Haul Road August 2023

Ts1

FNG
Avid hunter here-new to forums though, looking for some advice on a DIY haul road hunt in the first half of August. For context, when I say DIY, I mean by myself--no friends would be joining me. I've lived in Alaska ~1 year, but haven't made any friends that archery hunt yet. Everyone I know is into rifles. I would be driving myself up with my reliable vehicle so I can literally bring anything with me.

1) From what I have gathered so far browsing thru forums is that I'll need to pick up a second spare tire, a cb radio for my pickup, and a bucket/sequee for cleaning. (already have basic road-side essentials like jumper cables, tow chains, spare fuel). anything else that you had that you thought was super nice to have? Or didn't have and really wished you did for your vehicle?
2) Planning on using archery equipment, but also planning on bringing a rifle in case that seems like a better option. I've successfully spotted/stalked a mule deer in Montana, but the idea of using a caribou decoy for archery is what I've been thinking about the most. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
3) I've down a fair bit of backpacking. Sounds like I might be better off hiking in and setting up camp a couple miles from the road...I'm just a little worried that once you hike in you are kind of stuck more since you can't just hop in your vehicle and drive around. Any one have really compelling reasons to have camp by the car vs hiking camp in? I have an older pull behind popup camper that has a heater. If camping by the road gives you a decent enough chance I'd consider pulling her up since she survived the Alcan I think she would do okay on the Haul--unless its much worse?

4) Is it worth bringing a pack raft? I don't have one but bet I could borrow from a friend. waders? Mine are kinda bulky and would be a pain to carry to hike with and some reports make it sound like the river isn't something you'd want to wade across anyways?

5) if anyone wants to DM any super helpful hints I'd take any info you're willing to share.

OXN939

WKR
3) I've down a fair bit of backpacking. Sounds like I might be better off hiking in and setting up camp a couple miles from the road

Sounds like you've done your homework, which is one of the biggest things. With that, I'm sure you've already read this... that place is wild and requires an extra level or two of attention to your safety plan.

Personally, I would consider the following absolute necessities, without which I wouldn't even consider doing a trip like what you're talking about up there:

-Two GPS systems
-Two satellite communications systems
-Nav plan with someone knowledgeable who will be in cell contact at all times involving predetermined check in windows that will trigger an emergency response if missed
-Ample survival gear
-Multiple emergency location marking options

Rather be at risk for sounding like an overly cautious dweeb than end up like any of the last few news stories that have come from up there.

OP
T

Ts1

FNG
I appreciate your input! I usually carry ample survival gear now (have never been accused of carrying a light pack), but the second satellite communication device is something I hadn't thought of and should be easy enough to borrow from a friend as everyone up here has one. Thank you!

bmrfish

WKR
Yes packraft (opens up country across the Sag)
No pull behind pop up (hassle outweighs benefit and it will get beat to pieces on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ts1

Nails

FNG
I lived in that area for several years. I never needed 2 spare tires, as long as you have good tires...I preferred Cooper tires.
Remember mosquito repellant and bug net. A good GPS is a must.
I wouldn't camp way off of the road, you'll want to stay somewhat mobile.
Have a good hunt.

Reactions: Ts1
OP
T

Ts1

FNG
Yes packraft (opens up country across the Sag)
No pull behind pop up (hassle outweighs benefit and it will get beat to pieces on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ended up needing the raft after I shot! Darn thing crossed half the river to an island!

OP
T

Ts1

FNG
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Ended up building a drawer system for storage under my topper and put a mattress on it for instead of bringing the little camper. Seemed to work pretty well! I did get one and did need the inflatable kayak to retrieve him.

Attachments

• DF911BA3-3A2F-443F-B5C0-5601251EF40E.jpeg
    DF911BA3-3A2F-443F-B5C0-5601251EF40E.jpeg
    787.4 KB · Views: 276

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Vern...that hat is crazy I found it randomly on a summer trip down south maybe HI or mexico hell I cannot recall. I wear them to piss off my ol' pard Mark cause he thinks I care how cool I look on the river...Gotta keep 'em guessing what the heck you're gonna pull off next eh? I've chosen some stupid "cat in the hat" stuff in the past that looked so redick I couldn't even post the pics man. silly