:

ZDR

WKR
You might try reading the book by Eugen Herrigel: Zen in the art of archery.

My experience is pretty much the same as @bsnedeker ... little application in our form of archery other than the mental discipline laid out in the book. I did find that helpful.

Button

WKR

Not the highest quality production here, but it's a vibe. Especially if you want to make your own bow or want to nerd out on bow physics. I dig the spiritual piece of being in alignment. I think animals can pick up on the slightest energy of a hunter. Especially desperation. :ROFLMAO:
Some fish can definitely pick up on energy/vibes/intentions when you are trying to spear them, especially if your not relaxed. Some don’t like direct eye contact. Others are curious and swim right up to you like Cobia/Ling and Barracuda.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a different archery style. Now gripping the bow in the center, arrow on opposite side of the bow, drawing way behind the head and what looks like no anchor point. Also looks like they grip the bow instead of shooting with an open hand.