Hats for trad?

I always seem to be forgetting I'm wearing a cap until i draw my bow, then turn the damn thing around. What do you guys wear on your head when hunting?

Wrench

WKR
I have the firstlite merino radar. I'd never own it if it weren't for my longbow. It's not too warm and does exactly what I need.

In warm weather I typically wear a normal ball cap. Except that I take a pair of heavy scissors and trim 1/2 to 1" off of the bill. Then I superglue the edges so that the fabric doesn't come undone.

If I'm in more open country I'll use a boonie to keep the sun off of my neck.

In cooler weather it'll be a beanie of some kind. Or more than one if it's cold.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
White boy here...with a lot of sun damage from decades in the construction industry outside.

So I need a boonie style hat for more sun protection....but the last couple of hogs I've shot I drew into the brim of my hat- not good as it kind of screws me up.

I think I'm going to modify the brim like Larry D Jones used to do...cut a notch for my bowstring.

Following this one for sure. I wouldn't mind just wearing a hat backwards but wearing sunglasses messes me up too

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a camo hat that looks like an old railroad conductor hat. Bought it at a trad shoot. It has a wire brim so you can form it any way you want. It's already short enough for no string contact, but you can turn it straight up if you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Radar-type caps are pretty good, but the very short brim doesn't offer a lot of sun protection. In mild weather I wear some sort of ball cap and simply move it around when I think a shot might developing. For cool to cold conditions I wear a beanie....weight depending on temps. I shoot a recurve or longbow, but could care less about adhering to any type of trad dress code.

For very cold conditions I've worn a bomber hat with the big ear/neck flaps and short soft brim. I've sewn velcro on the top of the brim and a matching piece on the front of the crown. With one motion I can push the brim up, where it will stick and stay completely out of the way.

wytx

WKR
You can find a few short brimmed caps if you look around. Youth sized ones work for me, they usually have a little shorter brim. Military style or patrol style hats usually will work as well.
I have a wool boonie for cold weather hunting.

flytrue

FNG
I was just thinking of a better hat. For the time being I have been trimming the bill of ball caps. It works but more sun manages to get to my eyes.DSCN9033.JPG

WJS23

WKR
All I do is flip my hat around and when it’s cold out I have a beanie on, but one of those young guys that wear the snap back hats that everyone hates!

backwards ball cap or beanie for me. now while it's hot as hell I'll just wear a blaze orange headband as long as I dont have to worry about being in the sun and getting fried

LostArra

WKR
I've got a camo hat that looks like an old railroad conductor hat. Bought it at a trad shoot. It has a wire brim so you can form it any way you want. It's already short enough for no string contact, but you can turn it straight up if you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wensel style

I have a boonie made by a disabled vet that used to be on ebay. He made the brim any size you want.

Anything but a beanie has been an issue if I wear a light weight hoodie. If the hood is down then why get a hoodie? Definitely a 21st century sartorial problem.