Havalon blade replacement question

SWOHTR

WKR
In 20 years I really have to wonder if we’ll be looking back thinking, “damn, that was NOT the smartest idea for a tool.”

jmez

WKR
Do with your fingers enough, it's only a matter of time.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
I use a multi tool and break the blade in half and then clean the attachment area and install blade with multi tool. Dispose of broken blade in an empty beer can. I’ve installed the blade with my fingers but won’t do it again.

Step on the blade to snap it in half then use the bottom of your pant leg to grab the broken piece and pop it off

I’ve never had an issue removing and installing new blades. I prefer and mostly use a fixed blade knife and a small steel. As a commercial butcher I can see a lot of bad things happening with a Havalon. LOL!

Netherman

WKR
Very carefully seems to be the theme. Only thing I'll add is to make sure the new blade fully snaps in. I learned this the hard way on an elk this year when the blade popped off. Luckily I was going gutless and just put it back on. Would have sucked if it happened in the body cavity.

I carry a Leatherman Wave in my knife pouch, so I just use the pliers to remove the blade. I have been using the Piranta for 9 years now and haven't cut myself, but I do think the removal process can be dangerous if there's gunk at the base of the blade or you don't have pliers. It's a great having a scalpel though, and I actually just bought a backup Piranta from a user on this forum.

Reactions: Hac

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon blade removal tool is your friend. And you don't have to worry about finding an empty can or water bottle to put the old one in.

WCB

WKR
I didn't know guys go into the field without a Multi Tool...but I just use my fingers like Howard.

Bighorner

WKR
I get the back part of the blade up over the retainer, you can do this with almost anything, but I use my thumb pushing slightly away from the blade. Then put the sharp part on a stump or dead fall, step on the blade and pull the handle away. To put one on I do the foil trick to get it started then just lightly push the tip into the stump or deadfall till it clicks.

I rub the blade against a rock or similar to dull it. Then I remove it. I keep the new blade half in the foil while I install and then put the old blade in the foil and into the sheath.

My biggest worry is always the handling and disposal of the removed blade. So I dull them before removal.

I pretty well just use my havalon for caping. Was a pretty short fad in my hunting camp. We’re all back to standard knife styles now.

Reactions: Hac