Haul Road questions

glass eye

FNG
Planning a trip for next year 2021 assuming Canada will be open I plan to drive there. I do a lot of diy hunts with my own gear and mostly travel by air so I got the weight and size of gear down. My question is: What would you suggest taking in addition to a couple of spare tires and gas can ? Also, I plan on hunting the last 20 days of non-resident season. What would road conditions most likely be like around Sep 15. Doable in a 2wd ?

The road is no worse (and probably better) than others in Alaska. If your tires are in good shape, one spare should be plenty. Hard to say about 2wd because it's always possible that there will be a foot of snow that time of year. The extra gas is nice because it keeps you from driving to Deadhorse as often.

One thing we learned is that the spare under the truck will be covered in a terrible road mud that will make the job of changing a tire much worse. Maybe a second one in the bed would have been the way to go. They will patch a tire in Coldfoot.

mooster

WKR
One thing we learned is that the spare under the truck will be covered in a terrible road mud that will make the job of changing a tire much worse. Maybe a second one in the bed would have been the way to go. They will patch a tire in Coldfoot.
Exactly our experience in September!

With a little common sense the Haul Rd is a breeze. Pull over for oncoming Semi's and those coming from behind you. GOOD tires and you should not have a flat. While driving, I focus about 50 yards in front of my truck so that I can miss the axle grabber pot holes, seems to work well. Take your time. The caribou hunting is harder than the drive.

mooster

WKR
With a little common sense the Haul Rd is a breeze. Pull over for oncoming Semi's and those coming from behind you. GOOD tires and you should not have a flat. While driving, I focus about 50 yards in front of my truck so that I can miss the axle grabber pot holes, seems to work well. Take your time. The caribou hunting is harder than the drive.
Glad your lucky. I drove as you said. Flatted 3k mile old tire. Sometimes crap happens.

10 Ply, D or E Rated Tires are what I have on my truck. I've done north of 50 trips up the Haul Rd in the past 4-5 years, haven't had a single flat tire. I guess it must be luck!

Broomd

WKR
10 Ply, D or E Rated Tires are what I have on my truck. I've done north of 50 trips up the Haul Rd in the past 4-5 years, haven't had a single flat tire. I guess it must be luck!
Was going to share the same thing. "E" 10 ply ties are a must.

Last edited: