Hauling kids

zacattack

WKR
Is there a kid carrier that will attach to a Kifaru frame or something that works well? My son is 2 months at the moment and hoping that soon he’ll be going along on hikes

tdot

WKR
I'd recommend one of those infant carriers that strap tight to your back for the first 6-10 months. It takes them quite awhile before they are strong enough to hold themselves up properly.

I strapped an Osprey kid carrier to my Kifaru frame when the first one was about 6 weeks old. The first one didn't get into that Osprey until about a year old, cuz the infant carrier was so damn easy and comfortable for both of us.

The Gatekeeper straps from Seek Outside made for a very stable and fast connection between the Kifaru frame and the Osprey.

Anozira

WKR
Just picked up an osprey from CL also. I'm waiting impatiently until she can hold her head up enough to take her on her first "adventure". Coming from Kifaru packs, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the osprey poco is built but can see why people supplement a kifaru frame.

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
I had a Deuter Kid Comfort 3 that I used for a couple of years. It was comfortable on my back and had room to carry some extras. The hood was nice. My daughter almost always fell asleep in it. I recently passed it on to a friend and his son sleeps in it, too.

lak2004

WKR
I was recently wondering about this with my Exo pack. My son is only 1 month old, but never too early to buy some new gear to take him on hikes. Right now either my wife or I carry him in a sling on hikes and walks. My BIL just got the Osprey Poco for my 10 month old nephew, it seemed comfortable for both of them the other day on a short hike. I was wondering if I could just swaddle my son and put him in the load crib strapped so he is facing out, can breathe and be secure. I'll test it out and let you all know how it works.

circles

FNG
When my kids were small it never occurred to me to look for something I could attach to my Kifaru frame. I put more than a few miles on a series of Deuter kid haulers, They worked quite well. Craigslist is your friend.

sndmn11

WKR
I grabbed a Deuter off Craigslist for a song. The belt and should straps come off by design, and then I just strapped it toy Seek Outside frame. Super easy, the kid loves it, I love it, and it makes spending more time outdoors a no brainer. We try to make a run through the 3d course at least once a week. If I add an extra water bladder it hits 60lbs total.
IMG_20200620_130231.jpg34299.jpegreceived_296114941427570.jpeg

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Deuter Kid Comfort 3 that I used for a couple of years. It was comfortable on my back and had room to carry some extras. The hood was nice. My daughter almost always fell asleep in it. I recently passed it on to a friend and his son sleeps in it, too.
I have one of these and love it. My daughter is 2 and about 25lb and really comfy to run around in this

92xj

WKR

brsnow

WKR
Make sure you do a special ruck training in order to survive. When the kid sleeps the weight gets heavier:)

Make sure you do a special ruck training in order to survive. When the kid sleeps the weight gets heavier:)
So true! And trying to keep them from bouncing around is definitely a core workout.

I’ve been hiking and fishing with my kids for years in the osprey and deuter models. I prefer the deuter if elevation is on the menu. It keeps the weight in the middle of my back better than the Osprey.