Has anyone tried the New Salomon Quests

grfox92

WKR
I went to Scheels in Billings this weekend and noticed that they changed the Salomon Quest.

The boot looks very much redesigned. Note the plastic strap that the laces run through half way up the boots.

As soon as I saw it I immediately thought "thats going to break." Looks cheap and low budget. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I need boots for this upcoming fall and was thinking about the Quests, but now I'm re thinking that option.

Has anyone tried this new version yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
f273cf20c81ff07ebd0845b431861dbe.jpg

I have not, but I have several pair of the Quest 4D 3gtx. They are extremely comfortable, but not waterproof. I wear them daily to work (S.O.) I'm not sure the plastic strap would be a weak point. On the Salomon boot (Salomon Quest Prime) that uses the fabric loop for eyelets would be more of a concern to me. I think the fabric would tend to wear through due to friction, and if the loop breaks, you wouldn't be able to lace them up. The plastic strap you speak of should be more durable than the fabric, not sure how much flexing the strap will encounter, so it might be there to add stability to the shoe/boot.
The 4D I have all have metal (or maybe plastic) eyelets, and they haven't failed over they years. When the ones I have wear out, I would try the new ones, since they are available in black for uniform wear.

Last edited:
OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I have not, but I have several pair of the Quest 4D 3gtx. They are extremely comfortable, but not waterproof. I wear them daily to work (S.O.) I'm not sure the plastic strap would be a weak point. On the Salomon boot (Salomon Quest Prime) that uses the fabric loop for eyelets would be more of a concern to me. I think the fabric would tend to wear through due to friction, and if the loop breaks, you wouldn't be able to lace them up. The plastic strap you speak of should be more durable than the fabric, not sure how much flexing the strap will encounter, so it might be there to add stability to the shoe/boot.
The 4D I have all have metal (or maybe plastic) eyelets, and they haven't failed over they years. When the ones I have wear out, I would try the new ones, since they are available in black for uniform wear.
Yes. I have the 4D 3gtx. I haven't bought another pair because of the waterproof issue. I'm doubtful, but maybe they've fixed that.

As far as comfort and stability, I am quite satisfied with the 4D 3GTX. If it looks like rainy weather, I just wear my Crispi Wyoming II GTX to work. They ARE waterproof.

kirmerw

FNG
I had the previous model and got the new model.
They don’t fit the same. Returned for some Crispis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Can't give input on long term durability obviously but in my experience, that band looks well reinforced. Don't anticipate it failing, not making any other claims about the durability or longevity, but I don't foresee that being a major failure point

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a synthetic leather strap with a plastic insert to prevent the laces from abrading through.
1aca7526d7422b8808f5880bcd51d84f.jpg
973d9521324f5f96440c3f602b6e1c93.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I got a hairline crack in the chassis on my previous pair (old model) and Solomon sent me a pair of the new version as the warranty replacement. So now I have two pairs as I epoxied the broken piece. For my feet they feel just about the same. Maybe slightly narrower through the arch but same wide toe box. They are significantly lighter weight. So far I really like them. They also seem to have a slightly stiffer upper around the ankle, but I haven’t side hilled them yet.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I got a hairline crack in the chassis on my previous pair (old model) and Solomon sent me a pair of the new version as the warranty replacement. So now I have two pairs as I epoxied the broken piece. For my feet they feel just about the same. Maybe slightly narrower through the arch but same wide toe box. They are significantly lighter weight. So far I really like them. They also seem to have a slightly stiffer upper around the ankle, but I haven’t side hilled them yet.

Good to hear, the last version is the best fitting boot I ever owned. I'm curious to see if these are anymore waterproof.

prm

WKR
The little eyelets adjacent to that new loop are the weak point IMO. I had one pull out of an older model.
268F76C7-BE1A-4F0B-AD43-28EC8C32F3B1.jpeg

The Quest Forces model does not use those eyelets. I have not owned that model but my guess is they would be a little more durable. I've had three pairs of the older models and I really like them. But I won't suggest they are the most durable. I got many years of mule deer, elk, and whitetail hunts out of one pair before they just wore out and lost their waterproofing. Second pair had an eyelet pull out, third are still doing fine. I also have a couple pairs of Crispis and more recently a pair of Hanwags. I still think the Salomons are the most comfortable when putting miles on the trail and stable. They have a wider sole that helps with stability. I also hate that they are made in China.

prm

WKR
More on the stability. While I always thought the Salomons felt stable, only recently did I realize just how they compare. I’ve been trying other boots, just because I like to try new things. So, I’ve been wearing Crispi Colorados, Guide GTX, Hanwag Makra Trek and a little time with some Salewa Repaces. I had not worn the Salomons in a few months, mostly wearing the Hanwags, but managed to put them on to go work in the barn. I immediately noticed how stable my feet feel. It seems many hiking boots use relatively taller and narrower soles than the Salomons. When you step on uneven ground they want to roll more than the Salomons. I’d be interested in knowing if the new Salomons are the same. They do have a different sole. Did a little measuring:
Salomon 8.5
CC9F10F6-2F9F-4AC5-A7D2-EEA048FC90A0.jpeg
Crispi CO 8.5
B3E36D73-A738-4B88-BDE2-186106DEA72C.jpeg
Hanwag Makra Trek 9
F58D762C-0002-4FA4-A2A1-48BD4DE644CF.jpeg
Salewa Repace 8.5
8DB6BA20-6335-4C74-B727-F559054AFF13.jpeg

Last edited:

golfbum

WKR
Anyone else tried the newer version of the quest? Have owned and loved the older style. Need some new ones however

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone chime in on the ankle support of the mid version, or is everyone finding the regular height is adequate?

I have 2 pair of the older version.
Both leak but are comfortable.
When I replace them it will be crispi.
If wet I break out my lowa tibets.

idcuda

WKR
The first pair I got several years ago: took them out of the box, tried them on, then climbed up into hell's canyon rim country from the snake river and side-hilled all morning for chukar. No issues.

Got the new version last month: took them out of the box and climbed Mt. Breitenbach (nasty, rocky climb with 5,800+ feet of elevation gain/loss). No issues.

It was stupid to do that, both times, but these boots are great. I actually thought the new version felt a bit too big in the toe box, so I carried a bunch of leuko tape. Never ended up needing it and the quests fit like a glove.

They're not the most waterproof, but they handle my activity well - small stream crossings, occasional rain, etc. If they fail early, contact goretex and try to warranty them.