has anyone tried using .01 aluminum roll flashing for tent wood stove chimney pipe?

I'm looking at all options for lightweight chimney pipe. I'm wondering if aluminum would work. The stated melting point is 1220 degrees F.

Superdoo

WKR
1620404825960.png

I know you want it for a stove jack, but it will most certainly warp.

By all means spend the $11. Just make sure the video is rolling when you get the stove ripping. If it survives, I'd definitely like to see you roll it back up!

WoodBow

WKR
It will melt. You can get a stainless stove pipe red hot above the stove.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My Ti stove pipe can turn cherry red (about 1300 F) for over a foot above the stove. Al might work, but I would burn it in outside and get the stove as hot as possible first. For $11 it could be a fun experiment. Personally, I would just spend the money on a Ti pipe, even though it is heavier than Al.

spudgunr

FNG
As stated, this WILL melt if you use it for the entire chimney pipe on most stoves. Without a baffle I could easily make my chimney pipe glow (1300ish or more degrees); though with a baffle it hasnt glowed any longer.

I would use at LEAST 3' of stainless or titanium, then I think the aluminum would be adequate after that. Note that .010" aluminum is going to weigh a slight bit more than .005" titanium, though obviously will be significantly cheaper.

This is a picture of my titanium stove and pipe, they glow red hot, I don't think aluminum will survive the burn!

rKACxvW.jpg