Haul road gps and mapping

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious what every one does for gps and mapping on haul road? Do you use on x and download bunch of maps up and down haul road or use Garmin?

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
how does one download a whole state, never seen that before
With Gaia, it's only possible at very low resolution, if at all possible, because the file size for Alaska would be dozens of gigabytes. Just download a medium or high-resolution area for your map layer of choice in boxes drawn along the haul road areas of interest.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Do just download a bunch of offline maps? Or you have target areas you are just downloading? I have done target areas before, just not a such a large stretch.
I do both. I have maps downloaded for the whole highway - from Fairbanks to Prudhoe. Then I had higher res maps downloaded for more specific areas that I want to hunt. But you never know with caribou, so they might be in an area 100 miles from where you think you're going to hunt, so you still have some maps there.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
I do both. I have maps downloaded for the whole highway - from Fairbanks to Prudhoe. Then I had higher res maps downloaded for more specific areas that I want to hunt. But you never know with caribou, so they might be in an area 100 miles from where you think you're going to hunt, so you still have some maps there.
oh boy, that’s gonna eat up some phone storage

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
oh boy, that’s gonna eat up some phone storage

Not a ton. I use an iPad and my iPhone. I have my iPad in my Argo as a GPS, and only use the iPad for that. So it’s not a big deal. I only have high def maps for the really targeted areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Not a ton. I use an iPad and my iPhone. I have my iPad in my Argo as a GPS, and only use the iPad for that. So it’s not a big deal. I only have high def maps for the really targeted areas.

Just realized I’m an idiot. I was looking at high resolution maps, only covering 10 miles at a time. Didn’t think about checking medium and low resolution.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're rifle hunting or going the 5-mile route, keep in mind the road line isn't straight. You could be 5 miles from your truck and only three miles from the road. This is one of the most common citable offenses for us rifle hunters along the Haul Rd. Enforcement will be increased this fall by road, fixed wing aircraft and heli.

One of my clients took the time to trace the road and paste it at the 5-mile corridor on his GPS, giving him a field ready view of the road line if he happened to need it quickly. Fog disorientation is a real threat on the Slope. Trust your GPS not your thoughts on whereabouts.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
If you're rifle hunting or going the 5-mile route, keep in mind the road line isn't straight. You could be 5 miles from your truck and only three miles from the road. This is one of the most common citable offenses for us rifle hunters along the Haul Rd. Enforcement will be increased this fall by road, fixed wing aircraft and heli.

One of my clients took the time to trace the road and paste it at the 5-mile corridor on his GPS, giving him a field ready view of the road line if he happened to need it quickly. Fog disorientation is a real threat on the Slope. Trust your GPS not your thoughts on whereabouts.
Much appreciated! The group I’m with plan on bow hunting but I believe one is bringing a rifle just in case. Hopefully don’t have to make that hike.

TShunts

FNG
Like most of the other folks said, downloaded larger maps for the area I wasn’t planning on hunting and then got more in depth closer to the hunt areas. Worked great!! Also you will have cell service in Deadhorse. Was able to FaceTime my little guy on top of the world. Enjoy your trip!!!

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Like most of the other folks said, downloaded larger maps for the area I wasn’t planning on hunting and then got more in depth closer to the hunt areas. Worked great!! Also you will have cell service in Deadhorse. Was able to FaceTime my little guy on top of the world. Enjoy your trip!!!

All the pump stations have cell service as well. It’s nice if you forget to download one of the maps, you can stop by one and download one.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
OnX and offline maps here. Atlas under the back seat if need be.