Has your Kifaru Lost Park Parka lost loft?

TheCougar

WKR
I have a LPP that I bought this fall and used all season. I love the jacket, but... when I first bought it, it was really puffy. I looked like the Michelin man wearing it. It was incredibly warm and puffy. After a season of use, it’s a normal jacket. It certainly isn’t puffy any more and the insulation is really flat. It’s still warm, but not the crazy warm when I first bought it. I’ve maybe washed it 3-4 times, in accordance with the directions, using mild technical detergent and hang drying. Is this normal for a LPP? I gotta say, if this is normal, I’m pretty disappointed. I splurged on the jacket and made a special trip to the store when I was in CO. I love everything else on the jacket, but the Insulation has not impressed me after a season of use.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Kifaru replied to my email and said basically that what I experienced is normal. Bummer.

This is why I've decided to stick with down, and understand its limitations. I'm not really interested in filling landfills with more stuff than necessary. I get that synthetics fill a need for folks, but it comes with a degradation cost.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is why I've decided to stick with down, and understand its limitations. I'm not really interested in filling landfills with more stuff than necessary. I get that synthetics fill a need for folks, but it comes with a degradation cost.

Synthetics have became a specialized, single season use item. From pants to jackets to insulation, it dosn’t last and only in places such as SE AK do I use them. Synthetic used to be the general use material with down/natural for specialized use. With water treated down (at least SG’s) performance over the last few years, the roles of synthetic and down/natural fibers have flipped. Natural has become what I use most of the time with synthetic being for very specific roles.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Synthetics have became a specialized, single season use item. From pants to jackets to insulation, it dosn’t last and only in places such as SE AK do I use them. Synthetic used to be the general use material with down/natural for specialized use. With water treated down (at least SG’s) performance over the last few years, the roles of synthetic and down/natural fibers have flipped. Natural has become what I use most of the time with synthetic being for very specific roles.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking after this experience. If only someone made a down jacket with the durability of the LPP. I’m hell on my gear and the LPP has really stood up to abuse. All my down gear needs to be babied and can’t be beat up with brushbusting or crawling around.

Jbehredt

WKR
I tend to agree with this line of thinking after this experience. If only someone made a down jacket with the durability of the LPP. I’m hell on my gear and the LPP has really stood up to abuse. All my down gear needs to be babied and can’t be beat up with brushbusting or crawling around.

I like that idea. A bomber shell material (rhino skin) with 900fp down insulation. Counter intuitive but it makes sense on rokslide.

jolemons

WKR
I like that idea. A bomber shell material (rhino skin) with 900fp down insulation. Counter intuitive but it makes sense on rokslide.
I was in a Duluth Trading Co store today for the first time. They had some cool stuff, down jackets and vests with durable rip-stop type outer fabric being a few.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk