Hatch outwest bipod

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with hatch out west bipod? How it works or any other considerations. Thanks

SDHNTR

WKR
Search for a thread I did recently on bipods. I have one. In summary, it’s the best option purely for a hunter. But it is far from perfect, and IMO, has simple design flaws that are frustrating and could have been easily engineered another way.

I would echo what’s been said above.

ive been practicing with mine on my .22lr and 25-06 about once a week in field positions. It works great and I have no major gripes with it. Takes a little practice to make use of all the height options.

ctwert24

FNG
Been using one for the last three seasons. Highly suggest it. However, there is a canting lever that needs to be completely disengaged before you can widen the legs to their lowest setting. Which can be frustrating when trying to set up on an animal. It definitely has a large range of motion regarding heights and uneven terrain. Overall, it has served me well.

SDHNTR

WKR
Why they couldn’t use a simple button for widening the legs instead of that pull cord makes no sense. The friction screw for basic leg deployment is an oversight also. You got to keep the screw loose enough so you can actually move the legs, and then you got too much slop. Tighten the screw up to take out the slop, and the legs won’t actuate. So annoying! If this thing had all the features and adjustability that it currently does, yet deployed like an Atlas bipod, they would have nailed it.

Last edited:

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and would echo everything above. It’s not 100% perfect but it’s pretty dang great. It’s a weight hit compared to others but so much more versatile. I took my muley last year sitting with the legs extended enough to sit above a small bush.

TN2shot07

WKR
I was hoping to read some bad reviews, I’ve also been putting off buying one. It’s never fun to bite that bullet but glad to see they work as advertised!

I do not think there is a better “hunting” bipod available. If there is, I’d love to know about it, the hatch wins in Its ability to go low, high, or deploy on almost any angle in seconds is amazing. I bought mine in 2017 right when they first released them, I love it.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Used one on an auodad hunt recently. I was leaning over a boulder with the hatch fully extended. Unusual shooting positio for me but the hatch really solved the setup issue.

cmahoney

WKR
It’s a great tool, extremely versatile.
720ed384a421215018189c701e95bdd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
IDK what rock I've been under not knowing this type of hunting use bipod existed. Any updates? Did they fix the problems listed above and come out with a Gen 2 ? Or is it the same bipod as the original release from 2017 ?

unaware of a gen 2.

I got the tall Hatch last fall, and took four deer off it. Its nice. I do not have any issue with the pull-cord design for splaying the legs. EDIT-- I have the ADM clamp version. Use the ADM clamp and sometimes the RRS arca clamp. I wouldn't want the non-ADM version of the Hatch

It's easy to go from splayed-to-tall, so I just leave it in the splayed position when carrying.

It is 24oz, so its a pretty decent compromise between a lightweight bipod and carrying a tripod.

Wife was only able to shoot her doe because of the tall bipod. Grass (as always) was way too high, and the field (as always) not perfectly flat.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The new version with ADM clamp would fix a lot of the issues for me.

Still would prefer non rotating legs

If Gunwerks doesn’t fix their gen1 I would consider going back to the hatch with adm clamp for this season

SDHNTR

WKR
The new version with ADM clamp would fix a lot of the issues for me.

Still would prefer non rotating legs

If Gunwerks doesn’t fix their gen1 I would consider going back to the hatch with adm clamp for this season
The ADM clamp isn’t exactly new. They have it for a couple years. I had one of the original slide on clamps and if you want to take on and off regularly or will use it on multiple rifles it should not even be considered. The Gen 2 that was rumored was supposed to fix the leg deployment suck. Don’t think that’s happened yet, it still sucks. Both the deployment and the way the legs lock into place.

The ADM clamp isn’t exactly new. They have it for a couple years. I had one of the original slide on clamps and if you want to take on and off regularly or will use it on multiple rifles it should not even be considered. The Gen 2 that was rumored was supposed to fix the leg deployment suck. Don’t think that’s happened yet, it still sucks. Both the deployment and the way the legs lock into place.
I didn’t think the slide on mechanism was that bad just had to use their pic rail. There was additional play there and I assumed the adm clamp would mitigate it. I’ve had 2 of the slide on over the years..never had an issue with the leg deployment. Not my favorite bipod but not my least favorite..

Not my favorite bipod but not my least favorite..
This is pretty much it

Its half the cost and 1lb lighter than a Triple Pull Ckye. It has a unique deployment with it's own pros and cons.

There are better bipods for prone only and better options for seated/kneeling only. But this one spans the gap pretty well. It may not be for everyone, but I'd recommend trying it if you haven't and are interested.