Have you ever got into an argument elk hunting?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Big Dan should have shut his pie-hole...but I guess Pig got his mouth shut for him that day.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, he had it coming, and long over-due.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say a bad thing about Big Dan. Assuming it’s the same one that was on bowsite forever. Never met the guy so I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♂️

bsnedeker

WKR
Shot a 6 point bull one year in a place I'd hunted for a few decades, on a Montana NR OTC Native elk tag. Came back and found the locals from the nearby MT town near where I was born and lived the first 30 years of my life, left me a note on the tailgate of my truck. You have to know the town, a good friend of mine I grew up with, a local LEO, summed it up best, "this town is nothing but a retirement community for carney's."
In fairness, those guys might have known exactly who you were.

Not elkhunting but deer hunting in SE NM 1 year i had a rancher, 1 of the Corn boys stop me on a county road and tried telling me i just came off his land when in reality it was BLM land. This was before the OnX map days and all i had was a BLM map. But when i was able to show him i knew where i was at, he went on his pissed off way.

BuzzH

WKR
In fairness, those guys might have known exactly who you were.
Doubtful...they never leave the truck except to grab a fresh bud light, take a leak, or blast a doe from the truck to fill their youth hunters tags.

Plus, they do most of their best "work" with .22's long before and after hunting seasons are over.

Was winching out a couple of stuck vehicles when a rancher pulled up. This was on public land. He told me to hurry up and I told him we’re almost done. He then told me that he’s grabbing an ax handle to bash my skull in. I ignored it as I thought he was blustering. He walked to his truck, grabbed an ax handle and walked towards me. I took that as he was serious so I greeted him with a sufficient reason to get back in his truck.

Wrapped up a few minutes later and the rancher gunned it through us. Stupid SOB got stuck in the same spot as the others. Told him to have a great day and left him.

That was my worst encounter.

Am pretty laid back and let things slide. It is not worth getting injured, not worth killing someone nor getting killed, and not worth going to jail nor prison.

BuzzH

WKR
This one was hunting related, although I was working at the time.

My work partner and I came across this little "stash" of stolen stuff while working in SE Idaho at the end of a road near an old mine:

1021160847a.jpg

We contacted the local FS office and the LEO was unavailable so we were advised to call the sheriff. We got in touch with them, told them what we found, (mostly tools, concrete stuff, generators, things obviously stolen from work sites). It was late in the day and he asked if we would take them to the place the next morning.

We met them and between the sheriff, their truck and trailer, and ours, we pretty well took up the entire small trailhead parking. We had no choice, and there was an old broke-down unloading ramp there, hadn't been used for years.

Anyway, we head to the end of the road, come around the last corner and the guy that stole all that stuff was there. The 2 officers placed the dude under arrest. They both road their wheelers down and the one officer drove his truck up the road to retrieve all the stuff. Filled a F-250 with an 8 foot bed. We helped them load it all and then went back...had taken a few hours for all this to transpire.

Loaded our ATV's and found this Hallmark inspired note on our truck window:

102116142711.jpg

No good deed goes unpunished...

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Opening morning at Tule Lake got interesting once when I returned from the hole we were going to hunt to pick up the dog and my dad. Someone threw all our decoys in the tules and claimed the hole. That didn’t go over well.

Almost every morning at the launch ramp at tule lake there was some yelling. I remember being 10 or 11 and hearing someone tell Shellbach, the local arrogant guide, he was going to kill him. I’m pretty sure he would have if he could have made it across the 10foot deep channel at the launch ramp.

Poser

WKR
Was winching out a couple of stuck vehicles when a rancher pulled up. This was on public land. He told me to hurry up and I told him we’re almost done. He then told me that he’s grabbing an ax handle to bash my skull in. I ignored it as I thought he was blustering. He walked to his truck, grabbed an ax handle and walked towards me. I took that as he was serious so I greeted him with a sufficient reason to get back in his truck.

Wrapped up a few minutes later and the rancher gunned it through us. Stupid SOB got stuck in the same spot as the others. Told him to have a great day and left him.

That was my worst encounter.

Am pretty laid back and let things slide. It is not worth getting injured, not worth killing someone nor getting killed, and not worth going to jail nor prison.

That would have been a justified lead sandwich, probably not even recommended for prosecution in a state like AZ with a few witness there. A man tells you he aims to harm you with a axe handle and then retrieves said axle handle and approaches you in a menacing manner:

giphy.gif

Marble

WKR
One time I had a guide give me shit in front of his clients. He was a real d bag. It was fun y and irritating from my perspective.

Had a guy claiming he was a land owner stating he was going to ruin my hunt, vandalize our vehicle, light off fireworks and be a general asshole. I convinced him it wasn't in his best interest to continue. It was public land and his Marijuana grow was near where we had a bull fired up.

We killed the bull and the guy felt so bad he actually went and got a little Toyota pick up and drove across the mountain side and put the whole damn thing in the back of his truck.

Only time I have hung an elk whole.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Not elkhunting but deer hunting in SE NM 1 year i had a rancher, 1 of the Corn boys stop me on a county road and tried telling me i just came off his land when in reality it was BLM land. This was before the OnX map days and all i had was a BLM map. But when i was able to show him i knew where i was at, he went on his pissed off way.
Interesting. I think I know which Corn boy that was. Sad thing is that, at least in the 90's, Mike and Jennifer were two of the nicest folks you'd ever want to meet. I'm betting they still are. But not all their family was that way.

The one you're referring to, if it's the same one, went into my buddy's camp and poured out all their water "on the fire" when they were out hunting. I had to call in the local GW to straighten him out. After that, all was well and my buddy and his three sons all tagged out.

It was in SE NM where I learned what owning just a little bit of land in the right places out west really meant.

That would have been a justified lead sandwich, probably not even recommended for prosecution in a state like AZ with a few witness there. A man tells you he aims to harm you with a axe handle and then retrieves said axle handle and approaches you in a menacing manner:

giphy.gif
Sometimes folks will do what they say they’re going to do. Don’t be dismissive and write it off.

Was a valuable lesson. Another lesson was to always be prepared.

Glad it didn’t escalate any further than it did.

Poser

WKR
Sometimes folks will do what they say they’re going to do. Don’t be dismissive and write it off.

Was a valuable lesson. Another lesson was to always be prepared.

Glad it didn’t escalate any further than it did.

I can’t help but envision is short, round, barrel of a bow legged man here. I also expect he must have gotten away with this behavior before somewhere along the way. While no doubt there is a type of guy who might be intimidated by a man with an axe handle, a hunter pulling someone else out of the mud is hardly the profile of a man with whom one would be looking to immediately escalate a non urgent situation with. That man needs a lesson in reading the room.

SPEDRAY

FNG
Not elk hunting, but antelope hunting got heated this year. I was hunting Montana Bma. Private land that is open to public with a sign in box. We were signed in and ran into some cattle. Usually where we hunted the cows are overall friendly to the point of following you around. Well these cows where any thing but friendly. They started to run away as we walked towards them. After they started running away i just stopped and sat down and waited for them to leave the area instead of pushing them. While I was sitting there a rancher rode up on his dirt bike and asked if I was a cowboy. I said no. He said then why are you running my danged cattle. Then he proceeded to started chewing me up one side and spitting me out the other. I was four miles off the nearest road and had no idea that the cows where their till I cre sted a hill and they started running. He most of been having a bad day! To top it off he told me they are just Antelope, not trophys! Talked to the warden the next day and he said he would have a talk with him and then the warden gave me his cell phone number and told me to call if I had anymore problems. Can't believe people would go out of their way to yell at someone obviously carrying a gun.

I have had a few uncomfortable encounters that I now wear a body camera. Now, they only mouth off for as long as it takes them to notice the bodycam. It is rather funny how fast their demeanor changes.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I’m Colorado 3rd season rifle my buddy and myself get in camp a whole day early so we can scout. We leave camp at first light heading out scouting for the day and I climbed almost 800’ and was hiking, glassing, looking hard for elk. I get back to camp in midday and I noticed a bunch of empty beer cans outside the tent when I went inside my hunting partner told me he knew where he was hunting the next day because he saw 2 cows and a calf 20min from camp. I asked where else he scouted he said nowhere why would I keep looking I found them. At this point I lost my cool and reminded him that we only had bull tags and what an ass for not scouting more 🤬 it was a little tense for a day

SWOHTR

WKR
L
This one was hunting related, although I was working at the time.

My work partner and I came across this little "stash" of stolen stuff while working in SE Idaho at the end of a road near an old mine:

1021160847a.jpg

We contacted the local FS office and the LEO was unavailable so we were advised to call the sheriff. We got in touch with them, told them what we found, (mostly tools, concrete stuff, generators, things obviously stolen from work sites). It was late in the day and he asked if we would take them to the place the next morning.

We met them and between the sheriff, their truck and trailer, and ours, we pretty well took up the entire small trailhead parking. We had no choice, and there was an old broke-down unloading ramp there, hadn't been used for years.

Anyway, we head to the end of the road, come around the last corner and the guy that stole all that stuff was there. The 2 officers placed the dude under arrest. They both road their wheelers down and the one officer drove his truck up the road to retrieve all the stuff. Filled a F-250 with an 8 foot bed. We helped them load it all and then went back...had taken a few hours for all this to transpire.

Loaded our ATV's and found this Hallmark inspired note on our truck window:

102116142711.jpg

No good deed goes unpunished...

This note is great. I hope you kept it.

Not an argument but disappointment... after we finished setting up camp one of the group realized he left his BP meds & the fifth of Fireball in the truck ... which resulted in a 5 hour hike