Haul road hunt.

Ok guys and gals i have pretty much read every writeup on doing the haul road. I plan to do the hunt this fall after my season of guiding salmon ends on the Yenta river. I plan to be driving my 2003 E-350 dually bus conversion 2wd. I will have a full set of chains with incase i run into any snow. I plan to be hunting by the second week of September ??? From what i have gathers thats a good time frame. Plan to hunt all the way to the bay or where ever i end up tagging. Bringing my bow as my main but will have my rifle and gear if i choice to make the death march. I will have a pack raft to cross the sage with. Anyone every pack raft into the sage and raft down it hunt for a day or two on the way then pack back out? Time is not an issue will pretty much have as much time as i need. What tips and tricks do the Veterans haul roaders have for a guy beside be ready to shoot far and hike hard!

Attachments

• IMG-3695.jpg
    IMG-3695.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 56

GLB

WKR
That’s quite the trip. I have been up the haul road 5 times and was just there Sept 2019. The road is certainly better than my first trip in 1989 but is still a little on the rough side.

You can expect to get into some winter conditions that time of year and I would not want to have to rely on chains to deal with that, especially coming down the pass.

Take emergency and medical equipment and know how to use it. Be prepare to fix flats or two and I would have a few tools to do some repairs if needed.

As far a Caribou I have been there when there was so many coming over the pass that it looked like the mountain was moving. Also been there when we saw maybe a dozen in 8 days.

Good luck and I hope you get a nice bull.

OP
martensmax
That’s quite the trip. I have been up the haul road 5 times and was just there Sept 2019. The road is certainly better than my first trip in 1989 but is still a little on the rough side.

You can expect to get into some winter conditions that time of year and I would not want to have to rely on chains to deal with that, especially coming down the pass.

Take emergency and medical equipment and know how to use it. Be prepare to fix flats or two and I would have a few tools to do some repairs if needed.

As far a Caribou I have been there when there was so many coming over the pass that it looked like the mountain was moving. Also been there when we saw maybe a dozen in 8 days.

Good luck and I hope you get a nice bull.
Do you think that its not a wise idea to venture that late in the year in the 2wd dually?

Once my son is old enough, I want to take a roadtrip from CO all the way up there. He'll either hate me for taking him there or hate me for coming back down to the lower 48.

OP
martensmax
Do you guys think its to late in the season to try an hunt the last 12 days if i had a 4 wheel drive truck?

22lr

WKR
For what its worth, I've driven the road as far as the Arctic Circle sign this last Sept in a 32ft Class C. Didnt go further as it was slow going and the whole camper was shaking pretty good if I got it much above 45mph. A truck is gonna give you more peace of mind about winter conditions and let you travel alot faster without shaking the box off that van. Should cut your drive time significantly.

My son and two of his buddies did it in a fwd minivan, all the way to Prudhoe Bay last August. It’s totally doable, but not really advisable later in the year with a 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowMan86

FNG
Do you think that its not a wise idea to venture that late in the year in the 2wd dually?
I went up the 1st week of Sept and there wasn’t any snow at all going through the pass. On the way back everything was covered in snow and the road was pretty slick. Hard to say what you would run into but I would maybe save the 2wd for Aug.