Hats for trad?

I either run a First Lite brimmed beanie or a kuiu boonie hat. I definitely like wearing hats when I shoot and those are the two that work best for me.

Jlkunde

FNG
I just go gangster and crank it to the left about 45 degrees when things start getting western. I like it more than wearing it backwards because it still keep the sun out. It’s not a fashion show, but I just can’t wear a boonie or short billed hat.

I tilt mine back to where the sting pushes the bill back while I shoot that way I’m still wearing it forward. Or I do wear a beanie a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
Short brim "Radar" style in winter, surplus boonies, and I have a Sitka ball cap I cut down the brim. Also do the hat on backwards thing too.

First time posting here, so of all the threads to kick it off, I went for the one on hats lol!

Anyhow; I actually use a plain ball cap as my clicker of sorts. I draw back until I anchor on the side of my nose and the string touches the brim of my hat. That’s how I know I’m all set and ready to let ‘er rip.

I use a short brimmed cap from Stalker Stickbows.
703617a58b44eca8bed1879539ec0d67.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I ended up taking one of these REI explorer hats and sewing some chunks of mesh and camp strips on the center portion-

This gives me the shade...and breaks up the outline of my considerable noggin
REI Explorer

slatty

WKR
those OR hats look good, how are they for breathability when your hiking alot?

I find them to be as breathable as a non-mesh hat can get. They come in cotton and nylon so just look at what you’re getting. The nylon I find much better for breathability and more importantly drying out.

Has anyone tried the OR SWIFT SUN hat? It has a foldable brim, has mesh on the side and comes in multi-can

I have used a grey one while working. I haven't had any issues with it breathing. Nice that it doesn't hold sweat like a mesh backed baseball cap does either. At one time they had them in Multi-Cam.

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a lady on facebook making some nice looking hats with a wire bill. She offered them in like 20 different patterns and i think they are $10.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I hate having the string hit my ballcap, Im still super new to trad so its new for me and throws me off. Im gonna have to bust out the boonie hat and see if thatll sty out of the way. I tried canting like all the cool kids do but I cant seem to get to full draw without collapsing.

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Boonie cover all the time, that is my go to for shooting and shade on the neck.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Decided to just do the 180 with what I got. Don't think I can pull off a fedora. Keeps the sun off my neck.

screen.jpg

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I like just going to shoot my first arrow and hitting my hat, letting my draw down, realize i do this every day, shake my head, then turn my hat backwards... been working for years (insert eyeroll here) definitely traditional problems.. forgot about it until i switched back this year.. thinking i might go boonie for season