Have I been wearing shoes wrong?

Not sure if my feet have been growing, getting wider, or if I'm just more fragile but I'm in need of some change in footwear- and after some research I think I may have been wearing shoes/boots incorrectly my whole life. How do you guys fit your shoes regarding length in the toe-box? I've always worn a 9 1/2, and (perhaps incorrectly) assumed I was supposed to have my toes at the end of the shoe but not quite touching. Now I'm seeing that people recommend half an inch of room past the toes? My feet are about 10.5-10.75 inches which should put me in size 9.5-10 territory? I previously wore a 9.5 prior which made my toes secure in the toe-box (sides of foot contacting sides of toe box) but if I add 1/2 that would bump me up to about a size 11.5 or more? I'm afraid my forefoot will be swimming in a larger shoe. Any suggestions?

Superdoo

WKR
Where what works for you. My work boots have the extra length in them. My hunting boots don’t.

OP
Ferrulewax
Where what works for you. My work boots have the extra length in them. My hunting boots don’t.
Snug was working until recently- like I said, I think I grew a bit. But I worried about foot swelling/expansion with a heavy pack/long trip. My problem area has always been blisters between toes

92xj

WKR
In hunting/mountain boots, I always wear a 1/2 size larger than my tennis shoes except for zamberlans, those are bought at the same size as my shoes.

Coldtrail

WKR
I go up 1/2 size on anything I'm going to stacking miles on. Word to the wise, don't neglect socks....crappy socks make the best boots crappy too

TxxAgg

WKR
I wear 10.5 in dress shoes or cowboy boots but I wear 11.5 in running shoes and hiking boots. I like a big wide toe box.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear 13's in all shoe types from dress shoes to basketball shoes to hunting boots. My toes are just off the fronts for all. Too much room and my feet will be sliding all over in the shoes or boots, regardless how I lace them.

schmalzy

WKR
I wear 10.5 in dress shoes or cowboy boots but I wear 11.5 in running shoes and hiking boots. I like a big wide toe box.

This works for me too. 12s in dressier shoes or slip on boots and 13s in running shoes and hunting boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too go up a 1/2 size and wear thicker Darn Tough socks...sometimes add Superfeet insoles too. Proper lacing technique is HUGE!

I always have room in the toe box when I feel a boot fits right. I had a kenetrek rep measure my feet and he handed me a size 10. I always wear a 12. I got my foot into the 10 but it was way too tight. I left with a new pair of 12s.

peterk123

WKR
I have very skinny ankles so if I go for extra room up front i can't lock in my heel. So for me it is a fine line. I shoot for my big toe barely touching in the downhill.

Shraggs

WKR
Your arch falls with age and foot will lengthen. It could be happening to you.

I get my size or 1/2 bigger as well. Play with sock thickness and insole for perfect fit. I trust a good boot design to prevent toes going forward and hitting. But my feet expand with miles and the extra room is vital to not get to pain.

Shraggs

WKR
Damn 5 miles, lucky! Just pointing out adults can have they’re arch fall which can lengthen size. Just feet mind you

OP
Ferrulewax
I have very skinny ankles so if I go for extra room up front i can't lock in my heel. So for me it is a fine line. I shoot for my big toe barely touching in the downhill.
I’m in this boat as well- low volume feet and small ankles. I have to max out the strings on some boots, and need laces down to the toes.