Hauling meat out

Tpmahler1

FNG
Looking into maybe some sort of animal to help with solo trips. So far I like llamas the best. Any thoughts on goats,llamas or otherwise that work best for solo?

Check out the Backcountry Stock Forum. Tons of information and perspectives there. The short answer is there is no easy answer and it hinges on what your goals are. Some things to consider... what do you have to move animals? Do you have experience with handling animals? Rent vs. Own? Where do you live? and so forth

OP
T

Tpmahler1

FNG
Check out the Backcountry Stock Forum. Tons of information and perspectives there. The short answer is there is no easy answer and it hinges on what your goals are. Some things to consider... what do you have to move animals? Do you have experience with handling animals? Rent vs. Own? Where do you live? and so forth
I appreciate the feedback and will check it out. Thank you!

OP
T

Tpmahler1

FNG
I appreciate the feedback and will check it out. Thank you!
I live in the Midwest. I would probably just own because it seems knowing the animals would be more beneficial than some you aren’t familiar with behavior etc. i would be buying a trailer to haul them out and use would be to help haul a more comfortable camp in and meat out. Plus a little early bear detection would be nice

I live in the Midwest. I would probably just own because it seems knowing the animals would be more beneficial than some you aren’t familiar with behavior etc. i would be buying a trailer to haul them out and use would be to help haul a more comfortable camp in and meat out. Plus a little early bear detection would be nice
For what it's worth, if I was you I probably would not buy. I'd rent. Coming from the midwest and using stock just a couple times a year, it would pencil out waaay in your favor to just rent them here. Particularly if you don't come from a very strong horesemanship background (I don't). You'd be getting animals that are acclimated to the climate and elevation you are hunting, and if they have been used much as rentals (I wouldn't rent any that weren't) they will be in tip top shape and pretty darn easy to use.

For what it would cost for a trailer and extra fuel to haul it, you could have several years of rentals. To say nothing of shoeing and feeding them.