Has the internet created MORE hunters?

Flynhunt

FNG
This ^^ It has definitely created more hunting experts, many of which I don't think have ever actually hunted, but share their knowledge as if its gospel

ODB

WKR
More is not always better. I could see 100% less of the Insta hunters taking pictures with ducks in their mouth, cuddling with the deer they just killed, drinking or chugging beer out of deer carcasses, or the endless supply of stupid shit that they do. That is not helping anyone and to say it is, is horseshit.
Game and land to hunt is a limited

... all the hot chicks with a LOT of facepaint on, maybe an elk/duck call hanging out of their mouth, staring 3/4 off into the distance or up at the sky waiting for the next flight...

Judy Kovar never did that stupid shit...

truello

FNG
I definitely feel like the increase in tools that make it easy to find public land versus private land have made it harder to find secluded areas. You can't rely on luck that nobody has discovered an area anymore, and have to huff it further in.

Also seems like a lotttt more people picking up muzzleloader hunting lately due to the Instagram effect.

Zappaman

WKR
Like it or not... time (and technology) move on. What I have thankfully observed in the last 25 years on-line re. hunting is the promotion of ETHICAL hunting. The old hunters got online and said it like it is... there is no honor in doing stupid things with firearms. This is a fact (ask me, I'm a former ranch kid)... and I feel more NEW hunters today respect the hunting they participating in as well as the areas they hunt it.

I'm for ANYONE hunting and being able to afford it. That is why even though a land owner, I strongly support public land access for anyone who wants to hunt in the US. The fact that the western US is MOSTLY BLM or forest land, is a testimony to the right to hunt in America. I killed my big bull elk on public land (and 12 cow elks after that on the same). If you willing to GET OUT THERE- and go in deep (and remember to enjoy the hunt as much as the possible kill) you'll be 100% happy and successful.

The internet gave new hunters principles and a map-- Go West Young Man (and Women)!

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said….more hunters traveling west. I see less hunters on public land here in the east.

The internet has created more traveling hunters than it has hunters in general.

*zap*

WKR
Opening day of firearm deer was yesterday.....1 vehicle parked along the road when I was driving thru to where I hunted. That was public land area late afternoon. 10 years ago there would be way more people hunting along that stretch of road at least 5 vehicles.

Opening day of firearm deer was yesterday.....1 vehicle parked along the road when I was driving thru to where I hunted. That was public land area late afternoon. 10 years ago there would be way more people hunting along that stretch of road at least 5 vehicles.
Do you think that could be related to the record heat Kansas is experiencing in December? We’re supposed to hit 80° In the western portion of the state.

*zap*

WKR
It really was not crazy warm yesterday or this morning, no one hunting this am. It is almost 70° now thou. We just do not have many people hunting firearm public here the archery only areas see some traffic and lots of firearm hunters now hunt archery with xbow......I think most people want their own corn pile to sit over also.....

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR
Just wait till western hunting catches on with illegals

They’d help dispel a lot of myths about what gear is “necessary” (I say as a fully acknowledged gear queer). Ultra light to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zappaman

WKR
Amazingly our "outfit" in east central Kansas had a spectacular "opener" yesterday. Several good bucks were had, and everyone was seeing deer out. I shot my buck then had doe behind my blind (on the back side) 15 minutes later. Moon was good this year (dark nights), and the rut went late. I hope others in the area got out and had a great hunt!

This guy was a fighter! Missing a front tine and 3-4" off the two right side rear tines. 7-8 years old...

image0(2).jpeg

Zappaman

WKR
Thanks, in nine years I've only shot two good mature bucks here in Kansas... only bucks I shoot anymore. I had the luxury of a good friend's farm to hunt this year. Although our Walk In Hunting Areas "WIHA"s in the surrounding counties have offered me plentiful opportunities on public land over many years.

I seldom see other hunters out on these Kansas State public hunting areas though. I agree with you that in general, hunting in Kansas areas (by the locals) is down. We do get our share of Texas and Oklahoma hunters earlier in the season... but it's never been more than a small group of out-of-state guys the last 10 years I've lived here. Always nice guys when they come up here to these parts of Kansas.

I feel we are very lucky in Kansas to still have good hunting relations with our farmers and ranchers. You have to get out there and get to know them (I moved here 10 years ago, love it!) and it's all about being part of the community. I'm just lucky I grew up on ranches in TX and NM, so "meeting up" with the rural folks around here was just natural for me. But I'd think any young hunter who (respectfully) asked a local land owner around here would be graciously welcomed.

Good luck Kansas deer hunters!

They’d help dispel a lot of myths about what gear is “necessary” (I say as a fully acknowledged gear queer). Ultra light to say the least.

I know the spotters are better equipped than most hunters.

But yes, the illegal immigrants gear list is Spartan: 1-2 black jugs of water.

schmalzy

WKR
I know the spotters are better equipped than most hunters.

But yes, the illegal immigrants gear list is Spartan: 1-2 black jugs of water.

Got to have the black jugs. Maybe some tuna cans and some well worn Nike’s.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
100% that the internet created more hunters. I am one of those internet hunters. Coming from immigrant parents that did not have firearms or hunt, or family friends that hunted I had no clue where to start.

Getting into hunting has a lot of barriers to entry. The internet has made the information more open and available. It has also been help connect new hunters with mentors.
Welcome to the way of life. We recently moved out west and youtube, this site and plenty of escouting helped us find and harvest some nice animals, love it out here