Has anyone switched back to floored tents after going floorless?

Has anyone switched back to primarily floored tents after going floorless? Has anyone gone back to "cold tents" after trying a hot tent setup? I

I haven’t. Been using floorless shelters in CO during archery elk for 6-7yrs now and can’t imagine going back to a floored tent.

However…..I’m still using a floored tent here in OK for my camping needs because of the bugs and creepy crawlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have gone away from floorless hot tent. I’m not real sure what I’m moving too either a floored teepee or wall tent. Probably the floored teepee with a stove. With cots

Ram94

WKR
I had a Kifaru Tut with stove and sold it for a Hilleberg Nallo 3GT

I almost never fired the stove up anyways and the condensation in a tipi is downright miserable. Much happier in the dual wall Hille. Different strokes for different folks.

I don’t think I will ever go floor less. Too many nasties here in NM. Only floor less I would consider would be a wall tent with stove. I would still put a floor of some kind in, except around the stove.

Having been stung on the face by a brown scorpion, I can definitely understand anyone wanting to exclude bugs, critters, reptiles and so on. There are just certain situations where keeping stuff out is more important (to some) than the advantages of a floorless shelter.

I recall wondering....many years ago....if I would find a dirt-floor tipi to be a hassle. No, but it did require a short adjustment period. Today I would find a conventional tent with floor to be a bigger hassle for me. This is assuming a fixed base camp type hunt and/or the ability to set stakes. A sheep or goat camp in the high rocks would likely see me using a Hilleberg or other tent.

Ten Bears

WKR
I went from a Cimarron back to my Hilleberg. The stove was just too much hassle at 430am to break down if I was gonna keep moving. Floorless definitely has its perks, and if I hunted in really cold temps more often where I was stationary I would use it strictly for that. Otherwise floored for me, I bumped up in size and weight to the Anjan 3 just to add some comfort. Well worth it.

Jimss

WKR
I go back and forth depending upon the conditions. I often use just the fly off my Hilleberg Nallo and use painters plastic for the floor to keep dirt off my gear and things dry if wet or muddy. In super wet conditions I'll add the tent plus fly. If super wet and a base camp (Alaska) or snow I often use tent, fly, plus footprint.

Jbehredt

WKR
If I could only have one tent it would have a floor. Prefer it for buggy or especially wet conditions. Otherwise I go floorless.

Stalker69

WKR
I switched from a floorless to a floored tent years ago. After the first time hunting texas, and having a snake, scorpion, ticks and fleas. Never again will I go floorless. The floor is a day and night difference, for a peaceful sleep. Plus it’s so much cleaner inside. There really is no comparison, if you ask me.

Last edited:
My hunting buddy for this year's moose hunt used a Sawtooth. He admitted he didn't do a great job of site leveling and consequently the bottom edge of his shelter was off the ground in places. One morning while glassing for antlers he casually said "I think I have a serious problem".

Me: "What's going on?"
Him: "Something is gnawing on my nuts."
Me: "You'd better figure it out quick before it gets any worse."
Him: "I know. I grabbed my bag and that's when I noticed it. There was a little hole in the bag and fragments of nuts around it. I think it likes the cashews the best."

I guess there's always some type of varmint out there ready to cause trouble!

AdamLewis

FNG
I much prefer floorless, though when I am in South TX, NM, or AZ I usually bring a nest. I find that to be the best of both worlds.

My wife is not on board with floorless anywhere so having a nest is required when she comes along. We have a floored tent but it gets left at home in favor of the above.

Stove-wise I don't find myself using mine very often. More trouble than it is worth for me since it just doesn't stay hot long without being constantly fed. If I truck camped I might want to use one with a bigger burn chamber and more mass, but I don't do that often enough to try one.

Vandy321

WKR
I have...a floorless supertarp or sawtooth (owned both, with a stove) is a liability in the late season with snow loading.

I'll take my hille soulo anytime. Pull the inner from it for Sept and it's a "floorless" single wall, only 100% stronger than a trekking pole type setup

fbhandler

WKR
I have...a floorless supertarp or sawtooth (owned both, with a stove) is a liability in the late season with snow loading.

I'll take my hille soulo anytime. Pull the inner from it for Sept and it's a "floorless" single wall, only 100% stronger than a trekking pole type setup

What does the soulo weigh set up like this (without the inner) ?

I have switched back to a floored shelter. It cost money to buy a light floored shelter but not carrying bivy, tyvek the weight is close. After 4 years I just dont like the bivy restriction.

There was a really good thread a year or two ago and a gentleman was quite decisively opinionated on going floored, and he made some really good points, might be worth a search.

For most situations I'll go floorless. But as some members have mentioned, if I were in the south or southwest where creepy crawlies are a more probable risk I'd go traditional 2 person backpacking tent type deal.

Vandy321

WKR
What does the soulo weigh set up like this (without the inner) ?
Not a clue, but I'd imagine the weight of the inner is listed on the website. It's ~ 5# all in for arguably the most bomb proof 4 season Shelter made. If I recall, it was pretty close to the supertarp weight for a Sept trip when you add in supertarp, stakes, trekking poles, annex and types.

sveltri

WKR
I did, but for no other reason than to switch things up. I went from a Silvertip to a Tarp Tent Scarp 1. So far, so good.