Has the internet created MORE hunters?

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Like it or not... time (and technology) move on. What I have thankfully observed in the last 25 years on-line re. hunting is the promotion of ETHICAL hunting. The old hunters got online and said it like it is... there is no honor in doing stupid things with firearms. This is a fact (ask me, I'm a former ranch kid)... and I feel more NEW hunters today respect the hunting they participating in as well as the areas they hunt it.

I'm for ANYONE hunting and being able to afford it. That is why even though a land owner, I strongly support public land access for anyone who wants to hunt in the US. The fact that the western US is MOSTLY BLM or forest land, is a testimony to the right to hunt in America. I killed my big bull elk on public land (and 12 cow elks after that on the same). If you willing to GET OUT THERE- and go in deep (and remember to enjoy the hunt as much as the possible kill) you'll be 100% happy and successful.

The internet gave new hunters principles and a map-- Go West Young Man (and Women)!
We moved west two years and love it out here. We hunt in an area so wild onx isnt required as it is all public land, as far as you can walk and we have covered some ground and put two nice bulls in our freezer. Nothing more satisfying than hunting as a family and filling the freezer

OP
Newtosavage
I think the internet and social media have definitely had an impact on hunting….negatively. I also think companies like Sitka, Kuiu, etc have made it cool to be a “back country” hunter with their marketing strategies. And why does everyone need a “sheep gun” now? Admittedly, I have Sitka and kuiu and a couple sheep guns (I actually sheep hunt more than other other big game hunting) but I was backpack hunting way back in the day before this started. Now It’s hard to to get away from people when I used to have the mountains to myself in my old stomping grounds.
I guess I'm wondering (out loud) how much of that is the internet, and how much is just plain more people than there were back in the day?

I know in Texas, there are 3x as many people as there were when I was growing up. Logically that would mean 3x as many hunters in the woods or 3x as much area covered?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
You western boys must believe your special.

If you dont think every level of hunting has been affected your lieing to yourself.

See more guys crawling all over BFE pheasant spots. Competition for getting on the x goose hunting is miserable with alot of LO just shutting things down. Top it off there are more out of states plates at the lake down the road than local.

Still hoping this is just temporary and things will settle back to the mean.

It's not temporary - until the economy wipes everyone out.

The OnX advancements are probably one of the biggest things getting people everywhere without fear of getting lost or trespassing.

Add in the internet making info easy to get and population growth everywhere and there's a good start

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Full disclosure, I haven't read this whole thread, but here is my two sense.

Has it encouraged some new hunters, especially those who want to hunt out West? Absolutely.

What has also happened that not a lot of people are really addressing is the fact that opportunity states are having residents now apply for every possible tag just to make sure they have opportunity. A lot of people used to just get leftover cow tags, now you had better apply to even have a chance. Top it off, every legal hunter in a household now applies for every tag and that ADDS UP fast!

Eyeman

FNG
It has popularized things in my opinion.
Just like when I watched Bo and Luke jump their car.
I wanted to do the same thing.

svivian

WKR
Full disclosure, I haven't read this whole thread, but here is my two sense.

Has it encouraged some new hunters, especially those who want to hunt out West? Absolutely.

What has also happened that not a lot of people are really addressing is the fact that opportunity states are having residents now apply for every possible tag just to make sure they have opportunity. A lot of people used to just get leftover cow tags, now you had better apply to even have a chance. Top it off, every legal hunter in a household now applies for every tag and that ADDS UP fast!
This is a very good point. As a Colorado resident I used to be able to buy a cow tag the day before season if I missed out on killing something during archery season. Now I have to apply for a cow tag regardless so I don't miss out on filling my freezer each year.

Rich M

WKR
My thoughts: I started deer hunting in 1978, was hunting small game since maybe 1974 or 1975. Back east with guys frequented hunting camps in the north woods (now gone). And before a lot of hunting leases.

Have no idea how many millions and millions of formerly hunt-able acreage is now posted No Trespassing, a subdivision, parceled-off, or giant shopping plaza. Where I grew up shooting squirrels, rabbits and pheasants is now a shopping plaza, my folks bought some land and we hunted/fished/snow mobiled/etc. thousands of adjacent land that is all posted and much of it was divided into 5-acre lots. Hard to snow track a deer across 20-25 5-acre lots with cabins on em. Deer still cross thru mom's land but before and after, we can't pursue them due to neighbors saying "no".

Folks are now traveling cause hunting around home often sucks and there are other places to see and experience. FL is a nightmare for me to try and hunt cause the places I want to hunt and the little 3-5 day hunts cost 3-5 preference points. So, wait 3 years and get to hunt 3 days. Nutz. There are other opportunities, but if I'm gonna drive 2-6-8 hours across the state. I'd rather go out of state. Used to lease in GA and SC but finally realized what it actually cost me and said I'd rather go elsewhere for that money (bought a boat - have about $1,000/year left over from my hunting budget after making the payments and putting gas in it - go figure - saving up those $1,000's for when my time comes with WY speed goats again.)

As for hunting out west, IMO, GPS with onXmaps is the single biggest reason for the explosion of folks going. Before, there was always the threat of the trespassing issue, and how the locals and LEOs frowned on NR hunters getting on the wrong side of some imaginary line in the middle of a field or mountain side. We actually considered that stuff when thinking about taking the trip and decided that it wasn't worth the risk 1/2 way across the country.

So - we have loss of places to go (camps), loss of private hunting land, no trespassing signs, explosion of hunting leases, increased pressure, less game on public land, Quota points to get a simple license close to home - or across the country, etc. Technology also opened up what was formerly foreboding and difficult.

Then we get into the idea that if we can't hunt around home, let's go somewhere with more and diff opportunity. That shifted pressure to what folks enjoy whether it be birds or big game or small game/prairie dogs.

The internet and you tube has surely affected what folks see and use in their decision making process. It is part of the puzzle but not the sole reason.

That and covid
Amazingly our "outfit" in east central Kansas had a spectacular "opener" yesterday. Several good bucks were had, and everyone was seeing deer out. I shot my buck then had doe behind my blind (on the back side) 15 minutes later. Moon was good this year (dark nights), and the rut went late. I hope others in the area got out and had a great hunt!

This guy was a fighter! Missing a front tine and 3-4" off the two right side rear tines. 7-8 years old...

View attachment 352484
nice one!!

OP
Newtosavage
I wonder how much an increase in disposable income combined with just plain more reliable vehicles has to do with the increase in Western hunting. I mean, I wouldn't have driven my 1980 Datsun pickup all the way to NW Colorado, but I don't think twice about it in the vehicle I own now.

18 hour one-day trips were almost unheard of in those days.

Oliver65

FNG
I like the escape from the internet while in west texas... that being said we just had a member install wifi in the cantina fml