Has western hunting become a wealthy man's sport?

Jon Boy

WKR
I don't think western hunting is any more expensive than eastern white tail hunting. You can make it as expensive or inexpensive as you want. I killed my biggest mule deer buck in blue jeans and a flannel after school one day.
Alot of people out east spend an insane amount of money trying to kill the biggest white tail in the woods between several stands, all of the scent lock this and that, new bows, land leases etc
I started back pack hunting when I was in college and broke as all get out. I loved every minute of it. I still do with more expensive gear.

The most important thing you can invest in to be successful is TIME. take that for what it's worth.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
This is a great thread! I think the price of gear is less painfull than the price of opportunity. At the end of the hunt you still have your gear, but you may have shelled out several hundred dollars or more for the tag regardless of your success

Yup for most its easier and less expensive to buy a sweet cool new piece of gear and talk about using it than to get away on a couple 10 day hunts a year. Just the reality of it. Time is a huge expenditure many of us don't have, thus relegated to shorter 1-3 day hunts and maybe 1 or 2 week long outings annually. Nothing wrong with that, but I feel most folks are far more time limited than gear limited.

tttoadman

WKR
I have spent more money on hunting in the past few years than I could have imagined. I started with the idea of expanding my ability and gear to be out in the woods longer. My best buck is the one on my avatar pic. Notice the cotton bibs. I also packed my 15 yr old REI tent with my 20 yr old camp trails pack frame. I had a blast that year, but I could definitely see why people justify some of this high end gear. I have made some expensive purchases over the last couple years, but it is worth it. I covered 13 miles with a pack on yesterday with my Lowa boots. To this day, I have yet to get a blister wearing these boots. I would have never imagined that was possible. I have places like Rokslide to thank for introducing me to some of this high end gear and making me truly see the value in it.

Now for cost. Since I have gotten more hardcore about backpack hunting, here are some things that have changed for me.
1. I have found more enjoyment in hunting and being in the woods than ever before.
2. I don't need an expensive camper or trailer to go hunting.
3. Because of no 2, my primary hunting and scouting vehicle is a VW TDI wagon that gets 42mpg. The 95 power stroke leaves the house only for late hunting or when I go with family wall tent hunting

Once I acquired some quality gear, my cost/hr in the woods has likely gone down. Now it is just a maintenance type of thing in regard to gear purchases. I really enjoyed the one year of out of state hunting when I went to ID, and I can likely afford to do that again every few years.

The bottom line for me is have more enjoyable hrs in the field now, and I dont spend a ton of money to get there.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If we compare ourselves to most of the rest of the world's population, even the least of us are "wealthy". In general we are the most prosperous, spoiled, and unappreciative people on the planet. It's easy for us to get into the "woe is me" mentality when compared to many other Americans. But if we compare ourselves to the rest of the world...........we got it good........real good!

But yet major Hunting clothing manufacurers have us all thinking we need their gear because we are all "expedition grade" hunters.
I think most people desire to be subsistence hunters. It seem resonable to assume you can go in and around you immediate surroundings and procure game, right? Low cost and having a direct influence to "your" biosphere. Localvores unite....but stay the heck out of my neighborhood!

If you want to step beyond that.......welcome to wealthy western hunting.

Grab you Yeti coolers, load up the Tundra. Clean the objective from you Nightforce and get your Leica Range finder. Make sure you've grab the Satilite phone because your going remote after some sweet game. Get ready cause there's likely a few other wealthy folk heading that way too.

I don't think it's too far fetched to say there are wealthy sportsmen in competition for game. Game that's too far from the reach of normal blokes.

All due respect to all my hunting brothers and sisters out there getting after it with whatever gear they got. I agree that there are inexpensive ways to hunt and no offence my stance is only in the interest of a good online discussion. Cheers!

Sounds like a damn sitka Promo.

I've hunted alaska once, travel costs were the biggest issue. You don't need all that other junk, at least I didn't.

Yup for most its easier and less expensive to buy a sweet cool new piece of gear and talk about using it than to get away on a couple 10 day hunts a year. Just the reality of it. Time is a huge expenditure many of us don't have, thus relegated to shorter 1-3 day hunts and maybe 1 or 2 week long outings annually. Nothing wrong with that, but I feel most folks are far more time limited than gear limited.
Yup, I fit that mold. I have a great family, and a good job to support them, both of which take up a lot of my time. I get out when I can, but due to time constraints, it's not as much as I would like, but no regrets about it.

I've never met him, but after his earlier post about his season, I wanna be like Stid when I grow up. Seems like he managed his finances well, and now retired, has the time and means to go on some amazing hunts with awesome gear.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is well stated Luke. I try to maximize my 10/14 days a year I get to truly hunt. I buy and upgrade gear to give me some kind of edge. Usually the benefit is personal and only allows me to enjoy the experience even more.

Bighorse

WKR
At the end of the day, time is money.
So are you a western hunter if you get a mule deer once a year?
Or is a Western hunter a person applying for tags in Montana, Arizona, and Washington in pursuit of Shiras, RM Bighorns, and Cous deer?
Fact is the regular joe has some steep competition from wealthy hunters. Especially on the acess front.
For example, I got a hunt I do often and I know the wealthy joe who flies all around me attempting to find game and out maneuver me.
No laws are broken and we're both out there just using whatever resources we got.
I'd say, for the most part, most of us cruising this site are a little above average. We got time and money to hunt. God willing, we all have health too.

husky390

WKR
I thought hunting was getting expensive until I looked into auto racing and suddenly my hobby of choice is very cheap. I'll golf when I'm old and can't hunt anymore. Buying used and making do with what you have is the way to go if you're on a budget.

Beastmode

WKR
I thought hunting was getting expensive until I looked into auto racing and suddenly my hobby of choice is very cheap. I'll golf when I'm old and can't hunt anymore. Buying used and making do with what you have is the way to go if you're on a budget.
If I can play golf I can hunt. I may not be able to hike around but I will still be able to get in and out of a blind.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

My plan is when I am too old to climb up mountains after sheep and goats primarily is to stick to brown bears and moose and have my nephew along to pack it all for me ;)

husky390

WKR
My plan is when I am too old to climb up mountains after sheep and goats primarily is to stick to brown bears and moose and have my nephew along to pack it all for me ;)

Good call. You could also stick to white tails. The only elevation gain you'll get is the tree stand. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll golf when I'm old and can't hunt anymore.

As I get a little older each year, my priorities change a little as well. When my eyesight isn't quite the same and I start to feel every joint and muscle in my body more often, I realize that I need to get in as much hunting and golf as I can..........NOW!! I've already lived a very full life and have the scars to prove it. By the time I hit normal retirement age I won't be able to hunt or golf anymore. So I gotta get it in..........NOW!!

There is just no way I will be able to enjoy myself chasing sheep when I'm 65. Of course I could be 65 before I even draw a sheep tag. And I know my elk hunting wouldn't be the same at all. Yep, I gotta get in as much as I can NOW, while I still can.:) The money I have at 65 will have to be spent on a motorhome and a second house on the beach.

Who knows? By the time I'm 65 I might actually be able to sit for more than 5 minutes at a time. I might actually enjoy sitting in a blind.......but I doubt it.

handwerk

WKR
Very interesting read folks. To me it's as much a question of lifestyle. I've come to appreciate quality gear and have spent quite a bit on it, but once I know what works for me I settle in knowing I have the best I can afford, and quit with the wants; knowing my rifles, optics, pack and clothing all make those precious days afield that much more enjoyable. The fixed costs of heading west from Mn can be tough especially when you try and bring one or more of your kids with, but we sleep in the back of the truck when on the road, and eat cheap and all my hunts are DIY. I manage to go west at least 2x a year with an Ak trip thrown in once in a while.
Being self employed if I'm not working I'm not getting paid, so each trip takes it's toll, especially trying to help 2 kids through college as well. But our lifestyle includes a little log house about to be paid off, old vehicles and a very understanding wife. Much of my work is for older 1%'ers and if I've learned one thing from them it's as you get on in life it's all about the experiences you've had not what you own, something many of them figured out a little late in life.

rayporter

WKR
these last few posts are really trying to tell you young bucks something that you wont figure out till you have drawn a bunch of SS checks.

go hunt even if you just take rubber rain gear and live outta the pickup. that there fancy gear dont mean squat if yer sitting on the couch.

it is what you make it. i dont regret that i did not get in a sheep hunt - i am just very happy i got to do what i could.

oh and that golf---no way. i will go shoot somewhere, at least i will smell powder.

bz_711

WKR
Still plenty of ways to enjoy multiple big game hunts in many mountain states for very little cost. That's why I love the DIY style...tag and gas is all you have to spend if you already have a bow and a knife...the rest is discretionary...

I'm very thankful to have some guys that opened my eyes to this a while back. I used to dream of a CO elk hunt...now I've gone 5 years in a row.

Anyone can start with a walmart tent, cooler of food/drinks, crappy used pack frame, and an OTC tag. I agree most of the tag costs are pretty crazy...but so it taking my family to a movie.
Now bighorn sheep...you might need to save a little bit for...

DaveC

WKR
IMO all the gear and time stuff is besides the point. In these respects hunting is like any other outdoor pursuit; you can spend as much or (almost) as little as you like on stuff, with very little making much difference as far as how well you do the activity. Similarly, you can prioritize the activity over other things in your life if you so choose, possibly far over.

The reason hunting absolutely biases the rich is that license and tags are far too expensive, and hunting has seemingly accepted tons of money-only shortcuts like trespass fees and helicopter access which would never be viewed as acceptable in other realms (granted this analogy is very inexact). As someone who came to hunting recently, with a background in climbing/backpacking/etc, it's pretty appalling.

MattB

WKR
A friend told me a story he heard from an old sheep hunter that he and his brother used to pack into the mountains of BC carrying their stuff in buckets (instead of a backpack) and wearing blue jeans. Perhaps the reality is that the industry has convinced us we need all the gadgets and latest and greatest in order to be successful - and we believed them.