Havalon piranha vs torch.

I already have a piranta, is it worth getting a torch to use the thicker blades? Should a guy carry both?Purpose: Big game field dressing, skinning, and deboning.

I would not upgrade if you already have the piranta. I use a single 60 piranta blade to quarter and skin out moose.If you find yourself breaking the regular blades your doing something wrong. Slow down and cut, don't try to pry joints apart.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
If you do a search for "Havalon" you'll find a short review I did a couple weeks ago. I bought the Bolt and gave my Edge to my dad. The Bolt and Torch should work with the same variety of blades. My Bolt and Edge both worked with 60A, 60XT, and 22 blades. If you want to use the thicker blades (60A), you might want to just buy some and try it on your Piranta (Edge?). They go on a little hard, but they fit on my Edge. If you don't mind a shorter blade (1.5" I think), try the #22 stainless steel blades. I like them and they are pretty cheap. The Bolt, one Torch, and a couple other knives are on sale this weekend on Havalon's website. S&H charges are little high. Use the $5 coupon on their site.

Whisky

WKR
I have a problem with breaking the thinner blades. I snapped two doing a damn antelope for heavens sakes. I bought the Bolt. I like it better than the Edge for two reasons. Obvious, thicker blades. But also, the bigger handle on the Bolt feels better in my hands than the Edge. I still have two Edges, and will keep them. They make awesome kitchen knives, and work very well for cleaning birds.

I wouldn't carry both.

Yeah I seem to break a blade or so per animal on my Edge but always just carry 5 or so blades so it isn't a big deal. If I was buying new though I would definitely get the Bolt as the 60a blades should be a lot better.

Kotaman

WKR
I have 3 Piranta's and just ordered a "torch". Liked the looks of it and can't wait to try the thicker blades.

bbrown

WKR
I would stick with the Piranta if you already have one - if starting from scratch it might be worth going with the Torch. I have cut up a bunch of animals with the Piranta and the first few I went thru a bunch of blades but quickly learned what I could get away with.

One the other hand, breaking the blade intentionally is a great way to change the blade out when the time comes. Then only open the new blade package up half way so you can grip the new blade with the package to install it.