Has it ever been this bad?

tdhanses

WKR
I just don't see the manufacturers providing more to the market. Majority of the places around here are bare and there are a few that have ammo but at absurd prices. How does it all work together? beats me.

Either we have a bunch of buy everything on sight hoarders or someone is blowing smoke. It seems more like smoke to me.
We have panic buyers and close to 10 million new gun owners, just think about all the ammo being bought between the 2 plus the existing owners.

Rob5589

WKR
I just don't see the manufacturers providing more to the market. Majority of the places around here are bare and there are a few that have ammo but at absurd prices. How does it all work together? beats me.

Either we have a bunch of buy everything on sight hoarders or someone is blowing smoke. It seems more like smoke to me.
Screenshot_20210301-084804.png

Let's just say half of those 39 million are new gun owners and bought one box of ammo. It is easy to see the demand vs manufacturing supply.

There are people hoarding anything they can possibly resell as soon as it hits the store shelves.

I also know of people who are buying ammo for all of their children and in reality buying more than any of them would shoot in a lifetime. It’s ridiculous.

Ammo manufacturers can’t make enough ammo to meet demand at twice the price of their standard profitable price. Makes it pretty hard to think of a reason to make less ammo.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I kind of got sick of it and am done playing the game. I’m set for the year, will just have to adjust my volume of shooting if things don’t pick back up by the end of the year.

Trying to get stuff online is a joke and prices at local shots are getting ridiculous.

I’ll keep an eye out when I’m out and about, and some product notifications for some stuff I could really use. But beyond that I’m done looking.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I started reloading in 2008. I remember being told how bad it was, but I lived right down the road from bass pro and most weeks had zero issue finding powder and bullets. Primers were harder to find, but I could still pick them up once every week or so without searching too hard.

2020-21 has been much worse than 08.

Rich M

WKR
I kind of got sick of it and am done playing the game. I’m set for the year, will just have to adjust my volume of shooting if things don’t pick back up by the end of the year.

I basically stopped shooting - was just starting to get back into it after the Obama shortage.

Got a buddy who wants to go mule deer hunting in 2022 - if this keeps up it won't happen. He's trying to find ammo, been telling him to stay calm and just keep looking. Buy it when you can. He needs at least 200 rnds for target and 40-60 for hunting.

WCB

WKR
I basically stopped shooting - was just starting to get back into it after the Obama shortage.

Got a buddy who wants to go mule deer hunting in 2022 - if this keeps up it won't happen. He's trying to find ammo, been telling him to stay calm and just keep looking. Buy it when you can. He needs at least 200 rnds for target and 40-60 for hunting.
? the Obama shortage was almost exclusively .223/5.56 and .22lr. It had virtually zero effect on any hunting rounds, even handgun ammo was fairly easy to find.

You are telling me someone needs 40-60 rounds to go on a mule deer hunt in 2022? I don't care what caliber he has if he is even remotely looking he can find something to make a hunt happen.

mt100gr.

WKR
? the Obama shortage was almost exclusively .223/5.56 and .22lr. It had virtually zero effect on any hunting rounds, even handgun ammo was fairly easy to find.

You are telling me someone needs 40-60 rounds to go on a mule deer hunt in 2022? I don't care what caliber he has if he is even remotely looking he can find something to make a hunt happen.
^^this. If someone has until 2022 it would not be that hard to get ammo squared away for the hunt.

If I was that worried, and truly wanted to make the hunt happen, I'd buy the first 5 boxes of suitable ammo I could find and then start rifle shopping if a new cartridge was what turned up...there are ways.

Rob5589

WKR

It was about 2 years before you could find .22 in any significant quantity here in CA. Never could figure that one out, kind of like the great TP shortage of 2020.

It was about 2 years before you could find .22 in any significant quantity here in CA. Never could figure that one out, kind of like the great TP shortage of 2020.
Well the material cost is lower but the labor cost is the same. So there profit margins are way lower.
Say 20 round of 6.5 creed is $35
And 800 rounds 22lr is $35
And 50 % material cost they make $17 each box.
But 800 rounds of where on the machine is the same.
Butt they make $680 on 800 rounds 6.5

You can see why gearing up for 22 is the absolute last choice.
These numbers are purely made up but im sure its all in the margins.
Id guess they only make 22 when the only other choice is to lay people off.

Rich M

WKR

Stop trying to use your logic on others. I'm in FL, where do you live? You sure that's all I could or couldn't get?

Guy in question lives in NY and can't get stuff mailed to him. Also, You assume the guy has some shooting skills. Shame on you. He missed a nice buck at 150 yds and another at 80 yds in 2019. Hasn't shot since.

I refuse to watch him drop $3k and then miss again cause he didn't practice enough. I'd never fly out to hunt wo 40 to 60 rnds of ammo.

That better now?

Axlrod

WKR
Well the material cost is lower but the labor cost is the same. So there profit margins are way lower.
Say 20 round of 6.5 creed is $35
And 800 rounds 22lr is $35
And 50 % material cost they make $17 each box.
But 800 rounds of where on the machine is the same.
Butt they make $680 on 800 rounds 6.5

You can see why gearing up for 22 is the absolute last choice.
These numbers are purely made up but im sure its all in the margins.
Id guess they only make 22 when the only other choice is to lay people off.
Rimfire and centerfire ammo are not made on the same machines and in most cases in the same plant.
Most manufacturers take their total cost of production and then apply their margin to that number. So their margins are pretty close across all product lines.