Hatchet vs Saw

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
I am a fan of my Granfors Small Forrest Axe. Super handy to prep wood, limb trees and split kindling in to the tiniest pieces. When it’s sharp enough it makes feather sticks and would have no issue skinning game as I have seen other online do. It is worth the weight to me. A small folding saw would compliment it nicely though.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys find the small forest axe to short ever? I’ve always preferred abit longer axe, something about the length of my arm. Just seems more versatile.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
I do find the small forest axe a bit short for anything heavier than what I mentioned above, the short handle is wonderful for the detailed work though! I bought another longer handled Husqvarna axe (same weight head) that will fell smaller trees, buck them up, and is more than adequate for splitting larger seasoned rounds.

Do you guys find the small forest axe to short ever? I’ve always preferred abit longer axe, something about the length of my arm. Just seems more versatile.

It's not really a full 2-handed axe, but more of a versatile tool. A larger axe would be harder to work with at some of the tasks I use my GB-SFA to do. In the end it's a great and useful compromise tool.

Stuie88

FNG
A couple of times I did but it was operator error, the shape and build of the axe tricked me into biting off more than I could chew a couple of times when I first got it. It was sharp enough and handy enough to get through the job but just a lot of work.
Since I've played with it properly I haven't felt like it was too small, I stick to camp chores and small firewood when I'm backpacking and camping and it's great.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
I agree silky... gombay or big boy for feeding fire.

I got extra blades in medium teeth or I use the pocket boy if wood and bone are needed.

I also fashioned a homemade bone saw only using a hack saw blade on a tip from my taxidermy buddy. Honestly can’t recall teeth count but seems it’s a 24 tpi, with kerf and tempered. But reinforced hose over the end for a handle.

It’s slick fir back pack hunting and no need for wood processing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the Wyoming saws. I have like 7 of them now. I keep one in each car, one on my jet boat, one on my snow machine and have a few others around. Makes it really easy to make poles and cut sweepers so I can boat through the channels. Just last week I got my truck stuck in the snow (driving where I shouldn’t have been) and the Wyoming saw made it easy to cut wood for a fire and then cut wood to get under the tires.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Good call on the OP’s decision for the Silky. The beauty to me of these are that they are generally “pull-stroke” blades on Silky’s; I have busted a few saws over the years but almost always it is when putting pressure on the forward stroke as folding saws don’t have anything supporting the front of the blade.

Saw, hatchet, or larger knife; almost a personal preference or area based decision depending on the available flora for fuel. Generally a saw and knife are my go-to combo but recently picked up a Wenger Beohawk which is a really fun multitool of a hatchet!

F0C84C4A-D923-4FF0-AC03-E29911714F61.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CA5D93A-2240-4EBD-A97E-ED09263AC40B.jpeg
    4CA5D93A-2240-4EBD-A97E-ED09263AC40B.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 31

rcdinaz

FNG
Any preference on teeth? After seeing this I am buying a Silky for sure. Probably going to use it most on small stuff.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use a wyoming saw and pack a good sheath knife that I can baton wood with if I want it split

move had nothing but good results with my wyoming saws, I don’t backpack with them but there’s no reason you couldn’t. I take them on float hunts and boat hunts, love them, great for taking moose apart too with the bone blade.

rbljack

WKR
thanks for the inputs. I was researching my options for firewood on backpack hunts to use with m small wifi stove. The stove is small, so larger rounds wont even fit in. while I REALLY want a GB small forest axe, I don't think its what I want to carry on a backpack hunt.Trying to avoid the extra weight of the knife for batoning though. I may have to spend an afternoon trying different options in the backyard and compare weights to see what really works in practice while remaining lightweight

Anybody tried the Samarui Itchiban saw with curved, 13" fixed blade, sheath and around 14 oz??

Amazon link here: https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Ichi..._37?keywords=Silky+saw&qid=1580904975&sr=8-37

Last edited:

FatBuddah

WKR
I pack in both and I don’t even have a stove..... love me a fire though, it’s a must have.
Boreal 21 and the Fiskers, I’ll take the in and out penalty to be comfortable for 7-10 days.

zuren

FNG
I prefer a saw, just from the safety factor. I've used Silky and they are nice. I have a Stihl arborist saw and it works well.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Any preference on teeth? After seeing this I am buying a Silky for sure. Probably going to use it most on small stuff.
Medium. I temporarily list mine and my new one was much cheaper in large teeth. Found the old one and can use side by side, medium.
If you're buying the katana and cutting 20+" rounds? Large

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk