Has there been a situation where your EDC weapon has saved you?

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't bet my life and freedom on that. I have ordered and supervised hundreds of evictions. You'd be shocked to learn how little it takes to be considered a "resident". Any evidence including personal property, mail delivered to that address etc could be enough for law enforcement to consider someone a resident and require a court ordered eviction. I once had a homeless person move into a vacant home the same day as the new buyers closed escrow. They were surprised when they showed up with their moving truck and found the locks were changed, real estate sign gone and someone living in their new home. I tried to have him removed by the local PD but was unsuccessful and had to go through the months long eviction process. Just because someone is not on the lease or deed does not mean they have not established "residence".
Thanks, @fmyth. The three of us were all working in property management at the time. I've managed properties and teams of property managers in three different states. I had a pretty good handle on tenant-landlord law in that state at the time - on account of the fact that I managed a team of four property managers overseeing ~1500 homes at the time.

This dude absolutely would not have passed muster for having any legal right to access the property at the objection of the tenant. Furthermore, he committed not one but TWO felonies before charging at me. Additionally, he was about 6 feet from me when he charged. I recommend reading about the 21 foot rule if you're not already familiar.

I'm going to go ahead and tune out the rest of the replies here since some y'all archair legal experts have it all figured out.

Edit to add:
1. If he had possession of the property, he would have had keys. He wouldn’t have had to break in.
2. I was invited into the property by the person we knew DID have legal possession. That person repeatedly told homeboy to leave. I was never asked to leave by anyone - including homeboy. If he was on the lease, don’t you think HE would have told ME to leave, and called the cops himself?
3. Possession of the property and legal right to occupy it is irrelevant. Even if he did have possession - which he didn’t - I was legally on the property as well. He instigated the shouting, aggression, violence, all of it. HE charged ME. I was the defender. If you invite me into your home and then threaten to kill me, I have a legal right to defend myself. Just because someone has possession and/or ownership of a property doesn’t give them the right to murder guests.
/end

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
I haven't, but if I was able to carry when I grew up for 32 years in NY, there are accountless incidents where I wish that I had a gun on me.

A pitbull charging me and my pregnant wife while we were walking around our neighborhood.

A gang of street bikes surrounding me on the highway and forcing me to pull over into the shoulder while I was driving my 2003 Mach 1. Only by the grace of God there was a cop behind all those people and he pulled up with his lights on behind me and all the street bikes took off. No question they were trying to rob me and steal my car.

Getting confronted by an enraged homeless man digging though a dumpster behind my place of employment. He later went on to strike a police officer in the same spot.

Running into some questionable characters out in the woods. There are countless examples but those are the ones coming to top of my head.

People who live in Wyoming where I live now have made comments about how I ALWAYS have a pistol on me. I have to explain to them that when you live somewhere that doesn't give you the right to protect yourself and your family , and then you do, it's a whole different mindset. I NEVER want to feel vulnerable like I did in those situations ever again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Same kinda thing for me. I moved from the UK in '09 where self defense itself, is not actually a right. I worked as nightclub door security (gussied up bouncer....) part time for years & I've lost count of the number of times I've put myself or been put into situations that made me fear for my safety, but that's the job.
However, since I've been able to carry legally; I have, everywhere it's legal for me to do so. I wasn't silly about it & honestly did a lot of thinking & soul searching before I decided to.
I'm a life long shooter, but took a lot of training before I ever strapped on a holster. I haven't been in a bad situation since & I hope like hell I never am, but I'd like to think I'm at least a little better prepared for one should it arise.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent reaponses! Very valuable information in these experiences you all have shared!

Wvroach

WKR
Yes. My ifak and car kit have been used way more often though.

If you are carrying a gun you should certainly be carrying medical, and know how to use both.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
No. However, having it has been quite comforting in a few potentially bad situations. But, it has never left the holster and I was able to exit the potential conflicts without violence.

The two times I have been assaulted (and pressed charges) were at work and for safety reasons, even if it was allowed, I would not carry a weapon.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Worked my way through college in a convenience store in a bad neighborhood.
I always carried a 1911 in my back pocket. Everybody knew I carried and never had any real problems because they knew.
But I remember one "Lil Homey" I'd never seen before came in one day running his mouf. He mentioned he was "bout to pop a cap off in my a$$".
I laughed at him till he put his hand in his pocket.
I drew that 1911 and clicked off the safe.
Holding it at a 45' angle to the ground with both hands.
But not pointing it at him. But he saw enough.
Never had to say anything. He walked out.
I did find a glass bottle situated under one of my tires when I got off work though.

Brooks

WKR
I was out of state working…
I was in a parking lot of a store one night talking to my wife on the phone when two guys that were walking towards me stopped and stood there looking at me, one guy starts screaming at me…what the f#$& you lookin at MF’er…..he was holding a jacket over his shoulder and kept screaming at me.

All of a sudden he dropped the jacket and was holding two long neck beer bottles, one in each hand. He dropped down and smashed them both on the ground and started walking towards me all the time yelling at me …what you lookin at MF’er.

I have a CC and that’s when I reached behind me and pulled out a S&W 9mm. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the pistol, backed up a ways and that’s when I told him …I’m lookin at you MF’er…He started screaming …kill me, go ahead and kill me.

I told him that’s exactly what I’m going to do if you come at me, as I eased to my truck and left. I alway laugh thinking back on it the fool wasted two good beers for nothing.

Only a couple of times when I thought I needed my handgun. First was at a gas station filling up. Two guys walked towards me and instantly split up. One coming around behind my truck and the other from the front. I pulled the gas nozzle out of the tank and pointed it at the guy behind my truck with my left hand and placed my hand on my pistol with my right so the other guy could see that. They both stopped suddenly when they rounded the gas pumps.

Second time was coming out of a Subway at night with my hands full of food. Some guy was hiding in the dark and when I came out of the store and turned with my back towards him he jumped out and grabbed me by the shoulder. I dropped the sandwiches and spun around knocking his hand off and grabbed my pistol right when I turned around. I never drew it but the guy stopped. Employees came out when they saw what happened and apparently the guy was homeless and had been causing a lot of trouble there lately.

I don’t carry anymore. It got to be such a pain here in NM. Take the class, shoot to qualify. Shoot to qualify every two years. Take a mini class every 4 years and shoot to qualify again. I figured if it gets bad enough then I will just carry openly or even concealed without the dumb permit. I always have a sharp knife on me and if someone gets close enough to me to be able to use it, they better watch out! They will be leaving with a lot of flesh gone or a few appendages gone. Or won’t be leaving at all.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t carry anymore. It got to be such a pain here in NM. Take the class, shoot to qualify. Shoot to qualify every two years. Take a mini class every 4 years and shoot to qualify again. I figured if it gets bad enough then I will just carry openly or even concealed without the dumb permit.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what they want - make it so inconvenient that you won’t carry (later: won’t own a gun), or at least turn you into a criminal for not checking all the boxes and obtaining all the paperwork.

Yeah, I know that’s what they want. I will never give up any of my guns. If it gets bad enough for me to carry concealed then the least of my worries will be the paperwork. If it’s concealed no one will know I have it anyway. If that labels me a criminal then so be it.

Cervid

FNG
No. However, having it has been quite comforting in a few potentially bad situations. But, it has never left the holster and I was able to exit the potential conflicts without violence.

The two times I have been assaulted (and pressed charges) were at work and for safety reasons, even if it was allowed, I would not carry a weapon.
what line of work are you in?

Took my oldest son, a nephew and a niece fishing one night in Port Aransas Texas in a small park by the Ferry Crossing. The boys were 10-12 year olds and my niece was about 14 at the time. It was almost midnight as the trout were hitting well under the lights. Two undesirables had been eyeing us pretty hard during the evening. We were a little ways away from the pier but under a light pole. They finally got up enough nerve to try to come over and probably attempt to rob me. I saw them working their way to us. I had told the kids earlier that I did not like their looks and if I said we had to go quickly that they were to reel up quickly we had to get out of there fast. So when they started coming I told the kids here they come, reel up. There was a restroom building between us and them. One of the two guys separated. One was going around the other side of the building to try to sandwich us between them. So we headed towards the one going around the backside of the building as he would lose sight of us. As we came around wide around the corner of the building we almost walked right into the one coming around the building. We caught him off guard and he quickly looked at his buddies directions and stopped. He wasn’t sure what to do as we disrupted their plan. So he started towards me and started saying hey you with the kids , hold up there. So about then his buddy started running around the backside of the building at this time and he had picked up a large stick on his way around the building .So I pulled my pistol and told them both to stand down. I told them they were threatening me and my kids and I had been watching them , I knew they were up to no good and I sure didn’t want to shoot them but if either one of them came any closer I was going to shoot them both not just one of them. They were not happy and mouthed off quite a bit but the pistol stopped them in their tracks. They were really pissed off their plan did not work. The kids were originally scared to death but then started telling their parents what happened when we got back to the condo we were staying in. My sister-in-law freaked and my brother in-law wanted to take another road trip down to the park! I was extremely glad to have it on me. I believe it made all the difference that night.