Havalon, Part 13

Which One?

• Piranta

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Baracuta

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
I thought that maybe I could be satisfied with the smaller unit. But, I like big knives and figured I would start a poll for an opinion.

I like smaller knives. I have both of the above knives. But seem to always use the smaller piranta for all my butchering/hunting needs

slim9300

WKR
I like the baracuda better, thicker blades.

I have a piranta but I just ordered a baracuda to see what it's like. I like the piranta quite a bit but the blades are pretty flimsy so I always carry a solid Gerber Gator with a small guthook.

Havalon needs to make a gut hook "blade" that attaches to the baracuda frame. That would be nice to have since I can never get my guthook sharp enough on my own.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It is hard to imagine the Barracuda improving on the Piranta, but I will give it a shot this year to see anyway.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I break too many blades on the piranta... Gonna try a baracuta...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
hope to try the baracuda this fall on some moose and see how the thicker blade works for me.

Was able to make it 1 moose and 2 caribou on a single blade, just to see, but it was duller than crap by the end :D

Last edited:

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
hope to try the baracuda this fall on some moose and see how the thicker blade works for me.

Was able to make it 1 moose and 2 caribou on a single blade, just to see, but it was duller than crap by the end :D

I think I got through about 1/4 of an elk before I broke my first blade... It got worse after that! LOL

luke moffat

Super Moderator
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Freestyle_CX

I notice a lot of you guys that use Havalons carry a pocket knife for general camp work. Anyone use these lightweight combos? I have this hangup with my Wave tool so this might consolidate my multi-tool and big-o knife.

I have carried a Leatherman wave in the past, but I am gonna try a similar one:

http://www.rei.com/product/809076/leatherman-skeletool-multi-tool

This fall to save some weight as all I really need are the pliers and a good stout knife for working the joints.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have only used the piranta and love it. I don't carry any other knife when hunting/backpacking. I have had no trouble breaking blades while boning and skinning bears, deer and elk.

6x6

FNG
Piranta for me too. I did break one blade last year when I was about 3/4 through my elk, but replacing the blades is so easy, it really was no big deal. Also got the orange one to keep track of easier, which for me, is great. I'm extremely good at misplacing things sometimes.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this to another Havalon thread but thought I shoud post it here in case anyone is looking.

I bought the Havalon Tracer-22. It's basically the same design as the piranta but it can use the 22 blades as well as the 60's. I prefer the 22 vs the 60 as I tend to poke holes in the cape more often with the 60 and my taxi is a very good friend, good enough that I get a the "what the hell?" speech for too many holes. We broke down 6-7 caribou with them then fleshed out the capes. Last year we broke down a cow elk with one blade and still had it sharp enough to accidentally cut my buddy's finger with it when we were done. The tracer just seems more versatile to me with a wider range of blades for different situations instead of only the 60's in the piranta.
Here is a description of the Tracer 22 off of Havalon's site:
The Havalon Piranta Tracer-22 fits the #22 surgical blade, the most popular blade used by professional taxidermists. As an added bonus, the Piranta Tracer-22 fits all of the blades in the 20 thru 25 range blades, plus our #60XT

Also the 22 blades can be changed without cutting yourself because the edge doesn't run all the way down to the handle as it does on the 60.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW- the they are making a new Piranta with a wider groove to fit the thicker blade of the #60A... Same thickness as the Baracuta blades I believe....

"The Piranta-Torch features the newly-designed #60A blade which is 20% thicker and stronger than the standard #60XT blade while still delivering the famous Havalon "crazy-sharp" surgical edge. "

Last edited: