Havalon blade replacement question

Hac

FNG
This year was the first time using a havalon. I was fortunate to harvest a small couse deer and using the havalon to field dress and it was a snap. I recently helped a buddies son on an elk hunt. Had to replace blades a couple time and everytime I was kinda nervous. I know the package says to use some pliers or needle nose, but that's just extra stuff to carry in the field. Anyone have any pointers on replacing the blades. Thanks in advance

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hold the blade with my right hand, sharp edge facing away. Left hand holds the knife and I lift the back of the blade for removal and pull.

I preload the blade “most of the way”, then hold the knife the same as mentioned above for the final click-back-in-to-place.

Basically, my fingers never cross the sharp edge side. I’ve never been cut loading-unloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hac

Hac

FNG
That's basically what I have been doing, just thought I ask if there was a trick thanks for the response @Howard Mee

Jethro

WKR
Havalon makes a little plastic tool so the blades aren’t in your hands. I don’t have a piranta, but have seen the tool used.

wapitibob

WKR
I hold the blade with my right hand, sharp edge facing away. Left hand holds the knife and I lift the back of the blade for removal and pull.

I preload the blade “most of the way”, then hold the knife the same as mentioned above for the final click-back-in-to-place.

Basically, my fingers never cross the sharp edge side. I’ve never been cut loading-unloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this right here ^^
I usually use my left hand thumb nail under the edge to lift the blade for removal.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a tiny tiny set of pliers weighs 2oz …as you know these babies are sharp and don’t want to make one mistake…love the knife but requires 110% focus with it🤙

CorbLand

WKR
Get a small pair of pliers that weighs next to nothing. It may be one more things to carry but if you arent careful putting a blade on or off, you may be cutting weight by losing a finger.

cnelk

WKR
I only peel back the foil enough to expose the attached slot.

The folded back foil gives a little more protection from the edge.

Attach the blade and remove the foil.

Then, I put the used/broken blade back in the foil wrapper and put it in a small compartment in my pack.

Like others here, I carry pliers in the case with the knife and up to 10 replacement blades. It all fits in the case and the case still snaps shut.

OP
Hac

Hac

FNG
I'm going to invest in some small pliers. Replacing a blade for the first time was kinda iffy and don't want an accident in the field, I have the Havalon Hydra so a small set of pliers will fit in the case thanks for talking me in to getting some

Troutnut

FNG
I use a tiny multitool (Leatherman Squirt) to change blades on my Havalon Piranta. I also switched to slightly heavier blades and didn't have a single break this year cutting up my elk, unlike last year when I had a couple breaks doing a mule deer.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You guys are making it harder than it needs to be. To remove the blade just snap it off on something. It usually snaps off right at the Edge of the slot. Then the back of it slides right out. When you put the new blade in get it started and then push the point up against something hard like a tree and push it into place. Easy Peezy and keep your fingers away from the sharp edges!

dtrkyman

WKR
I do as stated above, only open the foil part way and install. Make sure to clean it well when done getting a blade off if not cleaned properly can be a problem.

MattB

WKR
this right here ^^
I usually use my left hand thumb nail under the edge to lift the blade for removal.
I use the tip of the nail on my left index finger behind the sharpened portion, but similar method.