Have you cancelled hunting plans due to fuel costs/inflation?

Have you/may you cancel plans for hunting season due to inflation?

• I have cancelled a hunting trip

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • I may cancel a hunting trip

Votes: 34 11.7%
  • My plans won’t change regardless

Votes: 233 80.1%

• Total voters
Curious what percentage of folks have.

I maybe should’ve held onto my WY points and gone CO OTC this year. I’m willing to bet there will be a marked decrease in pressure across the board, especially OTC units/states.

Trying to see the silver lining in all of this!

bsnedeker

WKR
Curious what percentage of folks have.

I maybe should’ve held onto my WY points and gone CO OTC this year. I’m willing to bet there will be a marked decrease in pressure across the board, especially OTC units/states.

Trying to see the silver lining in all of this!
I've definitely been sticking closer to home this bear season. I'm also looking at changing my plans for elk. I usually hunt 1 week, come home for a week, then go out for another week in September but I'm considering just doing two weeks straight to save on fuel costs. I'm still hunting the same amount, just doing so in a way that saves me some money.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I'm going with the better gas mileage route...
1653589399561.png

In all seriousness no. I don't care if gas is $10 a gallon - I'll figure it out. You only get so many years of elk hunting. I'm not going to miss one because I can't afford the gas.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I quit my job last year because the week before I was supposed to leave for my hunt my employer tried to deny my PTO (it had been scheduled all year). Needless to say I will risk going broke before I cancel my hunt plans lol.

No way! like stated above you only get so many seasons in your life. To be fair I hunt very close to home, so fuel prices really don't factor into my hunting budget. I am curious though if others are changing long distance travel plans based on fuel prices.

Yes. We've got a camp on the coast down here and used to visit frequently, now going for fewer but longer trips. In addition we decided not to hunt Antelope this year, not worth the drive and fuel at over $5/gal for diesel. I wouldn't cancel an Elk trip though, we didn't draw WY but will likely Colorado.

OP
B
I’m also willing to bet there is some bias here, given that if you spend time hanging out on rokslide hunting is likely a major part of your life and you take it seriously.

But the buddies/uncles/friends who tag along for the yearly general/OTC/week long beer fest might stick close to home.

I will not be changing any plans for the fall. I have a newborn at home so taking off spring bear, but if I was baiting this year, I would've changed how I did things to take it down to one trip a week instead of 2 or 3. It would be about $150 round trip for diesel just to make it to my good bait. Probably cheaper to add a kid to the family than bait bears this year.....

kpk

WKR
I've been debating going to Hawaii instead. I priced fuel the other day for a 2k mile round trip at about $400. A round trip flight to Hawaii the same day I priced fuel was just over $600. Flight to Hawaii is shorter than the drive and I have access to a condo I can stay at. Just trying to figure out if there's an affordable hunt to do there.

2rocky

WKR
Rather than budget money for an extra summer week of Scouting, and the $1600 of fuel to make the round trip, I saved the PTO and lined up a guide for a tag in a state I'll likely never be able to draw again. I'll save the DIY for an area I can hunt year after year.

Laramie

WKR
I've been debating going to Hawaii instead. I priced fuel the other day for a 2k mile round trip at about $400. A round trip flight to Hawaii the same day I priced fuel was just over $600. Flight to Hawaii is shorter than the drive and I have access to a condo I can stay at. Just trying to figure out if there's an affordable hunt to do there.
Some interesting hunts there.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also willing to bet there is some bias here, given that if you spend time hanging out on rokslide hunting is likely a major part of your life and you take it seriously.

But the buddies/uncles/friends who tag along for the yearly general/OTC/week long beer fest might stick close to home.
I would have to agree with this, most the active people on this forum are likely the people willing to pay. I mean it is only May and you might have a few months to plan out all expenses heading into whatever season you hunt. I certainly have a plan in place putting cash aside and bought needed things for the season over the winter anticipating Build Back America would do just what it is doing....

I just wish the seasons were here so we could all stop being keyboard warriors and go hunting!

last year we did Utah elk and then Colorado deer. we took 3 pickups for 5 guys so we had more trailer space. -- I'm gonna guess our Wyoming antelope hunt is one pickup for 3 guys and Colorado is 2 trucks for 6 guys this year. Colorado might even be one truck and trailer with the second vehicle being my buddy's wife's all-wheel-drive hybrid.

No less hunting, just be a bit smarter about it

Might be fewer trips to the inlaw's cabin this summer with the boat. Might still go the same amount, but in my wife's car rather than towing the boat with my truck

WCB

WKR
Just happens that this is the first year I didn't put in for a tag in WY or MT. But other than that will still make trips to the Dakotas with a bow and should get a ND rifle tag. Probably do more bird hunting. Taking a 2 wk trip out west this summer do some flyfishing so no real changes probably. It will be expensive but what the hell.