Hatchet

Hey All. I'm looking to add a hatchet to my camping pack. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good one they'd recommend. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

mmac

WKR
I have a number of higher end ones, but the one I always seem to grab is the fiskars. The handle will never break, the head is a good balance for splitting and chopping and great weight to carry. Not as nice looking or good at chopping as the gransfor.

FLAK

WKR
I keep 2-3 around the house and in my Landcruiser.
Estwing, Gerber, and another off brand w/a wooden handle.
Amazing how useful they are.

OP
B
I love how the gransfors looks, seems like a damn good axe. It's a little higher end than what I was looking to go right now but I'll definitely be looking at it for one to get later. I'll definitely look into that fiskars one some more, when I seen it it kinda reminded me what the gerber ones looked like a bit but I didn't know how they'd do

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Wife got me a Kobalt I like for splitting kindling.says .5 kg on paper rubberized handle the lb wore off. Lifetime warranty. Fiskers x27 maul is one of my Best Buy’s. Their Hatchets probably would rank up there.

I would look hard at fiskar, Gerber (made by fiskars) and a leather handled estwing.

I own a couple of grans fors. A hatchet and an axe. They are things of beauty and craftsmanship.

However, I own an armload of fiskars And I use them far more. From splitting mauls to hatchets. They all work great and I have never had a problem with one. I have all but stopped using my other tools for home firewood. I keep a fiskars chopping axe in my truck. My favorite hatchets for backpacking are the 14 inch fiskars and the Gerber gator combo with the saw in the handle. Fiskars makes Gerber’s hatchets. There is also a 17” Gerber version that has a slightly longer handle and a bit more heft.

the Swedes make a hell of an axe And gransfor and other high end axes are definitely exceptional but I just have a hard time using my $200 axe the same way I use a $40 fiskars or $30 Home Depot special.

Trial153

WKR
In love beating on a well made gear the way it was intended to be used. I can't help think there is Smith somewhere with a smile on his face knowing his tool was put to good hard use.

Took an outdoor axe with me to Alaska this past august. Pounded stakes, cut fire wood, spit a rib cage and built a meat pole.

Anyway whatever you pick it will work.
dd6f19b6b7f70be1b4fe312af5332807.jpg

I've got a couple of Gransfors and wouldn't trade them for anything. Hults is another good one that doesn't quite command the price of Gransfors. Have also heard Wetterlings makes a good axe but I've never used one. I had a Fiskars back in the day and just personally didn't like the way it packed. Always seemed awkward and bulky. They do the job though.

Fiskars X7 is hands down the way to go. Its light weight, balanced, and holds a good edge. I've used it for chopping and spitting backcountry wood with good success. Another plus is the lifetime warranty, and this is no joke. I've had Fiskars send me two brand new hatchets (both due to user induced rock encounters).

SDHNTR

WKR
Husqvarna is great bang for buck. Granfors Bruks are best of the best. Hults Bruks almost there but not quite GB status.

Mosby

WKR
If you want something to split wood then buy a Fiskars. If you want something to clear trails, cut small firewood etc., buy a full size GB or Hults Bruk. I normally bring both to base camp. I always have an axe in my truck during the season. I also keep a file in my truck so I can put an edge on them. Nothing worse than a dull axe. Don't buy anything under a 19 inch handle for camping. Those short handled hatchets are accidents waiting to happen.