Have you ever experienced complete failure of Down Insulation?

Just wondering if you guys have ever actually experienced complete wet out with Down pieces while in the field. Was it all at once in a rain storm or falling in a creek? Was it spread out over a period of a few damp days. I've also heard that it never really loses all of its insulating properties. Is it impossible to dry out and re-fluff in the field? Anyone not have any issues with down insulation even in prolonged wet conditions? Just looking to hear about your experiences with down pieces in the field.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, Etolin island elk hunt. Constant rain and snow. Only used the jacket at night as a layer in my sleeping bag. The extreme wet and humidity killed the down around day 3. No possible way to dry it out.

jhm2023

WKR
No. A lot of long wet hunts to include spring goat on Kodiak couldn't make my down jacket or sleeping bag lose its loft. Then again I use treated down, retreat it every year and I'm diligent about keeping my stuff as dry as possible possible when I can. Hell I was snow blowing three driveways in freezing rain last night in my Kuiu superdown pro. Still nice and fluffy when I was done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Over 40 years of owning and using high quality down bags and garments....ZERO issues with water or wetting. I will say that I'm never wearing down until sub-freezing temps happen, therefore rain is not ever a worry for me. I've found it very simple to protect my down gear from getting wet.

I had an old fart sack in the army that wet out and had zero insulation property (felt like) and went from weighing 5# to 10# (felt like).

I also had a north face nuptse vest in Washingtin that seemed to get damp and cold after a few days. Not total failure but not performing like I wanted or needed.

Super tag

WKR
Agree, always take very good care of my down layer, clean and treat properly, never had an issue, only used in subzero conditions. Love my down.

rayporter

WKR
not a complete failure of down but i have noticed a definite reduction of the insulation value after many days of moist weather. weather where you just could not air out your bag and had to wear long underwear to keep warm.

that kind of weather will affect all types of insulation but i think it affects down the most.

Razco

FNG
Yes, Etolin island elk hunt. Constant rain and snow. Only used the jacket at night as a layer in my sleeping bag. The extreme wet and humidity killed the down around day 3. No possible way to dry it out.
Which jacket was it?