Hauling meat on mules

Mike 338

WKR
Another guy I think might be good is Warwick Schiller. I think he offers stuff through video library. Everything I've heard out of his mouth is dead-on.

When I had dogs, I went to the public library and checked out a book on "how to train your dog". I read it and did it. The result was that I had the best trained dog of all the folks I came into contact with. It wasn't that I was a good trainer or my dog was smart. It was that I followed the process and wasn't to proud to think I was born with some genetic code that gave me some special inborn knowledge of dogs and training. I just read it and did it and not much more. Turns out that almost nobody is actually willing to invest a small amount of time into seeking/finding/incorporating real help. Instead they seek and find free and easy advice that doesn't require more than a weekend to implement. It may or may not improve some behavior but the critter still isn't "good".

A horse is a big strong animal and you'll never out muscle one. A ringy horse can hurt both you and itself. My advice is, don't get behavior modification advice from knuckleheads who think just because they feed a horse and haven't been killed yet, that they know horse behavior inside and out. Get your advice from somebody who works with many hundreds, every day for years. Also, he/she must also be able to have the knack to teach what they know to others. No doubt, if they've managed to not get to busted up, they have a system they use that works well and has been proven over many different animals and issues. That doesn't mean free advice isn't good advice but how do you know? Once you acquire and implement a program, you'll know how a horse learns and how to teach and you'll be able to tailor your training to your specific needs and what you think your animal needs to learn because there's no way a single Program can address everything you'll ever need.

I had a long reply typed up but its a complex topic that could end up with someone being hurt.
Soooo instead....
Try and find a mentor, or go to a clinic or at least get good videos/books, not us keyboard warriors. No offence meant to any previous posters, as I didn't read any replies.
What I will say. Build trust and don't betray it.

Brooks

WKR
This isn’t a mule but it is a GREEN 3 year old Colt that we are breaking to ride, pack and be able to stay in rough country for multiple days at a time. His first trip off the property was Saturday and he is doing great. We crossed a river with him after a little coaxing and bringing my horse back for him, he crossed it 4times, we stayed off trail and in the forest most all day up the side of a canyon and down the other side the 10 year old gilding I was on gave him tons of confidence!! This week I’m going to start putting panniers loaded with a couple bags of salt on him and let him start getting used to it. Later in the year I will put a dead animal on him .
The best advise I can give you is if your mule isn’t a good, calm easy going mule that seems to be ok with just about anything I would get rid of him and get one that is right from the start. My granddaughter rode him in a hackamore, he hasn’t been rode in a bit yet. He put in 14 miles of mountain riding and did great. He’s showing all the signs of becoming a good pack horse. Keep us updated on your mule and good luck.542E9822-678D-4D42-9F82-80C2CA773E87.jpeg86D664ED-DC13-4DF9-A5B1-CD26F53C9B15.jpeg

Brooks

WKR
Here’s what you want....
Waiting to drop off into a canyon to load a bull elk and a little later.... all packed up and heading to the truck.7701900F-0246-4F9F-8FC0-A9F2975B443C.jpegA9AB6193-C45D-457A-A979-F03E8C659AD5.jpeg

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Start em on it young. The sorrel filly in the photo has been eating around elk and deer capes since she was weaned, the bay colt with the antelope cape is 2 and could care less. Starting them on it years before they need to actually carry it is helpful, but I know this isn’t always possible. That little sorrel filly in the photo helped pack 2 bulls last fall as a 3 year old with no real issue. I do keep the children’s vapor rub just in case...a horses nose is sensitive and there is no need to cram their nostrils full of the adult strength shit.

Attachments

• 811DDAB1-F618-4D50-9E9D-805EBDC2B0F0.jpeg
    811DDAB1-F618-4D50-9E9D-805EBDC2B0F0.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 663064DF-8C36-4CD4-945A-EC09A9B123DB.jpeg
    663064DF-8C36-4CD4-945A-EC09A9B123DB.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 17

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also, it’s kind of a dirty trick, but I’ll put them in the trailer, lock everything up, open the manger window, and put some fresh bagged scrap meat on the manger for the ride to trailhead 3 inches from their noses. Point is, make em use to it.