Have you cancelled hunting plans due to fuel costs/inflation?

Have you/may you cancel plans for hunting season due to inflation?

• I have cancelled a hunting trip

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • I may cancel a hunting trip

Votes: 34 11.7%
  • My plans won’t change regardless

Votes: 233 80.1%

• Total voters

CJohnson

WKR
I’m hoping the current administration will pull some funny business to artificially lower fuel prices in September for the upcoming mid-term elections. Yes, I know that’s selfish.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m hoping the current administration will pull some funny business to artificially lower fuel prices in September for the upcoming mid-term elections. Yes, I know that’s selfish.
Great idea…like the stimulus money they “gave” us. I meant, loaned us for a year then took back 2x in taxes. All these handouts come at a cost and somehow the cost is ALWAYS more than the original handout. I’d rather them just leave me the eff alone.

GDP

FNG
I hunt in state and fuel cost is probably one of the least expensive things I spend money on!

it changes my daily trips .. i used to take off on most evenings in the spring, drive an hour and fish. that is now a $35 trip. I dont do that nearly as much.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing that changes this year is the vehicle I’m taking. Keeping the truck at home and taking the daily commuter instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
The rising gas prices gave definitely made me reconsider plans. I am not to the point that I have completely cancelled a trip per se, but this is making me rethink things such as:
  • A group of 7 of my friends and I are headed form Missouri to Montana for a SE MT deer hunt in late November. We had planned on 3 trucks (and likely still will), but we will definitely reconsider that plan.
  • In late May, I considered driving 4 hours one way to a random piece of public that I had never stepped on to do a turkey hunt in a different unit in Kansas. I planned to leave my house at midnight ish and return later in the evening... a nice caffeine bender. I had done this the prior two years. However, I decided not to due to the gas prices. If I had birds locked down, this would have been a different story.
  • If I draw a pronghorn doe tag (without a buck tag) in Wyoming I will likely let it burn instead of driving the 9 hours one way to fill it.
  • I am in a hunt club for deer locally. There are numerous properties ranging from 20 minutes from my door to multiple hours away. Last year, my favorite 3 properties were all 60-90 minutes away. I have switched more of my focus to the closer properties. I will travel further for the good dates, but I don't see myself doing as many early October sits 100 miles from my house.
  • Driving to glass bean fields for velvet WTs that will disappear once season starts is likely off the list for this summer.

I still plan to drive A LOT this fall, but I am trying to be more aware of the cost.

@j_volt you do realize there is an option to withdraw your doe app if you don’t draw buck in Wyoming, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be driving about 12 hours in my Duramax to hunt elk in Wyoming this fall. Not happy about fuel prices but not sure how many more opportunities I'll have to hunt Wyoming.

I was going to drive down and scout for my elk hunt while making it a camping trip with the wife but now I am planning to just go 5 days early and scout before the season opens.