Have you cancelled hunting plans due to fuel costs/inflation?

Have you/may you cancel plans for hunting season due to inflation?

• I have cancelled a hunting trip

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • I may cancel a hunting trip

Votes: 34 11.7%
  • My plans won’t change regardless

Votes: 233 80.1%

• Total voters

Laramie

WKR
So what you’re saying is you can afford the gas.
When you can’t afford something, you don’t buy it, hence you don’t go.
No. There have been plenty of years I flat couldn't afford to go. In those instances I choose to work second jobs, found ways to car pool with other hunters, borrowed money - whatever. Elk hunting means that much to me and the rest of my family. Eventually when I can't draw Wyoming as a non-resident, my family will move to a state that we can draw regularly.

I completely understand that it doesn't mean that much to most hunters. I'm glad about that fact because there aren't enough elk to go around.

No, in other words, hunting these days doesn't get me too excited like it used to.

She actually wants me to go...
Same here my wife & i still do a lot of hunting but it just doesnt excite us like it used to we spend more time in the boat fishing and in the blind hunting waterfowl then we do hunting big game the last couple yrs

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Was planning a Southern Colorado trip but if gas hits 6.00 then we may just hunt more whitetail in OK!

I cancelled my annual pilgrimage to Washington for the bear opener because of fuel prices. It's a long trek from Illinois to WA and my truck only gets about 14 mpg usually.

My dad wants me to fly instead but I avoid planes as much as I can for several reasons. Biggest reason is that I almost always get stuck in the middle seat sandwiched between big guys. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. The lesser reason is that one of the last flights I was on, the plane blew 2 engines 1/3 of the way into the flight. Spent 5 hours with asshole puckered water tight. Never felt the same after.

Rich M

WKR
I just have a mental thing about spending 2x as much cause of some political bullchit. There is no reason we should have $5 gas. Aside from which political party is in office.

It has already affected my fishing and will affect my hunting. No traveling this year due to cost vs reward.

Have a guided trip planned for next year and will do that. Hunting around home this year.

Going Solo this year so paying for ALL THE GAS. Gas prices have doubled. So I up 300% over last year. My gas will be as much as my NR Bull Tag and that’s ridiculous. At 62 I don’t have many mountain elk trips left so I am buying gas regardless of the cost. Might swap vehicles with one of my son’s to get better mileage for the trip.

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Going Solo this year so paying for ALL THE GAS. Gas prices have doubled. So I up 300% over last year. My gas will be as much as my NR Bull Tag and that’s ridiculous. At 62 I don’t have many mountain elk trips left so I am buying gas regardless of the cost. Might swap vehicles with one of my son’s to get better mileage for the trip.
Thats a good Idea, might take my daughters lexus!

madcalfe

WKR
didn't think for a minute to cancel hunting plans. In fact bought a jet boat to get me further away. dreading the august sheep hunt fuel bill though

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
might be hunting a bit closer to home for elk/deer but wont change my plans to head north and hut stone sheep, way its looking they will prob want to take that away from us shorty.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing my first out of state trip this year. It’s not that much further of a drive, but dang those NR tags are expensive.

Tod osier

WKR
Curious what percentage of folks have.

I maybe should’ve held onto my WY points and gone CO OTC this year. I’m willing to bet there will be a marked decrease in pressure across the board, especially OTC units/states.

Trying to see the silver lining in all of this!

Doing a solo trip and looking at $2500 in gas to travel there and back if we have $5 gas. Ouch. Have at least one good tag, have the time - will do it no matter what.

Elk97

WKR
Hunting plans haven't changed (MT FWP did that for me) but fishing plans have changed. Not going out for halibut, long run, low prob. Boat get's 2.3 mpg and boat diesel is $5.39

Probably hitch-hike out to Montana . If you see an old guy with unmatched camo with holes , stick bow and kifaru fulcrum it's me not some homeless guy. Please pick me up. On the way home I figure I would steal a gas tanker truck for my vehicles. If hunting were a little slow at least the car chase would spice it up.

In reality was planning multiple small trips, but may do longer to cut down on back and forth. Sharing gas cost with a buddy

Oregon

WKR
Draw tags: no way will cancel. Wyoming deer should be drawn. Any big game hunt, fuel prices won't make me change plans.

It's all the little(shorter) trips I normally do that will be affected. For example, I like to hunt mountain turkeys. Got a great spot 340 miles away. Went in late April, shot one. Have 3 tags. Had a 3 day window in mid-may. Declined to go.
Upland hunts, a few a year I do. Maybe I'll do just one. Thankfully a waterfowl hunt is less than a gallon of gas for me.
Yesterday, I contemplated driving 65 miles one way to dig razor clams. I figured the $40 in gas wasn't a smart investment considering I already have plenty of clams in freezer.
I will have OTC deer and elk tags that are hunted within 10 miles of my house. I'm fortunate there.

So, yes. My plans have and will change.
$5.29 a gallon unleaded hurts.

Oregon

WKR
Hunting plans haven't changed (MT FWP did that for me) but fishing plans have changed. Not going out for halibut, long run, low prob. Boat get's 2.3 mpg and boat diesel is $5.39

I burn 90-100 gallons everyday I fish. Haven't put a fuel surcharge or raised prices, but.....it's starting to get skinny on the bottom line. Real skinny.

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
May pass on the pronghorn hunt this year and just go archery elk, then come back home and hunt river whitetails. They are only 45 minutes from the house!