Havalon hydra

Shrek

WKR
Looks like a good idea. I have both the Piranta and the Baracuta. The Baracuta hunter blade will really go to town on an animal and I kept my Piranta and put #22 blades in it for caping. Combining them makes good sense.

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I was thinking just didnt know if its worth the penalty and price difference. For someone like you that carries both, it's a no brainer. I guess the defining factor is the usefulness of the barracuda.

Shrek

WKR
If you want a knife to go to town with the Baracuta is the bomb but if you like to play with fragile toys then the Piranta is for you ;). I used the Piranta on one animal and swore never again. Broke a couple of blades and the cuts had to be baby cuts. Baracuta will cut up a big hog in a jiffy and if you have never cut up a hog I'll tell you that they are tough cutting. Cuts through elk like it's warm butter. I highly recommend the Baracuta.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good info there. I've butchered my share of critters, hogs too, and I can't say that I like having to baby things but I don't really like toting my trusty buck 5 miles back and around the mountains either so was really hoping this would be the solution.

slim9300

WKR
I have done a ton of elk with the Piranta and I'm sure I broke them down faster than most. If you are breaking blades you are doing things wrong. I always carried a fixed blade for any task involving bone/joints, but this year I picked up the Titan. The only problem I had was the replaceable blades getting bound with silver skin from the backside and pulling off (not breaking). And the fixed blade comes SHARP.

Havalon sent me a new knife to see if it would solve the problem. I feel like the blades are not locking on like they should. I guess we will see. There is lots more to kill this season!
539dc307ab3d8b30255ef62debc5c538.jpg

16Bore

WKR
I was hot to try one, then realized it's huge. Screw that. I swear, if Gerber or Leatherman would ever get their head out of their asses and put a 62A blade stud on a multi-tool with a regular blade and saw I'd be a happy mofo....