• Gold tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easton 4mm Axis

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimbob

WKR
Last year I used Axis 260 with brass inserts, ethics collar and a 100 grain head, bows was set at 75 lbs. The arrows worked great on a mountain goat.

This year I dropped to 70 lbs and went with an Axis 300 with a standard insert and 125-grain head. I saved the cost of the collar and the brass insert and I still have an arrow that spines to my bow with great specs. 475 grain total weight with 11.5% foc.

nphunter

WKR
Is this the same as the Iron Will Reinforced HIT system on their website? With the .166 inner diameter selected?

Would you go with the IW HIT system over the factory insert (Easton) for a .204 ID arrow?

I've used both and am currently building arrows with IW components. I'm shooting Victory RIP TKO's .204 arrows so I have to buy inserts either way. I also wanted a 500gr arrow so that put me using 100gr inserts and 25gr collars with 100gr heads. If your using the 4mm it really just depends on what you want for weight, they are both stainless steel and probably are similar in durability, I personally think some of the longer 50gr + inserts with IW collars would be great on 4mm arrows.

Bunchit

FNG
I put the IW 100 gr d6 inserts in the new sirius orion shafts, topped with 45 gr ethics footer and will run IW single bevel!
Next shafts will be the new axis 4 mm and ethics/IW components!

ia bhtr

FNG
This past hunting season I wanted to switch things up from my standard diam carbons , went to 5MM Axis with 50 grain brass HIT inserts ( broke them down from the 75 grn they started to be ) , collar and 125 grain Viper Tricks , ended up with a 470 grn arrow that tuned and shot beautifully

Actually setting them up for this years elk hunt , used them on 4 deer last season as a test run for my elk trip , 80 grains heavier than my previous hunting arrow , smaller .204 diam = complete pass thrus on all 4 deer altho all shots were under 30 yards

overall impression , extremely good hunting arrow and on top of that using 17/ 64ths screw in field tips did not have the difficulties in targets that others have stated having with outserts

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input from everyone. After a lot of research and reading I ended up getting the 5mm axis (didn't list them initially b/c I didn't realize I could get them in the spine I was looking for). It seems that the 5mm will be a good middle diameter between standard and micro. Plenty of components should be available and I am excited to try a smaller diameter arrow than what I have always shot.

I also went ahead and ordered the Iron Will insert and collar. These together will equal 25 grains and I plan to use a 125 grain head, assuming it will tune just fine. Total my arrow should be around 520 grains. This will be roughly 100 grains heavier than what I have been shooting so I am excited to see how it works out for me.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have been using the Victory RIP Elite (.204 Diameter) for a long time, thought I would change it up last year and purchased the Victory VAP Elite (.166 Diameter) I used the Victory components, what a mistake waist of money. I didn't want to sell the arrows so I purchased the Valkyrie components along with their field points and Jager Broadheads. I feel the Valkyrie components are heads and shoulders above anything else out on the market for "Micro Diameter" arrows. With all that said once these Victory VAP with the Valkyrie components or lost or broken I will not be going back to "Micro Diameter" arrow. I think the .204 diameter arrow are the best way to go with either the Iron Will or Easton HIT insert

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with your Axis arrows...I think they’ll do well for you. Really, many of the arrows mentioned here are going to be a solid choice once dialed in with your setup. I’m currently shooting the GT Pierce Platinums and like the penetration with the micro diameter...both of my hunting buddies swear by the Easton FMJ.

406unltd

WKR
I liked easton when I shot them. Gold tip was awesome and I really liked them. Black eagle ximpact 250 wasn’t durable at all for me. Victory has been great thus far, and is as straight as Easton was for me if not better.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Just for fun I’m going to share what I ended up with. I ordered the Axis 5mm match grade. 260 spine. They are 29” long with a 4 AAE max hunter fletchings. I got some iron will HIT inserts and IW collars (25 grains total) with a 125 grain head for a total of 150 grains up front. This makes my total arrow weight at around 520 grains. My bow is shooting them at 250 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rootacres

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate to go down the 4mm road. Iron Will and Ethics Archery (among others) have some excellent component options. I had some 4mm carbon Injexions that were the best hunting arrow Ive used. Now shooting 80# the 330 spine is really getting pushed. I ended up ordering some Gold Tip Pierce Platinums, mostly because the GPI for a 250 spine worked well for me and finding Victorys in a 250 spine is a nightmare right now. I ordered in some ethics archery footers and points to try out.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
My GT Pierce Platinums are the 300 series getting 263 FPS with 100 grain points; 29” draw/65lbs with Hoyt Carbon RX4 Ultra

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't hesitate to go down the 4mm road. Iron Will and Ethics Archery (among others) have some excellent component options. I had some 4mm carbon Injexions that were the best hunting arrow Ive used. Now shooting 80# the 330 spine is really getting pushed. I ended up ordering some Gold Tip Pierce Platinums, mostly because the GPI for a 250 spine worked well for me and finding Victorys in a 250 spine is a nightmare right now. I ordered in some ethics archery footers and points to try out.

I’ll have to try some 4mm arrows out on my next set

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
My GT Pierce Platinums are the 300 series getting 263 FPS with 100 grain points; 29” draw/65lbs with Hoyt Carbon RX4 Ultra

Nice. Do you know what your total arrow weight is?

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
~448 grains all in on my arrow setup
Sounds similar to the gold tips I was shooting before I got my new arrows. They were XT Hunter 300 spine with 100 grain points. I plan to keep a few just in case I decide to use them for a specific purpose.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds similar to the gold tips I was shooting before I got my new arrows. They were XT Hunter 300 spine with 100 grain points. I plan to keep a few just in case I decide to use them for a specific purpose.
Yeah; the XT Hunters are a nice arrow too. Even though the Platinums are a micro diameter, the weight goes up with the tapered collars to fit the tips and knocks. I’m good with the increased weight, as I use them for hunting. I’m getting really good penetration with them.
Ironically, they’re weighing in the same as my buddy’s FMJ’s (although he’s shooting 340’s and a 1” shorter draw length @ 63lbs on a Mathews 27” V3). Both have the same penetration depth on targets when we’ve shot together.
I did get full pass through on a pig hunt in TX at 35 yds with a shot at a 125lb pig that was facing me-essentially skewered him front/rear with no damage to my arrow using a 100 gr Muzzy MX-3 broadhead (I couldn’t wait for him to turn broadside with the shifting wind). Also stuck a tree on a follow up insurance shot on another pig as he was running and stopped between two trees. Was able to recover the arrow unscathed, but the broadhead was buried. Overall, I’m pleased with the durability, penetration, and overall performance I’m seeing with them.
I was shooting Carbon Express Maxima Reds with my old bow. Didn’t have any issue with these either-solid performers.
82549A49-F2A2-428D-9858-5F0A33E67229.jpeg

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah; the XT Hunters are a nice arrow too. Even though the Platinums are a micro diameter, the weight goes up with the tapered collars to fit the tips and knocks. I’m good with the increased weight, as I use them for hunting. I’m getting really good penetration with them.
Ironically, they’re weighing in the same as my buddy’s FMJ’s (although he’s shooting 340’s and a 1” shorter draw length @ 63lbs on a Mathews 27” V3). Both have the same penetration depth on targets when we’ve shot together.
I did get full pass through on a pig hunt in TX at 35 yds with a shot at a 125lb pig that was facing me-essentially skewered him front/rear with no damage to my arrow using a 100 gr Muzzy MX-3 broadhead (I couldn’t wait for him to turn broadside with the shifting wind). Also stuck a tree on a follow up insurance shot on another pig as he was running and stopped between two trees. Was able to recover the arrow unscathed, but the broadhead was buried. Overall, I’m pleased with the durability, penetration, and overall performance I’m seeing with them.
I was shooting Carbon Express Maxima Reds with my old bow. Didn’t have any issue with these either-solid performers.
View attachment 278018
That first shot on the pig sounds like it was one heck of a shot! That's impressive.

Wolfmann

FNG
I have had good luck with Gold Tip. I've been tempted to switch to Easton since they are American made.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good luck with Gold Tip. I've been tempted to switch to Easton since they are American made.
Gold Tip is just about the only arrow I've ever shot so I'm just trying something different. I did get my new arrows in a heavier spine so I could go heavier than 100 grains up front.

Im a big fan of 4 mm arrows. I prefer outsert to the deep six so I can shoot regular heads which are stronger as well. Lately I’ve been using ethic outserts with a steel collar. You won’t bend these suckers.
I think Iron will makes some great components for the 4mm arrows.